Winter is Coming: A Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Or the ebook, a format designed to replace big cheap nasty paperbacks.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

An ebook reader is not in my immediate future, alas. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Well I'm hooked on the show. I thought it was very enjoyable. And the ending literally made me gasp!

I've ordered the book as well. This looks like it will be a great read. :)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Okay. The chances of me watching anything before the weekend are about nil. I've read the entire series, so it's not like I'll get spoiled. So, um, can you tell me what the first episode covers? You can PM me. Please?

ETA: Eru, you're in for a treat. The world-building is intricate enough it can almost be compared to Tolkien.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Sure I can tell you.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Shirriff note: I've edited this post to remove a link to an illegal source of this show. I know we are all eager to see this, but we can't permit any kind of exchange of illegal downloads or links to them here. That's not because of any views we may hold about copyright (that's another discussion for another forum), it's because our host can and would take down this site without notice if they received a complaint from a copyright holder. So this is something we have to patrol very closely.

I'll continue to do this if it happens again. Please, respect the situation we're in and follow this rule. Thanks.

—Primula Baggins, for the marshals

I just watched the first episode on my computer.

Good stuff! Follows the book pretty closely, too and I thought the characters were spot on. Hope I am able to keep watching! ;)
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

vison wrote:But Maria's comment about adding extra sex and violence - is it really "adding" or "making it worse" or is it that the events in a book SEEM worse when they are translated to the screen?
With the True Blood series, they added so many events and situations and characters that did not even exist in the books, that it seemed to be for the sole purpose of providing more sex scenes per episode.

After I started the books, I had to treat them as alternate universes in my mind. There was just no way to reconcile the differences between the two media after the first few episodes any more.

With Game of Thrones, though, I'd say they have more than enough material to keep from adding stuff. Maybe they'll stick to the story as told in the books?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm more than halfway through the first book, and it's pulling me in as nothing has for a while. I have so little time to read for fun that I've gotten way out of the habit and the skills are rusty: I have trouble sinking into a book.

Not this one.

I don't claim that it's brilliant literature, because if it were, I probably couldn't get so immersed. :P That's not poor-mouthing; I don't think I'm an idiot, I have written novels that were published and will write more. But when the shine on the prose is really bright, then because that's my business, it distracts me; I can't fall into the story.

But this is perfect for immersive, pleasurable reading, for me. Yes, it's cruel in spots. But there are also, well, actual heroes. People who do what is right because it is right, and distinct from "honor" in the traditional knightly damn-the-torpedoes, and-never-mind-the-women sense. I like that. The world-building is rich (Martin has written SF too, which I think gives him an advantage over many fantasy writers who have not; there's a consistency and precision and solidity you have to learn [and I am still learning :blackeye: ]).

Anyway. I look forward to watching the series, but am in no hurry. I want to read these first.

Ob. Tolkien reference: Tolkien it ain't. But almost nothing is.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

No. It ain't Tolkien. Someone dubbed him an American Tolkien, but that's bull. There was and will only ever be one JRR Tolkien.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I got my book in the mail! And was excited to see how long it is! I'm really looking forward to this. :D

The cliffhangers in the TV show are horrible. Can we fast forward to Sunday please? :P
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I started reading the first book ( and was not shocked by anything so far...)
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Then clearly, you haven't gotten to the shocking part yet. ;)
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I am nearing the end and must say that there are several shocking parts. . . .

I must become more jaded. I simply must.

Yes, I will be ordering book 2.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I don't even have the actual books. We listened to audio books checked out from the library. That series made for many months of commuting listening. When we finally got to the end, we didn't really know what to do with ourselves.

I think we eventually started the Harry Potter series over again. Or was it the Dresden series? Can't remember. We've gone through both those series several times. We spend a lot of time on the road, I guess!

Right now we are listening to the Farseer series. I'm so glad they came out with it in audio book! :) I've had the books for years and knew my husband would like them, but he never takes time to read books anymore. Says his eyes bother him too much when he does. I was right, though. He does like Robin Hobb's work. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'd love to be able to do that, but living where I do I'm rarely in the car for more than five minutes, and even then only two or three times a week. And I can't listen while I work, because my work involves reading. Maybe when (if :( ) we retire and start taking some road trips. . . .
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I took to listening to audiobooks (classics free from iTunes U) and lectures (free from iTunes U) as I do housework. I am halfway through Huckleberry Finn and almost caught up on the History of Philosophy, going through Plato. :)

This one I'd have to read the old-fashioned way. I am hesitant - lately I don't deal very well with disturbing material.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I'm already in the middle of book one, so I think I should have been shocked by now. :?
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Erunáme wrote:The cliffhangers in the TV show are horrible. Can we fast forward to Sunday please? :P
I know eh? An hour (without commercials!) flies by. And just when you are good and hooked and ready for more wham! roll credits. Grrrr. It's not even nessessary really. People will tune in next week, they can count on that.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I'm in the same place as you Nin. No shocks, but I'm really enjoying it and hooked.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I only saw the first episode so far, but I have already registered several. I want to read first and then only watch.

I am quite hooked also, even purposely going by bus rather than by bike to school so that I can read. ;)