Conan O'Brien Tonight Show

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
halplm
hooked

Conan O'Brien Tonight Show

Post by halplm »

In summary, Jay Leno is moving back to the 11:30 timeslot, because he has completely failed in his primetime slot.

Conan was under contract to start in the Tonight Show slot when he did, which was I believe June of last year. He stayed on the Late show, where he did extremely well, with better offers for a chance at the Tonight Show. Now, the network is backing out, and saying they're going to give Leno the timeslot again, and basically destroy the Tonight Show as an entity.

The late night talk show competition has always been a fascination of mine, and I find the current situation extremely interesting.

Also, I think Conan is WAY funnier than Leno, so I think this is a stupid move by the network, but then again, I rarely watch, so I'm not the target audience :).
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

It's a fiasco: I apportion the blame about 95% the idiots who currently run NBC, and 4.5% Leno for welching on his promise to retire this year. Give Conan 0.5% for not adjusting his show to a new audience.

I think Conan's a riot; but frankly his schtick is 12:30 humor, not 11:30 humor. And I don't think either Jay or Conan is as good an interviewer as Craig Ferguson.

The bitter, unfunny Letterman, the moronic Daley and the hopeless Fallon aren't even in the running, for my money.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

What NBC has done to Connan, (no matter who one thinks is funny) is despicable. He moved his family from New York to LA for the job. What the heck was the point? I don't knoe why freaking Leno didn't retire when he said he would. None of this would have happened if it wasn't for that.

I don't have a TV so I haven't seen Connan since he moved to the earlier time. I always found Leno a bit bland (but I liked the dancing Itos), and some of the rest I don't really know of (I like Furguson though, much better then Craig Kilborn ever was.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hey! I posted here a day or two ago (I thought!), but now I don't see it. :scratch: Weird!

Anyway, I said something about being really annoyed with this (which I know isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of life but, fwiw, I'm irritated). I really like Conan. I like Jay, too, and I would watch his show at 10pm whenever it worked out to do so.

I think Conan has gotten the shaft, royally, and I feel badly for him. I'm not sure if I'll watch Jay at 11:30 now. Just because I'm irked.

And I adore Craig Ferguson! If I'm up that late, I watch him. I don't think his skits are as funny as Conan's (or even Jay's), but I think his monologue is hilarious.

You know, solictr, I think I disagree with you about Conan's material not suiting his audience. People my age should be his target audience, and we are used to this kind of humor. I mean, aren't we the target audience? Or is it still geared to older people? (I'm 38.)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Well I have heard that Conan is out, he is leaving the tonight show, since they decided to move it to 12. (The tommorrow show!!). But it's unconfirmed right now. (My sis told me). If it's true, I don't think I will watch a late show on NBC again. (Although I don't watch NBC anymore since they got rid of Medium.)
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, I watched Conan's last show, and it was very good. A genuine class act, and it only shows how phenomenally stupid NBC is. I look forward to his future work, and I can honestly say I don't ever expect to watch the tonight show again.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

halplm wrote: it only shows how phenomenally stupid NBC is.
No surprise. They tried to cancel the original Star Trek after only two seasons, renewed after pressure from a massive letter-writing campaign, only to move it from prime time to the 10:00pm "Friday night death slot" which finished it off.

They never learn. Morons.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The last truly great late night TV show host was Steve Allen. It has all been down hill since he departed that arena.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

*is gobsmacked at the attention these things get*

*has never watched any of them and probably never will*
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

vison wrote:*is gobsmacked at the attention these things get*

*has never watched any of them and probably never will*
Me neither. OK, I've watched Letterman a few times, but if I'm going to be stuck by a screen late at night, I am gonna be typing, with, preferably, a European on the other side of the chat.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hey, these guys are the main source of my info on politics and current events. :D

I watched it last night, as I've done from the beginning. I'm not a religious viewer, but most nights I'm watching. Conan was very classy in how he handled this, and I've always liked him. NBC is a bunch of morons, and, like hal, I don't expect to watch Leno anymore. (I watched him when he hosted the Tonight Show originally, and I've watched many of his shows at 10pm. Sort of halfway, though, because I'm always online at the same time, too.) Anyway, despite the fact that I like Leno, I won't watch the Tonight Show now. I don't like Letterman, so I guess I'll watch nothing or watch reruns of the King of Queens or something. :roll:
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm not crazy about Leno, but I like him a lot better than Conan. I've just never cared for Conan's sense of humor.

It should be remembered that Conan struck the first blow in this fight. Several years ago he threatened to leave NBC and was only persuaded to stay by being promised the Tonight Show in 2009. Leno had never indicated he wanted to retire then, and once 2009 rolled around, NBC didn't want to let go of him either because of his ratings. Thus the unfortunate experiment.

Leno gracefully switched times to accommodate Conan. When the experiment didn't work out, it only made sense to move Leno back to his old time. Frankly, I think Conan should have shown the same grace when asked to move a half hour later.

Just my (minority) opinion.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

solicitr wrote:Conan's classy farewell monologue:

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/conan-fi ... ogue-.html
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :love: :love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists