BBC's Sherlock

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:I've been whimpering pathetically in delight at watching this.
Please videotape that for posterity. Thank you.

:wooper:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, puh-leeez! :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, rub it in, why don't you. Here, put some salt on it, too. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I was a bit annoyed that Moriarity is mentioned as early as the first season's first episode.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It finally aired in the States last night. Yeah, everyone who cared enough already saw it. I didn't.

It was an engaging show, but the premise was, frankly, laughable from my professional perspective. A single copy of important data, all of it on one piece of media, making it impossible to deal with multiple parties separately? No backups? Protected by a FOUR-character code (ok, with a limited number of attempts, but still)? This is supposed to be an intelligent character?

Apart from that, I had fun watching it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That struck us, too. It used to be a really common plot problem back before computer use got pervasive and the Internet showed everyone just how hard it is to contain anything digital. There was always The Disk! With the key information available nowhere else! And somehow uncopiable so you can't create and hide backups so when Bad Guy steals it the world is not doomed.

I really didn't expect to see that plot again in the 21st century. Though of course the original story hinges on exactly that kind of information—letters written in the identifiable hand of an eminent person that revealed a compromising relationship. Copies (written out by hand by someone else) would have no value.

That said, this show was a fun update of A Scandal in Bohemia and pleasantly twisty.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I tried to watch it last night, but it didn't seem like it was entirely appropriate for the girls to watch with me. :( So I had to switch it to something else. I'm bummed because I've been wanting to catch it, and it did look good.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Check for late-night repeats—PBS seems to like to do that. Maybe you could record it and watch it alone? Or stay up?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I let my son watch. I don't know what he made of the "dominatrix" aspect, but what was actually shown on screen was not graphic. IMO and ymmv as usual.

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

We have repeats at 2 AM Monday and 9 PM Thursday locally. We missed a bit last night because of putting-child-to-bed issues.

And yeah, definitely, there were some questions we didn't want to have to answer if our son asked about them.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'll have to try. (I don't have the ability to tape shows right now, but I might be able to catch it at a later time when the girls are not around.)
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Try PBS online - they sometimes allow streaming there. That's how I saw the first season.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, good idea! I will, narya. Thanks!

We were already chuckling at much of it. Maybe other episodes will be more suitable for the girls. <crosses fingers>
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I don't recall anything so titillating from the first season...but that's as close as he gets to a love interest, so there's that.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Finally saw the first episode of the new season last night. Quite enjoyable! My only complaint is that Watson wasn't given enough to do. The final twist made me squeal with delight, though. Well done!
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The twist gave me shivers AND made me misty at the same time. Damn, I wish I could write like that.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The girls and I are watching the first season on Netflix. Love it!

I think I'm developing a crush on Watson. That might be handy for The Hobbit. :D
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I share your crush. :love:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:love: You have impeccable taste! :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

[quote="WampusCat"]Finally saw the first episode of the new season last night. Quite enjoyable! My only complaint is that Watson wasn't given enough to do. The final twist made me squeal with delight, though. Well done![/quote

Don't worry, Wampus, I seem to remember Watson gets a much bigger role in the next episode (Hound) :)

Glad to hear people are enjoying this second series so far...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes