Best single scene in film

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Túrin Turambar

Best single scene in film

Post by Túrin Turambar »

For a long time my favourite single film scene was the dueling songs from Casablanca. Recently, though, I re-watched Kenneth Branagh’s Henry V (in itself a very fine film) and I was struck by the power of the aftermath of the Battle of Agincourt. I know we had a thread a while back on the best battle scenes in film, and Branagh’s Agincourt was nominated. And while I think the battle itself is very well done, the St. Crispin’s day speech beforehand and the singing of Non Nobis Domine afterwards really makes it. I also love the way that this particular scene goes as one shot – the camera never cuts away.

Non Nobis Domine

Your nominations?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Great thread, Lord_M! And I concur about the Casablanca scene, although I think the airfield scene is both brilliant and completely iconic. And the Henry V scene—although anything written by Shakespeare has an unfair advantage.

I know I'm going to think beyond this, but in the context of this board I need to start with the post–Ring into the Fire scene between Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom, when they're both sure they're about to die. And then the Eagles come. . . . :bawling:

Okay, this is chick-flicky, but I love love love the scene in The American President when the President calls Annette Bening to ask her to be his date at a state dinner, and she thinks it's some friend of hers pulling her leg. Then she realizes it really is the President and she (I love this) stands up in her pajamas . . . because it's the President. :love:

I wouldn't argue for that as the best single scene in film. I just like it.

I will come back when I can make a serious nomination.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In a similar vein, I'm putting forward the beach scene from Atonement. For sheer complexity of cinematography and co-ordination it's mind blowing. The single shot starts about 40 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJJfOp8_Go

However, for the most moving shot, or most stirring, I'll have to have a think.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

HAL's death scene in 2001.

Blows my mind every time.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I tend to prefer party scenes to anything dramatic or moving. So, some of my favorites include:

The Podlings from The Dark Crystal. I think mostly because it was one of the few movies I saw as a child that used language to show culture clash. Or maybe that's my post-Tolkien perspective ;).

Irish party in third class from Titanic. Yeah, yeah, it's cliched class differences, but it's fun music and certainly the best part of the movie.

The silly song from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. One of my little brothers got the video for Christmas one year, and my dad and my uncle rewound this scene and watched it like 15 times in a row. They loved it! And I have to agree it's fun. I particularly like Grumpy's organ. Though watching it now, I see they have Dopey in 2 places at once towards the end there. Ah well..

I won't argue that any of these are the best scene ever filmed, but they are...well, fun to watch! Basically, I think that all movies should have a great party scene at some point in them. (So, Fellowship certainly worked on that point for me ;)).

Other scenes stick in my mind for their creepiness or other such factors. I'm not sure I'd call them 'best' but they are also memorable.

The courtroom scene in Boondock Saints. Yes, the whole premise of the movie is all sorts of screwed up, but that scene just brings it all together. Overthrowing a court of law with force, acting as some sort of Batmen-like avengers, and mixing prayers with guns is just very, very disturbing. I guess because they are unabashedly portrayed as good guys, and I like their accents, just not what they're saying.

All three Hannibal Lecter movies (you'll notice I'm leaving out Manhunter and Hannibal Rising ;)) have a bunch of disturbing scenes that sear themselves in the mind, many of which can be found in this montage I think he does ruthless coldblooded killer very, very well. Again, it's not just the violence that's disturbing, it's the complete detachment and indifference towards the victim, so that he can be chatting amicably while doing it. But Anthony Hopkins as Lecter is just intriguing no matter what he does. Monologue
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

So many great scenes...and many are in otherwise so-so movies. Yet there are also great movies where I can't think of a standout scene--their greatness lies in the whole more than the parts.

Ones that spring to mind right away (not necessarily in so-so movies!):

--the last scene of The Graduate, where Mike Nichols let the camera keep running, and running, and running, to deadly effect.

--the scene in Bridge on the River Kwai where Alec Guinness realizes what he's done. Suddenly his character (and the audience) has to confront the fact that every "good" thing he did and suffered for through the film was for a bad cause.

--for something completely different: the scene in Ghostbusters where you first see the Stay-puft Marshmallow man. The first time you see the movie, at that moment, the comic and action/horror elements are perfectly balanced, and you're laughing through the anxiety. Not sure anyone else has ever done that so well.

--the emergence of the Alien in Alien. Best scene for getting a date to jump into your lap ever. :D

--special mention for best use of split screen in a non-action flick: 500 Days of Summer, the "what he imagines will happen" vs. "what actually happens" sequence.

The Nóm Nobis from Henry V is memorable to me precisely because it's the only scene in the movie where no one speaks. It's something that's between the lines in Shakespeare, so his words aren't carrying it, as they do in the St. Crispin's day speech scene. That was a gutsy move by Branagh and his cinematographer and it proved golden.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

My favorite moments in film

Jimmy Stewart as Jefferson Smith in MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON delivering his final speech to a full Senate just before he collapses.

The testimony of Tom Robinson in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD in which Brock Peters is asked by Gregory Peck if he raped Mayella Ewell and he musters all the sincerity and honesty in the universe when he says "I did not sir."

Robert DeNiro in THE DEERHUNTER explaining that "this is this - this is not something else - this is this" to one of his hunting buddies who is fond of mixing one thing up with another in an attempt to make a point.

The first time we actually see Boo Radley played by Robert Duvall coming from behind the door in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

The arrival of Omar Sharif in LAWRENCE OF ARABIA as a tiny speck on the desert landscape.

and the best of all time.....

Charlie Chaplin is recognized by a former blind woman that he helped to get her sight back in CITY LIGHTS. Nothing beats that for me.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Midnight Cowboy, full of so many!: Jon Voigt sitting on the bus holding Dustin Hoffman's body as the bus heads south to Florida.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Alatar wrote:In a similar vein, I'm putting forward the beach scene from Atonement. For sheer complexity of cinematography and co-ordination it's mind blowing. The single shot starts about 40 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJJfOp8_Go
Good choice. It really does put the scale of the army in focus. I wonder if the director of Atonement was influenced by the scene in Henry V?
yovargas wrote:HAL's death scene in 2001.

Blows my mind every time.
linky

Another good choice. Whoever voiced HAL did an excellent job. I also like Kubrick’s use of odd camera angles to give the impression of being confined in a weightless spaceship.
Axordil wrote: The Nóm Nobis from Henry V is memorable to me precisely because it's the only scene in the movie where no one speaks. It's something that's between the lines in Shakespeare, so his words aren't carrying it, as they do in the St. Crispin's day speech scene. That was a gutsy move by Branagh and his cinematographer and it proved golden.
Indeed Shakespeare has Henry direct the troops to sing non nobis but leaves it at that. Branagh actually shows it.

It was a brave film all around. Branagh doesn't try to modernise the setting, or the characters, or the script. You get the original story in the original words. And it works far better than it could if done any other way. It's one of the best examples of an adaptation IMHO.
sauronsfinger wrote: The testimony of Tom Robinson in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD in which Brock Peters is asked by Gregory Peck if he raped Mayella Ewell and he musters all the sincerity and honesty in the universe when he says "I did not sir."
Indeed, the entire courtroom sequence in TKAMB is great. It made me really feel Robinson’s helplessness.

Atticus Finch’s famous speech
sauronsfinger wrote: The arrival of Omar Sharif in LAWRENCE OF ARABIA as a tiny speck on the desert landscape.
Yes. I also really like the Battle of Aquaba.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I immediately thought of Frodo being carried by the eagle.
Or Gandalf and Éomer riding to the rescue in Helms Deep at dawn.

And since I just saw "Casablanca" in a theater, both scenes previously mentioned from that.

Here's another, from a movie none of you have seen: "Images," an early Robert Altman film. The protagonist is a writer who is losing her mind and hallucinating. At one point she stops her car on a high hill and looks down at the cottage she is driving to. Looking down, she sees herself drive up to the house and get out, which is spooky enough. But then the point of view shifts to her entering the house -- and it is completely discombobulating to the viewer. How did she get there? Or did she even get there? It's the sort of filmmaking that puts you inside a disturbed mind and helps you to see how very confusing it is when you don't know what is real.

I saw that scene for the first time more than 30 years ago, and just thinking of it still gives me the shivers.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Lots of great stuff here. :)

Thinking back to when I saw 2001 in the theater as a young'un...the killings of the astronauts in their hibernation chambers and the murder of the astronaut outside the ship were both quite upsetting, but disconnecting HAL was something more. It was at once the payoff for the "villain" and a moment of pathos (it's not like HAL can escape) and a visually arresting scene (all those red lights in neat columns and rows). And "Daisy." I remember that first viewing to this day, more than 40 years on.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I watched LM's link to it and even disconnected from the movie, that scene's effect on me is like nothing else. :bow:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

There is the most gut-wrenching moment in WEST SIDE STORY after Tony has been shot, and dies in Maria's arm. Members of the two gangs arrive on the scene. They start to move towards Tony's body, and Maria screams at them "Don't you touch him!" and crouches over his body in an attempt to keep them away. It tears me up every time..
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In the vein of really great scenes in otherwise just good movies, I have to nominate Edward Scissorhands. While the movie has its weaknesses, there are a couple of scenes of pure magic:

The Ice Dance

Hold Me. I can't.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I guess one should throw the bike jump from GREAT ESCAPE in there as one of the most memorable scenes...the jump was executed in ine one take by McQueen's stunt double, and the scene made McQueen. In Britain, mods and rockers went to see the film over and over again for the jump; they stood up and cheered every time!

But returning to death scenes again, the "tears in the Rain" scene at the end of BLADE RUNNER is just phenomenal in terms of pathos...one of the most memorable, touching, poignant, scenes ever.

Originally Hauer's speech was much longer but the actor persuaded Scott to cut the dialogue saving the audience another protracted death scene. "His batteries are going. He has no time to say good-bye, except maybe to briefly talk about things he'd seen. 'Life is short' - boom!" With Scott's permission he cut out the beginning and improvised the last lines. The line "like tears in rain" was never scripted. Rutger Hauer just said that while filming, and it has become one of the most famous scenes in movie history...

Tears in the rain
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The bike jump scene, wow, I remember that! My husband and I saw that movie when it first came out.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Blade Runner. I love that movie.

Another fave of mine: Scrooge waking up on Christmas morning and realizing he's still got time. A great scene from the greatest movie ever made. :D
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Sophies Choice... the choice scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQjsbn4KCM
Out of Africa...the burial scene
Bridges of Madison County... the rain scene

Shindler's List...the end scene at his grave.

Saving Private Ryan....Am I a good man scene

RoTK - Frodo writing in the book scene

The scene in Casablanca is a favorite of mine too.

The Kate's speech scene in A Lion in Winter.

Come What May and Satine's Death in Moulin Rouge

This all said Sophie's Choice scene is the one that tears me up the most. It's either one or both, who could make that choice and not be riddled with guilt forever.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári mentions WEST SIDE STORY and the climatic death scene - I love that scene. I also love the Officer Krupke scene for all the opposite reasons.

The mention by Padme of the PRIVATE RYAN "am I a good man" scene reminds me of the excellent film ELEPHANT MAN where Anthony Hopkins is haunted by the same question and his asking of it to his wife is one of the most moving moments in a film filled with poignant moments.

The rain scene in BRIDGES is one of the best that Clint Eastwood ever directed. It is amazing for how much he reveals of himself to us.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I think one of the saddest scenes ever is the death of Artex in The Neverending Story. It won't get best scene ever, because it contains the line 'Fight against the sadness, Artex!' which is difficult to take out of context. But his horse dies, and he can't even be sad about it, because if he is, he'll die too (being written by a German, the Swamps of Sadness are rather existential....) I find that entirely unfair.

But as far as sheer memorable scenes go, it would be hard to beat the duel on the Cliffs of Insanity between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black. It's iconic, it's quotable, it's quite funny....like most of The Princess Bride.

The Sophie's Choice scene is of course horrible. :help:
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Well I have given this some more thought. Not really tear jerkers but ones I would say are iconic

Gone with the Wind - Frankly my dear I don't give a damn
The Empire Strikes Back - Luke I am your father
Ben Hur - Chariots
Spartacus - I am Spartacus

And now back to movies that make me cry

Ghost - The ending scenes
Dr. Zhivago 1965 - when Lara leaves
Dr. Zhivago 2002 Kiera Knightly version - the end scene when she tells her son to race, :bawl:
The Abyss - When Lindsey dies
An Affair to Remember - The couch scene
The Best Year of Our Lives - Wilma's love for Homer
The Color Purple - when the sisters are reunited
Finding Neverland - bench scene
Forrest Gump - Jenny's death
Last of the Mohicans - Son's death
Paths of Glory - girl singing
Steel Magnolias - The death and funeral
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.