John Carter (2012)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

John Carter (2012)

Post by Maria »

Trailer:
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi938384409/

I'm very carefully *not* going to re-read any of the Barsoom books before going to see this. It might be OK.

"A Princesss of Mars" was published in 1912.
One hundred years later- a movie.
I hope they do it right.
They never do on Tarzan movies.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That trailer definitely does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. But trailers often completely fail to capture what a movie is really like, so I won't totally give up hope. Still, oy!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I have just been wallowing on Barsoom. I don't see that guy as John Carter - I always saw someone like . . . . hm . . . . Sterling Hayden? (With black hair, of course. :D ) Or, and I kid you not: The Rock. :D

Oh, well.

I see that Dejah Thoris is a long way from naked.

Tuff, eh? :D
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I could see The Rock (who I believe goes by a human-style name now) in that role, too; John Carter with a little leavening of humor to lighten the whole mighty-thews thing might be appealing.

I can't judge much from that trailer, except that I wish Barsoom looked less like the U.S. desert Southwest. Where's the red moss of the dead sea bottoms? Where, in fact, is the red planet at all?

And why isn't Dejah Thoris properly red?

Maybe they're going to color-correct it all.

The few quick flashes of the Green Men of Barsoom didn't look convincing, but I'm sure they weren't final, either.

The two moons of Barsoom, OTOH, look just right to me: nothing like they would really look, but just as ERB seemed to imagine them, as a couple of moons much like ours. (I was relieved that they were in the same phase, being right next to each other in the sky.)

I do hope they hurtle.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Well, only one hurtles . . . . Thuria, I believe.

As you know. :D
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I guess I just figured since they both orbit close to Mars, they'd both hurtle . . . but now that I look it up, it's Thuria (Phobos) who hurtles from west to east in a little over 4 hours, twice every day, and Cluros (Deimos), her "cold spouse," who moves from east to west and is in the sky for like 2.7 days between rising and setting. Pretty spectacular. ("Thuria" really is about a third the width of our full moon; "Cluros" looks more like a star.)

And I am supposed to be working, not geeking out. :help:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

My objection isn't to the look, it is to the tone. The emphasis on "only you can save this world." This should be primarily a love story, with Dotar Sojat willing to take on a whole hostile world in order to win the hand of the alien woman that he loves. And a story of friendship, with Tars Tarkas, Kantos Kan, Sola, and Woola (this all from memory; I haven't read the book in probably 20 years). The "saving the world bit" is just a sidelight at the end of the story, and still should be about saving the world in order to save Dejah. I fear that they will not at all capture the spirit of this great book.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Huh. Not impressed with this guy either. Too young, not tough enough. Dejah... Meh. Does she really need to turn into another Xena wannabe?

The Rock could work. Too bad Arnie is old for the role, he could do excellent naked barbarians in his day.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Trailer tone and movie tone are independent variables. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm hoping it's a marketing decision for the trailer. "Only you can save the world," with action and a beautiful woman and swordplay, makes a simple message.

Of course, it's possible, even likely, that that decision carried beyond marketing into the film itself, which would be sad. This is a film that could be like Avatar in its appeal, with action thrills, scary monsters, and fearless warriors on the one hand and an appealing love story in a gorgeous, exotic setting on the other. I would love to see them at least try to capture some of the book's romance and eccentric appeal.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I would like that, too. And yet, I am afraid that Voronwë is probably right.

The Rock - Dwayne Johnson - would have been my first choice. He has the right heroic chops and the sense of humour that would render the silliness bearable. Even if Arnold S. was 20 years younger, I would never in a million years have chosen him.

Given that there are 11 books in the series, it would have been possible to make a series of movies. Not 11! Great Scott, no. But 3, I would say: Warlord of Mars and Gods of Mars after the first one.

I do most sincerely hope that Dejah Thoris is going to be red-skinned and that dear old Tars Tarkas is on board. Woola, too. And Sola . . .

Oh, dear.

Is this going to be LOTR all over again? :(
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Dwayne Johnson. That's it. I like him a lot. Anyone who goes from wrestler to action star to revealing himself as a man named Dwayne is clearly not afraid of anything.

As for John Carter the film—I would regret to see an opportunity wasted, but it wouldn't feel like having LotR turn out to be something I couldn't watch with any pleasure.* "There are always the books" and all that, and also I think there'd be more likely to be another attempt within our lifetime than with LotR.

*In fact I like the LotR films quite a lot, as vison knows.
Voronwë the Faithful

The fact that they changed the name from "A Princess of Mars" to "John Carter" is not particularly encouraging. I seriously doubt that this film will be any good. Who's directing it? And what studio is producing it?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's directed by Andrew Stanton, stars Taylor Kitsch (!!!), and is from Walt Disney Pictures.

IMDB link
Voronwë the Faithful

So am I gathering correctly that this is his live action directorial debut? He certainly has directed some very excellent animated films, but how will that translate. On the other hand, the screenplays that he has written for those animated films are very well done, so hopefully that will also be the case here (although those are all, so far as I know, original screenplays, not adaptations of a beloved book).

I'm still going to be very skeptical on this one. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised (as I was by FOTR) than bitterly disappointed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think anyone would agree, Voronwë! :hug:

The fact that he can both write and direct a good story is good news. That it's Disney is also good news; they don't tend to just exploit a property and move on.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, having never read the books, that looks like it could be stonking good fun, which I imagine is the style they're going for. Looks like "The Mummy" or "Prince of Persia". Good old fashioned B-Movie sensibilites updated for the modern audience.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Just pointing out it would be difficult to have Dwayne Johnson as JC without changing his back story a bit.

The costume style in the trailers reminds me somewhat of the early pulp covers, as opposed to the text.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

He wouldn't be the first Southern gentleman with a similarly interesting backstory.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I, for one, hope they drop almost all of the "Virginia gentleman" stuff. Even when I first read it, back in the actual 50s, it was icky.
Dig deeper.