Winter is Coming: A Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Okay. If you've never read the books and you aren't caught up on the show, my post was a spoiler. But if that's the case I'd have to ask what you're even doing in this thread!
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Well, some people (like JewelSong) have not yet gotten around to watching all four seasons, but might want to discuss what they've seen so far. So it's probably safest for us to put spoiler tags on everything! :)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I adjusted the tags.
Hidden text.
Makes for a fabulous looking discussion, doesn't it?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

How about if we edit the thread title to include "(spoilers for aired episodes)" and talk openly about those, but use spoiler tags for events, including book events, that haven't yet occurred in the series? Those are much less frequently mentioned anyway.

I say this as someone who has been hung up unwilling to watch the Red Wedding for a year, and finally got through it a couple of nights ago at my brother's urging. Now I should be able to catch up, but I'm not worried about spoilers for episodes I personally haven't seen yet. Like a lot of us, I think, I'd rather see a lively discussion and risk the occasional spoiler.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

As long as book spoilers are clearly marked I'm ok with everything else. As I said, this is my hangup and I'll just stay out of the thread if people want to discuss book stuff.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

River wrote:I adjusted the tags.
Hidden text.
Makes for a fabulous looking discussion, doesn't it?
Very post-modern!
Passdagas the Brown

Primula Baggins wrote:How about if we edit the thread title to include "(spoilers for aired episodes)" and talk openly about those, but use spoiler tags for events, including book events, that haven't yet occurred in the series? Those are much less frequently mentioned anyway.

I say this as someone who has been hung up unwilling to watch the Red Wedding for a year, and finally got through it a couple of nights ago at my brother's urging. Now I should be able to catch up, but I'm not worried about spoilers for episodes I personally haven't seen yet. Like a lot of us, I think, I'd rather see a lively discussion and risk the occasional spoiler.
I like this workaround and support it fully. As we don't want to keep Alatar out of his own thread, let's hope he thinks it's a good idea too!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Alatar wrote:Personally I would expect Book Spoilers to be marked as such. I stay out of here until I'm up to date with the TV series. It didn't occur to me that River's spoiler was a Book Spoiler until I had glanced at it.
Ah, that makes sense then. I was kinda wondering what you were on about. :P

Great idea, Primster! Although I am not in much danger of revealing book story line, since I seem to remember so little of it.

I know this is going to be heresy, but was anyone else a bit underwhelmed with Ygritte's death? I expected it, so maybe that was the problem for me. Or maybe I have cooled off on my empathy to her since she routinely has murdered so many innocents.

And her final sentence to Jon is the only time in this whole show that I kind of rolled my eyes, a little. I mean, really. Could it have been any more "poignant" a thing for her to say? Saw that one coming, yes I did.

On the other hand, I'm still not over the Viper's death. :( That man was amazing.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I was not underwhelmed by Ygritte's death. The aura of regret and lost opportunities brought tears to my eyes. She and John were both so headstrong and true to their values -- that drew them together but also tore them apart. When she hesitated, John had such a look of hope and love on his face ... and even though I read the books, I couldn't help but hope that they would be able to overcome the violence between their clans, overcome their own betrayals. I hoped they could start anew. Yes, she was a killer, but ...

Oh well. The arrow of well-deserved justice trumps the hope of redemptive love. :cry:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Since Alatar has given his approval, I'll change the thread title.

Spoiler principles going forward:

• No spoiler tags are needed for any episode that has already aired, which as of this Sunday will be seasons 1 through 4 in the United States. Anyone behind on the aired episodes reads here at their own risk.

• Please use spoiler tags for discussing book characters or events that have not yet appeared in an aired episode.

Thanks.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I've read all the books,but only seen Season One. But I don't care about spoilers. I just figure everyone dies at the end.

:D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

JewelSong wrote:I've read all the books,but only seen Season One. But I don't care about spoilers. I just figure everyone dies at the end.

:D
That's impossible. There won't be anyone left alive at the end to die. In fact, the last eighty pages of the last book will be empty, because the omniscient narrator was accidentally eviscerated by a giant's ingrown toenail.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

You know; for all the talk about how kill-happy Martin is, the number of major character deaths really is not that high (so far) for something that is essentially one long pre-modern war story, especially considering how many pages there are in sum. But several of them are quite unexpected and violate expectations. I think that's the bigger offense in most readers' minds--not that he kills characters, but that he kills them the wrong way.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I saw the "after" interview on this episode, and the writers confess that they killed a couple of people that Martin had not. (Poor Pip! As if he wasn't cannon fodder from the beginning....)

Wampus, I understand your words, but... I dunno. I am as much of a romantic as anyone, and the your poetic note about arrow of justice vs. redemptive love is well written.

I probably should leave this thought alone... I knew others wouldn't agree. Let's just say I felt worse about Pip dying. He went to the Wall because someone important tried to take sexual advantage of him and he objected. He's just as dead as Ygritte, and there's no chance of him ever feeling redemptive love. Or any love at all, any more.

I'm glad Sam was with him. :(
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Speaking of Martin killing off characters... :D

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Passdagas the Brown

But he doesn't kill the red-shirts. He kills Captain f'ing Kirk! And in the first season of the Original Series!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Anthy, you are certainly welcome to your opinion! I only disagree because, well, on this point (and this point only) I disagree. Normally I might as well put ditto marks after all your posts. :love:

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Good comparison, PDG! :)
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Wampus: :love:

It's just that by disagreeing with you, it looks like I am agreeing with the statement that "the arrow of well-deserved justice trumps the hope of redemptive love."

Which maybe I am. Which maybe disappoints that romantic part of me.

Many of these characters (jeez, all? I'll have to think about that) are killers. If Ygritte deserved that arrow, then (all?!) of them do. I know that to single her out as a murder incapable of redemption seems unfair, to a ludicrous degree.

I just don't feel like her chance at redemptive love should be given more of a romantic "soft focus" lens than say... the man she murdered as he was walking with his son, while discussing potatoes for dinner. Or that old man who did nothing more vile than raise horses for the "wrong" side. Or... you know, Pip.

I think I'm still trying to work out why her death felt different to me.
:help:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I see Ygritte as someone who is a killer but not cruel, someone who fights for her people but not for personal power. In Westeros, that's about as close to honorable and moral as any character is likely to get.

They're all killers and/or manipulators. The good ones do it for better reasons, and without gratuitous cruelty. By this measure, moral characters include Ned Stark and Brienne of Tarth, both of whom killed when they saw it as right. Joffrey Baratheon and Ramsey Snow need not apply.