V

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

They've behaved pretty bad so far. One might have to call them evil. Although there are factions so who knows.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

from N.E. Brigand
Is there any chance that the show's creators are playing on audience expectations based on the original shows, and that the aliens will turn out not to be villains after all? Something like Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End?
That would certainly elevate the entire plot to several levels above what it now appears to be. So far they have pretty much phoned it in by the usual numbers. I suspect that Clarke is a far superior writer than the crew putting out this TV series. CHILDHOOD'S END is one wonderful book.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I just watched the third episode. Some good stuff. Nice reveal at the end, some interesting effects. Still a lot to build on.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, the 4th episode (and final until March) was last night.

I thought it was definitely the best so far. There wasn't a scene that didn't grip me. The rate they're revealing information is near perfect. The torment some characters are already having to deal with is extremely interesting.

The show is extremely fast paced, but doesn't feel rushed. Great pacing.

Anyway, it looks like it will be back in March to continue, and I'm looking forward to it

MINOR SPOILERS:

I loved the fact the flu vaccine was the carrier for the deadly drugs :).
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I would agree that last nights was the best one yet. The ratings overnight indicate that they held pretty much the same rating from the previous week. V was in a second place tie for the first thirty minutes but fell behind in the second thirty minutes so it finished third in its time slot.

I have one of those 65 inch HD tv's where you can see every little thing on the screen and I have to say that the neck on Anna - the head alien - gets more giraffe like each week. I wonder if that is intentional to make her look more unhuman or if it is just that stretched out supermodel look?

I too saw the announcement saying they would be back in March. I will continue to watch. One of my favorite new shows of the year - GLEE - goes off on December 9th and does not come back until mid April. I am not a fan of this new type of scheduling. I long for the good old days of 39 weeks of new episodes in a series.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I agree, sf. I now have all three seasons of the old Star Trek and it's 79 episodes, not 66. And the shows are 50 minutes long, not 42. (Some of them I probably haven't seen uncut since I was seven years old, so it's been like watching a new show.) There'd be a new episode more often than not, and the networks didn't save every bit of good stuff for sweeps months and leave the rest a wasteland. And they're wondering why their ratings are falling.

I might take another look at V. I'm sure there will be opportunities. The first episode didn't capture me, and it's been a very busy time, so I let the rest go.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I dunno. I'm a big fan of the BBC and HBO approach. Make 10-12 eps a season, but make them damn good. With the exception of a few notable shows, most Network series have a lot of filler. I prefer the consistency of quality over quantity.

There's only 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers, 24 episodes of Blackadder. But they never miss a beat.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End