The King's Speech

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

The King's Speech

Post by vison »

The King's Speech. WHAT a great movie. :)
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Want want want to see it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

There's talk of it being an Oscar frontrunner which was the first I'd heard of it.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

So much of this movie was perfect. Colin Firth doesn't much resemble George VI physically, but that didn't matter. Helena Bonham-Carter was wonderful as the Duchess of York (Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother as she later became). The costumes and sets were magnificent.

One little thing I liked. The actress playing Wallis Simpson was very attractive and lively and for a few seconds one could imagine what that fool Edward VIII saw in her. Edward and Mrs. Simpson were peripheral to the story, more or less only brought into it to explain why the Duke of York became George VI, but the little time that actress was on view, she drew the eye.

I didn't like the old King fussing over his son's affair with a married woman or women, though. Jeez. Royal princes were TOLD to have affairs with married women, not single women, and several times in history got their mistresses married off for safety's sake. However, I digress.

Claire Bloom did a good Queen Mary. You know, I remember Queen Mary. She lived for a very long time and was always in pictures with the royal family, even when she must have been a thousand years old. Princess Mary of Teck.

When all the kerfuffle about Princess Diana was going on, everyone was so shocked about adultery and affairs and heartbreak, etc., but the truth is, this Windsor family is about as dysfunctional as they come, and always was.
Dig deeper.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

It's brilliant.

It commits a couple of sins typical of historical dramas. For example, putting exposition into the dialogue so that characters end up saying things that must have been bleeding obvious at the time to each other. And I detected a slight modernisation and need to make characters conflicted and everything.

But it's worth seeing for the acting, which is superb. It's a tour de force of the best of British theatre and film. I'm not sure whether it's the Shakesperean theatre tradition, but Britain simply has an awful lot of good actors. And while it's not exactly a ground-breaking story, it plays the formula to perfection. The script is very entertaining.

Speaking of acting, Jennifer Ehle makes one of her rare appearences outside the theatre. I've only ever seen her in two miniseries (Pride and Prejudice and Wilde, and I've never seen her before on the big screen. It's a shame that we don't see her more often, because she is brilliant in every role. Although I expect filmgoers conditioned to expect Elizabeth Bennet are going to find her Australian accent disconcerting :D.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

vison wrote:Royal princes were TOLD to have affairs with married women, not single women, and several times in history got their mistresses married off for safety's sake.
Just out of curiousity, why?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

River wrote:
vison wrote:Royal princes were TOLD to have affairs with married women, not single women, and several times in history got their mistresses married off for safety's sake.
Just out of curiousity, why?
Single women could expect/hope/wish/scheme that the prince might be drawn into matrimony. And could, even worse, have a child. A married woman's child was the child of her husband, for form's sake.

A prince did not go out and fall in love and get married. I guess Prince William did, but certainly Prince Charles did not. He had numerous women in his life but those with whom he had a sexual relationship were all married - both before and after his marriage to Diana Spencer. As far as anyone knows, at any rate. He dated lots of girls, of course, but I can't think of a single unmarried one who has claimed that they had sex - royal mistresses are generally discreet anyway.

That's why I was irritated by the way George V talked about his son's married women - he was famously straitlaced, of course, but he wouldn't likely have been that upset about his son's affairs with married women. If the soon-to-be Edward VIII (David, to his family) had unmarried girlfriends, it would have been much, much worse.
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Got it.

I am wondering if Prince William being allowed to marry for love isn't a sign that the Windsors haven't finally gotten a clue based on the outcomes of previous marriages. Or it might also be a sign that alliances and treaties are no longer sealed with a wedding.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think it helps that he isn't the direct heir to the throne, as Charles was.

It probably also helps that he chose someone who seems entirely suitable, even if she hasn't got a pedigree.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I think it also helps that who he marries does not effect their, you know, empire.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Times change, and we change with the times.

George VI, as Duke of York, did go out and marry for love. Again, though, his partner was perfectly suitable, and he wasn't in direct line to the throne. Still, it was widely heralded at the time as a very modern thing, and the Royal Family was praised for it. And had Prince David (the future Edward VIII) found someone suitable (ie. British, genteel and unmarried) then I doubt that anyone would have objected to him marrying her.

The other issue with Edward was that, while youthful indiscretions were tolerated, he was over 40 when he became King. It was expected that he would be old enough to know better.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

George VI did marry for love, but she was, in fact, chosen for him by his mother as one of a very narrowly drawn list. The Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon came from a family actually quite a lot posher than the royal family - as far as some people were concerned, anyway. Including my grandmother, whose family were connected in some vague way to the Bowes-Lyon family. As servants, needless to say. Very menial servants, as far as I know, on one of the Scottish properties.

As for the man who later became Duke of Windsor, he could/should have been married long since to a "suitable" young woman and could have had as many affairs with married women as he felt like having. The problem with him was, as many, many, many rumours tell, that he was not quite, um, very manly in some ways. Physical ways as well as emotional ways. He was handed off to Wallis Simpson by his erstwhile mistress Lady Furness, who was ailing or who had to leave the country for awhile or some such reason and offered him Mrs. Simpson as consolation. There is some connection here to the Vanderbilts, as I recall. Thelma, Lady Furness, was the twin sister of Gloria Vanderbilt's mother? Is that it? Yes, that's it. Her twin sister was Gloria, and Gloria's daughter is the designer Gloria Vanderbilt who is also Anderson Cooper's ma. Small world, eh? I remember now, too, that Lady Furness left England to go to America to support her sister Gloria in the custody battle over "Little Gloria", which was a riveting tale, I can tell you.

Edward VIII was a fool, plain and simple. I believe he was far, far from the brightest bulb in the chandelier and since he had such a very peculiar upbringing, it is no wonder he turned out to be such a ninny.

Looking at pictures of him and the duchess, seen drinking cocktails in some wretched high-society party, makes me inexpressibly sad and angry at the same time. A more wasted, useless life cannot be imagined.

It is commonly asserted that Mrs. Simpson had no intention of actually marrying him. SHE was no fool. She understood perfectly well what the consequences of her marriage were going to be, she knew she would never been queen, or even accepted as a morganatic spouse. She married him because he insisted they had to be married and I guess she couldn't face the prospect of being even more loathed - for nearly destroying the monarchy and then leaving the poor wretch after all.

What a terrible life they had. And at what cost. In the end, of course, it was better for the world as it was.
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Primula Baggins wrote:I think it helps that he isn't the direct heir to the throne, as Charles was.

It probably also helps that he chose someone who seems entirely suitable, even if she hasn't got a pedigree.
Yes, her suitability was all over the news. In fact, I read one editorial suggesting that she was perhaps more suitable than a woman of the aristocracy because, according to the editorialist, the aristocratic women were all spoiled brats.

All of that aside, seeing as William will be Crown Prince when his father ascends or dies, it seems like marrying the "right" woman would be at least as important for him as it was for his father.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

William and Kate have little chance of happiness, IMHO, simply because of the insanity surrounding them and all they do. Half of all marriages end in divorce - theirs might be in the good 50%, I guess. For their sakes, I hope so.

It all depends on what Kate wants to do. Diana would still likely be alive and married to Prince Charles had she done what most of her predecessors did and accepted his philandering and kept on doing her own. Once the Heir and a Spare were safely born, of course.

Had she not died in that stupid accident, she would have wound up having exactly the same life that the Duchess of Windsor did, only more scandalous, and embarassing her children. She was lovely to look at but that's not enough in this world, is it?
Dig deeper.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

I was volunteering for the Toronto International Film Festival when it came out. (I do every year, it's worth every plane ticket and vacation time!!!) I was handing out ballots for the People's Choice Award at TIFF (rate the movie and win a Cadillac :) ) to the patrons (moviegoers) and they kept telling me it was the best and it will win. Well, it did!!! I'm glad I've seen it. :)

I was lucky enough to volunteer in the "green room" this time, opening the door for the stars so I saw Colin Firth. :) Well, it's difficult to get that position since you have to be in the "inner" circle of the venue. Fortunately for me, they needed another person. Most of the time I do crowd control when the stars arrive or leave. I finally saw Liv Tyler in the flesh I opened the door for her. She smiled at me!!! :love: :P The Tolkien geek squad/fans were there but unfortunately I couldn't help them since Liv didn't stop for pics and autographs too bad!!! They had everything posters, t-shirts, books, wow!!! I should have asked if anybody posts here. :)

I apologize Vision for venturing off topic but I got carried away. :oops:
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I went to this movie a few days ago with family members ranging in age from 13 to 88, and we all enjoyed it very much!
:)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Saw it! Loved it! Beautifully done and very, very charming. :)
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

We were going to see it this weekend. But Saturday was one thing after another and today we got hit with a snowstorm and S's partner had a work bomb dropped on him by one of their clients and decided to share the fall-out with S. :x Maybe this week, or, more likely, next weekend.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I may sneak out to see a matinee next week (not this week). Mr. Prim is less interested than I am, and we see so few movies that I'd rather pick something he's also genuinely excited about seeing.

But I want to see this before the Oscars.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I wasn't very interested in it and mainly went to see it cuz of a friend wanted to go. Very glad I did. I really think it's a movie that can appeal to just about anyone.
-The Decemberists