Classic Movies I Should Watch with My Girls

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Classic Movies I Should Watch with My Girls

Post by Lalaith »

cross-posted on b77:

I'm taking recommendations. :) I have that Netflix Queue waiting for me to fill it all back up again, and when I get there I forget every movie I ever said I wanted to watch. :suspicious:

So what are your favorite classic movies that are rated G or PG? (PG-13 *might* be okay, depending on why it earned that rating.)

I just thought of one! Bringing Up Baby! <runs off>

Okay, what else?

TV shows would be okay, too, but I guess I'm thinking more of classic movies. We watched It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World a few weeks ago and got a kick out of it.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Clockwork Orange!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:suspicious:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Off the top of my head (so they reflect what I remember fondly from my childhood)...

To Kill a Mockingbird

The old Moby Dick with Gregory Peck, screenplay by Ray Bradbury (Ok, so perhaps it's not exactly a girl movie, but I remember loving it for the language and look of it)

Little Women

Them! (if I survived being traumatized by giant ants, they can too)

Old Yeller (although my big strong boy refuses to watch it because it makes him cry)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Star Wars + sequels

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn!)

The Princess Bride

E.T.

Pirates of the Caribbean

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Babe

Mary Poppins

Black Stallion

Holes

The Incredibles
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thank you! :) These are great suggestions! (Some we've seen already but many we have not.) I'm adding them to my queue.

Except for Old Yeller. We read that, and the girls have never forgiven me for it. :rofl:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The Red Pony, at least in part because of the Aaron Copeland score.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Couple of additions:

Watership Down, really interesting British alternative to Disney Movies.

All Indiana Jones (including Young Indiana Jones Chronicles which are feature length)

The Carry On movies (Smutty, but harmless and only if they get it... I know I laughed myself silly at them as a kid cause they work at so many levels)

James Bond Movies

St Trinian's (The old ones, not the recent version)

The Great Escape

Escape to Victory
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Some real classics:

Gone with the wind

The old King Kong

Casablanca

And one French movie: The chorists, I'd highly recomman for different cultural knowledge.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Off the top of my head (and the family DVD shelf):
  • Horatio Hornblower (the one with Gregory Peck; the recent British ones with Ioan Gryffud are very good, but the violence may be too graphic)
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
    If I Had a Million
    It's a Gift
    Pride of the Yankees :bawling:
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (old version)
    Forbidden Planet (rather scary)
    Little Women (I like the Winona Ryder version)
    Rudy
    The Scarlet Pimpernel (Anthony Andrews/Jane Seymour—made for TV but a gorgeous romantic swashbuckler)
    The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers (Michael York)
    The Pirates of Penzance (the movie with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline, not the filmed stage play with the same cast; movie DVD just came out)
    Singin' in the Rain (we fast-forward through the long Broadway Melody dream sequence)
Also, the New York Times "100 Recommended Children's Movies" has some great suggestions, although some of them are PG-13 or scary or have language issues; but it's worth a look:

http://www.filmsite.org/100kidsfilms.html
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Primula Baggins wrote: The Pirates of Penzance (the movie with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline, not the filmed stage play with the same cast; movie DVD just came out)
Hah, I'm playing the Pirate King in 4 weeks time and studying Kevin Kline (among others) for inspiration!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Disney's Robin Hood (the one with the foxes)
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote: The Pirates of Penzance (the movie with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline, not the filmed stage play with the same cast; movie DVD just came out)
Hah, I'm playing the Pirate King in 4 weeks time and studying Kevin Kline (among others) for inspiration!
Cool. I was wondering if you had any juicy new roles coming up. Sounds like fun (though it will be hard to top Tevye).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So cool, Alatar! And you can't go wrong picking up inspiration from Kline's performance. We had an old, old VHS recording we made from broadcast TV in the early 1980s, and my kids watched it to rags, starting at a really young age. Years ago I put a tag on Amazon to notify me when it came out on DVD, and finally it did!

I know many G&S purists have problems with the movie version, but it made Gilbert and Sullivan fans out of our entire family, so it can't be all bad.

Of course, we're geeks. All but my daughter, who is still in the closet.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

"Sounder" for sure. Seriously.

Some version of some Dicken's classic and some version of some Twain classic.
There are lots of them on Netflix.

1984/A Brave New World.

The Grapes of Wrath.

The Bridge on the River Kwai.

The Holy Grail.

North By Northwest.

A League of Their Own.

That Thing You Do.

Appollo 13.

The Right Stuff.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I almost listed some of those. There are some definite PG-13ish ones there, though.

Oh. The African Queen.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I stand by all of them. Yeah maybe there are a few that border on the edge, but they either redeem themselves or just barely flirt with age inappropriateness. In context they are all worth seeing imo.

Worse comes to worse, Lali can view them beforehand.

But Sounder is beyond reproach and is definitely age appropriate. Maybe a bit boring to some but, definitely I still remember it after all these years. I saw it when it was first released in the theater, and I can't think of a more deserving Oscar nominee than Cicely Tyson. If nothing else you get to hear Taj Mahal's music.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Sigh. I fell madly in love with Kevin Kline after seeing him in Pirates of Penzance.

Which reminds me of another favorite that he starred in: Dave

An oldie but goodie that still makes me laugh: The Fortune Cookie, with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh dear. I had Sounder and Old Yeller confused. I read Sounder to the girls, and we were all ready to slit our wrists by the end. They still look at me reproachfully when the subject is brought up. In fact, they often bring the book up in order to reproach me for being a terrible mother.

:D

Soooo we won't be watching that movie. But, in that vein, I doubt we'll watch Old Yeller either. We're just not into sad movies where animals die.

Other than that, there are some terrific suggestions here. I'm going to compile them into a list and go from there.

(Nin, my older daughter would probably love the French movie. She is studying French and is currently in love with anything French.)

(I should also add that we read Sounder right after reading a very graphic book about missionaries in Papua New Guinea. It included cannibalism and extremely disturbing depictions of post-death rituals. I edited it on the fly as much as I could but still ended up reading quite a bit of it to them. They were afraid of what book I'd pick next after those two! :rofl: )

We're currently reading Little Women, and I'm saving the movie as a treat for afterwards. Katie has seen it before but doesn't remember it very well. Sarah doesn't remember seeing it at all, so that will be fun for them to watch. (I have the Winona Ryder version.)

Anyway, I'm excited to start having some good movies to watch with them. Like I said, we've seen many of the newer movies that were suggested, but I've not seen many of the older ones (pre-1970s).
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Let's see. Another trip down memory lane...

Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, but not as ...um... nightmare-inducing as, say, Psycho)

Night of the Hunter (possibly too scary but incredibly well-done ... Robert Mitchum is a psychopathic preacher who is hunting his two step-children to get their late father's hidden fortune)

The King and I

Ben Hur

West Side Story

The Miracle Worker

Cat Ballou

Born Free

The Producers (the old one, with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel)

Airplane!

The Gods Must Be Crazy

The Sting

A Night at the Opera (Marx Brothers)

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oooh! Not sure how well they would hold up now but I remember being absolutely fascinated by "She" and "1,000,000 Years BC" back when I was a kid.