All the mornings of the World

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

All the mornings of the World

Post by Nin »

The director of this wonderful French movie has recently died, so we watched it again yesterday evening many years after I saw it in a cinema.

I don't know if any of you knows this magnificent movie.

It is a story about 17th century composer Marin Marais, how he learned to play luth (viole in French) with his master, the story of this master, am an who devoted his life to music. It is also a story of great loves, returned and unreturned and the tragic of this love. I have hardly ever seen any movie where music and images are related in such admirable manner, where music touches you that much and where a complicated and yet simple story is told with such easy and heavy words.

Marin Marais is played by Bot hof the Depardieus, son Guillaume as a young man, father Gérard as an adult and old man. Guillaume Dépardieu has died since, but this role was his masterpiece.

A calm and beautful movie, with wonderful costums and instruments, bringing acces to a music which is little known and so touching. I don't know if it is easily avalaible in the US or UK ,but if ever you have the occasion to watch it, I recommend it with all my heart.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Alain Corneau's film actually was released in the U.S. under its French title, Tous les matins du monde (but changed for video release to the English title you cite), and I caught it twice in the theater early in 1993, once for a music appreciation class and a few weeks later with a friend who wanted to see it. I own the soundtrack of baroque music performed by Jordi Savall (Marais's instrument is normally called the bass viol or viola de gamba in English, but my favorite musical piece in the film is actually the orchestral "Marche pour la cérémonie des Turcs" by Jean-Baptiste Lully) but not the video. Rather than the latter, I'd take a coffee-table book showing the absolutely gorgeous cinematography, settings, and costumes--but for me, the story was obscure and dull.

In my opinion, a far superior early 1990s French film about music would be Un Coeur en hiver ("A Heart in Winter"), directed by Claude Sautet and starring Daniel Auteuil and Emmanuelle Béart.