A Princess of Mars

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think that's supposed to be cloth, not armor, hanging from her hips (except in front).

As for the bra, keep in mind the gravity on Barsoom is only one-third what it is here. Maybe that would make it OK.

Still silly, though.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Elentári wrote:Well marketing is ahead of the game...there are action figures already available... ;)

http://www.thetoyfederation.com/product ... t=0&page=1
Hmph.

Not quite how she was portrayed in the books. Oh, well. The way she was portrayed in the books wasn't very practical either! :D
Dig deeper.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:As for the bra, keep in mind the gravity on Barsoom is only one-third what it is here. Maybe that would make it OK.
:rofl:

That is SO Prim.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Gravity or the lack of it was very much on my mind when I wrote the third book in my series, so. :D (I did note in one scene that 8% gravity is convenient for sex. Oop, did I say that? But I never got to use my ideas about how to make it work in zero gee so you just don't end up spinning helplessly. . . . Maybe another time.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

But I never got to use my ideas about how to make it work in zero gee so you just don't end up spinning helplessly
Tethers. Bungees. Barsoomian harnesses.

You know, the usual. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No, it needs to be something immovably attached to the wall. A tether would still let you spin, and a bungee cord would be worse than nothing because it would add a whole new uncontrollable motion to the mix. Which might be fun for some until someone started to get queasy.

On the ISS they've discovered that in order to work at a computer or a piece of lab equipment, you have to anchor your feet somehow or you just wibble around like a balloon every time you move your hands.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

And wibbling around during sex would just, like, be a nuisance . . . or not . . . =:)
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So, what? Harnesses? Would one need to get strapped in before hand? I'd also mark that under the "might be fun for some" category but it doesn't sound very romantic to me. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

How about multiple tethers attached to a harness and a bungee or two to provide, um, oscillation aid?

I mean, what's the point of having sex in space if you have to attach your feet to something? :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm assuming well-documented research papers have been published on this topic.....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I could make some up. :D
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Believe me, I looked. 8) Matter of research for my novel, you understand.

What I envisioned was just anchoring your feet in metal loops that would be all over the walls anyway. Only one partner would have to do this.

The thing is (and I have heard that this is the result of actual, er, research in zero gravity), if you're completely unanchored and there's nothing to brace against, you can't move in the necessary ways; you push on someone and they float farther away. No leverage. And then you start spinning. Which isn't actually all that much fun if you can't control it, I hear. Your inner ears don't do well with it. And throwing up in zero gravity is a baaaaad idea.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I suspect that throwing up during sex - anywhere - is a bad idea. :D

Well, it's the sort of research that young, healthy people enjoy and I'm sure there will be no shortage of volunteers.

Old, unhealthy people might enjoy it, too, but no one is going to be sending them to space . . . . :(
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

vison wrote:And wibbling around during sex would just, like, be a nuisance . . . or not . . . =:)
"Wibble" was a typo for "wobble," of course, but I left it because "wibble" sounds more helpless and pitiable. :D
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Yes, indeed, it does! It is perfect in its place.
:D
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's our family word for when your chin trembles. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

And also useful when one needs to leave the army by convincing the CO that you are insane!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I might be completely misremembering things, but there was some sort of sleeping bag harnessed to the walls for zero-g in Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 sequels. I can't remember if it was used for sexual activity or just sleeping in the books, but either way, I imagine it would solve most of the problems.

No, wait, I remember what happened - a guy and a girl were in the sleeping bag together for non-sexual reasons, and once gravity returned, it got awkward. This was during the slingshot maneuver in 2010. And now it is 2010.... Where's that manned mission to Jupiter, again?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Alatar wrote:And also useful when one needs to leave the army by convincing the CO that you are insane!

Oh yes!!! classic :rofl:

Blackadder: Right Baldrick, this is an old trick I picked up in the Sudan. We tell HQ I have gone insane, and I will be invalided back to Blighty before you can say "Wibble". A poor gormless idiot.
Baldrick: But I'm a poor gormless idiot and I've never been invalided back to Blighty.
Blackadder: Yes Baldrick, but you never said "Wibble". Now ask me some simple questions.
Baldrick: Right. What is your name?
Blackadder: Wibble.
Baldrick: What is two plus two?
Blackadder: Oh, wibble wibble.
Baldrick: Where do you live?
Blackadder: London.
Baldrick: Eh?
Blackadder: A small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wibble.

It's even in the Urban Dictionary:
Wibble

The word used by Rowan Atkinson in "blackadder goes forth" to denote a state of insanity. In the scene he puts pencils up his nose and repeats "wibble wibble" in order to get sent home from the trenches.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wibble
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Elentári wrote:Well marketing is ahead of the game...there are action figures already available... ;)

http://www.thetoyfederation.com/product ... t=0&page=1
She looks so grim, but, then again, I'd be in a bad mood too if I had to wear a bra like that. Seriously. Think about it. Never mind the support or lack thereof, just standing still in that has to hurt.
When you can do nothing what can you do?