Ombra mai fu

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Ombra mai fu

Post by Crucifer »

I thought I'd share this, as it's interesting.

On Friday night, I was involved in a concert, and the counter tenor sang a piece from Handels Xerxes, called Ombra mai fu.
It is the one of most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard.
The melody was used in Pride and Prejudice on TV, as Slumber Dear Maid.

It's about a tree, and a man's love for it and how he hopes that it will never be struck by lightning.

Composers are a bit weird. Really.

Anyone else got something like this? (I have another, but I will save it for another time.)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

That aria is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. The first time I heard it, I was moved to tears.

Yeah, it's about loving a tree... :D

Lovely piece, though!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Handel wrote a whole lotta music. You have plenty of enjoyment to come. Check out Andreas Scholl the German counter tenor who sings Handel's music wonderfully.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Brahms Akademic FeschtischOverturschen. (Forgive the mad germanistic spelling)

He was given an hornerary docterate from some degree, and sent them back a postcard, basically saying
"Ta, see you at the ceremony.
Brahms."

So they sent him a letter aasking to write a piece, which he did.

On the appointed day, all the profs, etc. came in, and Brahms struck up the orchestra. The opening was suitably sombre and solemn, but soon the students started smirking as the orchestra played a song that is sung in student initiations whoch involves chasing foxes in the snow while naked. The farce continued, the profs getting more and more annoyed, and the piece finished with... Gaudeamus Igator, the most famousest German drinking song of all time! All the students roared it out, and Brahms got thunderous applause.

The profs were none too happy.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I was introduced to this aria in a voice class back in 1980 or '81. It's not terribly difficult to sing, which is why it is a standard for beginners. I have a performance of countertenor David Danielson CD that is fantastic. I also have a Pavarotti performance on cassette tape. (Pavarotti? :shock: )

Simple or not, it is a beautiful piece, but then Handel has been one of very favorite composers since 1976. I used to listen to his sonatas for flute every day, and there was a time that I was really hooked on Messiah. My freshman band played his Royal Fireworks Music. :)