John Carter (2012)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Very little more and very much the same as what we've already seen, was my impression. Nor do the effects look more polished. My enthusiasm is lagging for this now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My enthusiasm evaporated when I saw the actor cast in the main role. Reedy thing, and that thin beard does not help at all. Meh. This movie needs eye candy to sell. [/i]
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Here's some new footage

http://youtu.be/_pMRf9-Yzko
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Our world is at war, and Earth is next."

What the heck are they on about? This is looking less and less like an adaptation of the book and more like something with some of the characters and creatures from the book, but no real relation to the story.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:"Our world is at war, and Earth is next."

What the heck are they on about? This is looking less and less like an adaptation of the book and more like something with some of the characters and creatures from the book, but no real relation to the story.
For the luvva pete. :rage:

Well, I was never very hopeful and now I'm less so. :(

It could have been such a fun movie! I never thought it could be "serious", but it could have been fun like the first Indiana Jones movies or The Mummy movies, that sort of thing.

It seems to me that the story was just made for a movie, just the way it was.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

It might still be a fun movie, for those who haven't read the books. I really can't say. But I have far too much of a connection with this story to be able to enjoy something that strays as far as this is appearing to. My only hope is that the trailers and such are grossly mischaracterizing the way the film will actually turn out.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's not an unreasonable hope, but we'll see. Mainstream reviewers probably won't help; they won't know the books and won't care. Fortunately there are always geeks who get sneak peeks and can warn (or possibly encourage) the rest of us.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It might still be a fun movie, for those who haven't read the books.
Thats certainly my hope, and for the record this looks exactly like an Indiana Jones/Mummy Returns movie to me. But then I enjoyed Prince of Persia so obviously I have a very high tolerance for family action adventure cheese! And who knows, maybe it will serve as a further impetus for kids to pick up the ERB books. I know my son will be more interested in reading them if he's seen the movie.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

AICN's Quint visits the John Carter set and posts a looooong (and spoilery) report (so long I won't be able to really read it until tonight):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53465

Skimming it brought up some interesting details and some changes that will probably be controversial for book fans. And some heartening stuff; there does appear to be some real knowledge of the books involved, and respect as well. The changes don't seem to be based on ignorance or not caring, but on what is technically possible and sometimes on a more modern vision of the story, for better or worse. I'll probably have more to say when I've really read the whole thing.

(Quint says he's returning to The Hobbit next.)
Voronwë the Faithful

Probably the most interesting thing about that report is that Stanton is planning to film The Gods of Mars and The Warlord of Mars as well. Interesting. A lot of stuff in there that I didn't like the sound of, but I'm not ready to completely give up on it yet.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Ahmna seeyit! :D
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have to say guys, I'm really looking forward to this. I'm not a book firster (and am deliberately not reading till after I see this) but this looks like pure Flash Gordon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... R6HUkzxjR0

and King Kong all mixed into one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf55GTEZ_E
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Looks good to me! :D
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

So this guy who's playing John Carter is from Beautiful SuperNatural British Columbia. He lived in Kelowna, and then lived and played hockey in Langley! He was going to be a professional hockey player but had to give up that dream due to an injury.

I guess I'll have to go see it now. :(
Dig deeper.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/03/04/j ... e-preview/

Like the link says, a ten minute chunk of the film.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Speaking as someone who only knew the stories vaguely and second hand, the movie was pretty all right. There were fast parts and slow parts, but the fast parts weren't so fast as to confuse and the slow parts didn't drag. The tone is respectful but not drearily so: the intent is not camp, but there are funny bits along the way, and they are played as funny bits.

One thing I AM convinced of now is that most movie reviewers are kinda dim. Many complained about there being too many funny sounding names to remember. There are roughly six that matter.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I almost went to see it this weekend.
Couldn't find the motivation though, for that or much of anything.
Plan on seeing it fairly soon though.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

So, one article I read says it's the biggest flop since Ishtar.

Sad, if true. :(
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sounds like the critics are unhappy with it, but reviews on torc are pretty positive. I might go this weekend, if it keeps raining.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I repeat my previous assertion: most film critics are stupid. Maybe one in ten is bright enough to understand the fundamentals of film AND remember more than three names. That's not even accounting for the ones with tastes so narrow they can never be trusted to see movies in half the genres out there.

But more than that: anytime a big budget movie comes out, so do the knives. The parasites on the fringe of the industry like nothing better than a story of colossal hubris and failure, and they'll invent it if need be.