10 best songs you've ever heard

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

The hit song from '59 was by the Percy Faith Orchestra.
samwarg

percy faith

Post by samwarg »

That's right, now I remember! I had the hots for Sandra Dee.

Hey, you're really good at this, baby tuck. Ok, who performed "Shangri-la"?
still trying to get it right
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Baby tuck was there at the time, and the pre-Beatles stuff was his life, shallow though it was. That, and the Giants on the AM radio.

I was (and still am) inexcusably fond of that mid-century crap. Oh yes, there was good stuff, there always is, but the general fodder on the Top Ten pandered to the passing generation, those who had grown up hearing Big Bands. How else can you explain The Bachelors, who had three #1's in a row doing covers of '40's songs?

The British Invasion was accomplished with an America complicit for the reasons just stated. Even the great Sinatra was hurled into the trash bin by many. (His response was to get goofy: "High Hopes" and "Rubber Tree." You know what I mean.) In 1966 I played Dean Martin 8-tracks in the first car I drove, and I suffered ridicule from my peers. But then, I loved the Big Bands. They were my icons, those were real songs. I knew so much about the genre that my father-in-law thought me some kind of sideshow freak: I was 26 when I met him (circa his own children) but I embraced his beloved Swing with apparent sincerity.

It was natural, then, to tolerate the schmaltz of the early '60's when many of my fellows considered it Martini Music. Soft for the lounge. Even Swing didn't Rock, if you can follow that logic. It does, of course, but fashion knows no reason.

The truth is that "it's all good", as goes the current panagyric.

"Had" the hots for Sandra Dee?????? I'd probably crawl into the grave for her were it not for the unpleasant side effects of necromany and her incessant pining for Bobby Darrin. It's not like they really liked each other or anything.

So, I've been buying time to think about the "Shangi-la" question. No googling. That's not fair. Let's see, first line: "Your kisses take me to Shangri-la." Sweet Jesus, wasn't it The Lettermen, trying to break out of their folk straightjacket by dint of orchestration? They might as well hire Percy Faith.
samwarg

mid-century

Post by samwarg »

If you got your first car in '66, we must be about the same age. I was "there" too, (I'll be 59 in a few days) but I was most interested in folk and rock in those days. I don't know who did "Shangri-la", but it's one of those tunes from that era like "Wonderland by Night" or the previously mentioned ones that got embedded in my memory.

I had the hots for Hedi Lamarr when she played opposite Victor Mature in "Samson and Delilah", and I was only about five years old, so I guess I fell for a lot of actresses. Then there was Esther Williams, Sophia Loren, Gina Lolabrigida, Jayne Mansfield and Sandra Dee. I guess I still had that super-clean boyhood image of her when she died, because I was real disapointed to hear that she was a smoker.

My first 8-tracks were "Abbey Road" and Mountain "Climbing". I had about 120 8-tracks that I gave away when I finally switched to cassettes in 1982. I made the same mistake when VCR's came out and bought a Beta instead of VHS.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

"Wonderland by Night" is easy: Bert Kemfort, though I think I spelled it wrong. He was a trumpet playing German who produced some instrumental hits in America. He might have done a "Red Roses for a Blue Lady" also, before Wayne Newton.

I was actually only 14 in '66, but it was a rural life and it was three miles to the bus stop for high school (which was itself 55 miles away . . . that's right, 55 miles each way, every day, and all of it mountain two lanes.) My step-father got up at 5:30 to take me to the bus stop for about a week my freshman year, missing the bus by five minutes once and having to chase the bus down the holler to a stop further on. So I was given the keys to the pick-up truck that was our utility vehicle, a '48 Ford with a three-speed on the floor and no synchro-mesh and an unreliable generator that made it necessary roll-start it most of the time, which was easy since this was the mountains and a hill was always available so long as you planned a bit before you stopped the engine. At first I was forbidden to drive anywhere but to the bus stop and back, but that was soon forgotten and it was my ride whenever I needed it. An actual driver's license was a mere formality two years later. I was much more mature then than I am now.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

baby tuckoo wrote:I was (and still am) inexcusably fond of that mid-century crap. Oh yes, there was good stuff, there always is, but the general fodder on the Top Ten pandered to the passing generation, those who had grown up hearing Big Bands.
Reading your post makes me think of my brother Adam, only his era is the teens and early twenties of the 20th century. His primary avocation is World War I aviation.

This was first inspired when my father purchased small toy planes for us when we were small children. Mine was a Sopwith Camel, his was a red Fokker Dr.I Triplane. Since that time he's learned to speak German like a native--he holds a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in German--and has translated works about WWI aviators from German to English. A biography he translated, Julius Buckler: Malaula! The Battle Cry of Jasta 17, is being released in May of this year. He also wrote the foreward.

Oh, and he has visited the home of Manfred von Richtofen, aka "The Red Baron", that he'd seen in a photograph. The house is in Poland in what was then Prussia.

I recall a project he did, I think it was for his masters, involving an artistic style popular around 1920 called Expressionism. However, I don't think he's particularly into the music of that period. He does prefer more avant garde sort of stuff, though.

I tried to interest him in the song cycles of Franz Schubert, Die Schöne Müllerin specifically, but it held no interest for him. I think it was written 100 years too soon, although he enjoys Beethoven. In fact, one time I took him to see Beethoven's Fidelio at the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco. He enjoyed it. :)

So as eccentric as you may think me, I'm not even close to being the most eccentric person in my family. :D
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Ach, yes, German Expressionism. Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari in the cinema. Also Metropolis. Pretty wild stuff. Then you've got the painters. Their intent was a modernism that declined classical convention or romantic cliche. Some people really like it. I think it's . . . interesting.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

When I spoke with my brother he mentioned that Expressionism actually started around 1907 in Dresden with some of the painters. My exposure to this movement, quite naturally, is through atonal music with its 12-tone row and all of that. Perhaps the best known composer of such works is Arnold Schönberg.

CSU Sacramento, where I earned my music degree, was/is a big proponant of twentieth century music. Every year they have, or had, the Festival of New American Music. I recall that I was also required to take a course in 20th century music theory.

The composer of that genre whose music I most enjoyed was Paul Hindemith, although perhaps it was his philosphy moreso than his music. It's been a long time and I don't recall precisely. What I do recall was that Schönberg was more than capable of writing music that I would have enjoyed if only he had used traditional diatonicism.

Goldberry and I saw Alban Berg's opera Lulu in San Francisco in 1989. (Berg was a student of Schönberg's.) Ann Panagulias, the young soprano performing the title role, was phenomenal. I have no idea how she sung the stuff she was required to sing. She'd have to sing these high and difficult phrases, and I have no idea where she got the pitch to begin a phrase because it certainly wasn't in the orchestra. I'm guessing that the role might require having perfect pitch.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Hedy Lamarr and Victor Mature in Samson and Delilah.

Omigoodness.

Brought to mind another ancient childhood crush: Jeff Chandler. On a scale of 10? Jeff Chandler was 119. *sigh* Lex Barker as Tarzan.

But music: Hank Williams. Tony Bennett. How about Eddie Fisher "O, my Papa"?

I got "Stranger on the Shore" for Christmas (Acker Bilk), and the year before, Jorgen Englund (SP?) "Apache". Wonderful stuff.

Still, for sheer all-around fun and wonderfulness, you can't beat ABBA. ABBA rulz. :D
Dig deeper.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing Queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, digging the Dancing Queen
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

You're a brave man Tom. To me, Expressionism and Romanticism are the hardest musical forms to tolerate. I don't mind these inclinations so much in their visual forms for some reason.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Well, I don't know how brave I am, at least when it comes to the music I listened to in college. The courses I mentioned were required, and the series of operas I wanted to see included Lulu in the set, so I didn't have much choice there, either.

I actually enjoyed Lulu, although the ending is very chilling. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say I found it interesting. IIRC the character Lulu is forced into a life of prostitution, and is ultimately one of Jack the Ripper's many victims. (Bugs Bunny's line at the conclusion of What's Opera, Doc? --"What did you expect, a happy ending?"--is certainly apropos to Lulu.)

You don't care for Romantic music, baby? It seems to me that most fans of so-called "classical" music prefer the music of the late 19th century. That certainly includes my dad and my wife, and a good college friend of mine with whom I saw several operas. They like those lush sounds of a full orchestra.

I personally prefer Baroque (early 18th century) and Classical (late 18th century), although I am very fond of the music of Claude Debussy (1862-1918) and Giacomo Puccini (1858-1924). Debussy is one of the if not THE leading composer of the Impressionistic movement. More and more I think of George Gerschwin (1898-1937) as the outstanding figure of 20th century "serious" music. What a pity he did not have a longer life to compose even more brilliant music.

I find Baroque and Classical music more intimate. Rather than the wave of sound you get in Romantic era, you can hear the voices of the individual instruments. Smaller orchestras are certainly much friendlier to voices, too. You don't have to be a 350 lb. behemoth with a voice capable of peeling paint off the wall in order to be heard. :D
samwarg

barefooted through the snow to school

Post by samwarg »

That was some bus ride you had to take, baby tuck. It beats the heck out of the one I took for the 7th and 8th grades after our junior highschool burned down and they had to bus us to a tiny school out in the sticks. I'd ride one bus from my house to the highschool, then get on another bus that took us to the other school. I think they cut each period by five minutes to make up for the bus riding time.

My stepdad also had a '48 Ford truck with three-speed on the floor. It was a 3/4 ton with the big 17" inch wheels. The first car I ever drove was a '48 Ford sedan with a three-speed on the column. I was thirteen when my dad gave me my first driving lesson in that car.

I became an instant Beatles fan when they arrived, and liked most all of that music from the first British invasion. (There were two, ya know) I also developed a keen appreciation for folk music. I was just nuts about Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, the Kingston Trio and Bob Dylan. When I started learning to play guitar, almost all the songs I practiced were folk songs. I still love that kind of music.

Jeff Chandler, oh yes, I remember that well-tanned actor. How about Randolph Scott, Gary Cooper or Johnny Weismuller? Boy, my age is showing. I still remember a very young looking Christopher Lee when he played in "Frankenstien" with Peter Cushing.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

After returning from a fantastically fantastic dance spectacular, I believe that perhaps Shout! should be somewhere on this list. Pick the Isley Brother or the Otis Day version, I don't care, they both rock. Though I think I give Otis the edge. Either way...

....you know you make me wanna...

Shout!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

melianndoriath

Post by melianndoriath »

Don't know if this is any indication of my mental state, but Led Zepp's Dazed and Confused is among MY top 10 ever!!

Meli
And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar harken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

...you know you make me wanna...

Shout!
You know, if the power of music is held in its ability to make us want to move our tushies, that's a very powerful song. :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:D I tried to make my list a group of songs that were The Best at ______. After being on the dance floor and watching people's reaction to it a couple weeks ago, it indeed might deserve to fill in the blank with "Booty Shakin'". :D
-The Decemberists

melianndoriath

Post by melianndoriath »

For me, music first goes int my ears, travels into my brain and bounces around there for a short bit. Sometimes the beat shows up in the tapping of my feet, but if the sounds are REALLY good, the boody gets moving!! :woohoo:
(Know it's not really "good", but "Play that Funky Music" gets me shakin')

Meli
And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar harken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

melianndoriath wrote:Don't know if this is any indication of my mental state, but Led Zepp's Dazed and Confused is among MY top 10 ever!!

Meli
The studio version or the epic, thirty minute long live version? :)
melianndoriath wrote: "Play that Funky Music" gets me shakin')

Meli
I’ve been listening to a rather odd playlist (odd for me, at least) of songs recently that includes that one. They don’t have much in common except that are all songs that get the booty movin’, so to speak (that’s what’s odd - I’m one of those poor saps who wouldn’t get out on a dance floor for any amount of money, not without a copious amount of alcohol, and fortunately those days are far behind me). They’re great songs though, and just a blast to listen to and jump around to (when nobody’s looking ;)).

A few examples:

Groove Is In the Heart - Deee-Lite
99 Luftballoons - Nena
Am I the Same Girl - Swing Out Sister
Girlfriend Is Better - Talking Heads
Rapture - Blondie
Don’t Turn Around - Ace Of Base
Beercan - Beck
Kiss That Frog - Peter Gabriel
My Doorbell - The White Stripes

You know, looking at it now, that’s one of the strangest lists of songs I’ve ever seen! :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

tinwë wrote:You know, looking at it now, that’s one of the strangest lists of songs I’ve ever seen! :)
You'd need some hip-hop in there to really complete the effect. ;)
-The Decemberists