The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Pearly Di wrote: But if I remember correctly, the book is less explicit about it, or at least written in a way that didn't harrow my soul. The tone of the books is not sensationalist, at all.
The books are pretty explicit, but the tone softens the blows. As you said, it's not sensationalist. And the overall not-sensationalistic approach to sex in the trilogy has the added bonus of drawing a clear, hard line between safe, sane, and consensual sex games and violence and sadism.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
DyanSwan

Post by DyanSwan »

I'm a fan of the books and the Swedish film adaptations of the books.

However, I was surprised by the U.S. film adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and liked it nearly as well as the Swedish version. I didn't like how Harriet's storyline was wrapped up in the U.S. film. It too far off from the book for me.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

DyanSwan wrote:I'm a fan of the books and the Swedish film adaptations of the books.

However, I was surprised by the U.S. film adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and liked it nearly as well as the Swedish version. I didn't like how Harriet's storyline was wrapped up in the U.S. film. It too far off from the book for me.
I agree, DyanSwan, Harriet's twist also seemed a bit unrealistic to me. Someone hiding away in Australia, sure. Isn't London a bit too close for comfort? I mean, the Wagners were quite powerful (business empire and all that), quite possible someone would have looked up Anita in London.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Would the book or movie have been as popular in English-speaking countries if they used the Swedish title -- translated, of course: Men Who Hate Women?