Best Classic Rock Live Albums

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Actually, there were two live Bob Marley albums released while he was still alive. The first, Live! was recorded in 1975 at a show in London. The second, Babalon By Bus was recorded in 1978 in Paris as part of the Kaya tour. There was also a video released of one of their shows, but I can’t remember which one it was.
WampusCat wrote:I just remembered one of my all-time favorites, from a band you've probably never heard of.
Renaissance: Live from Carnegie Hall (a double album from 1976)
I have heard of them, in fact I have one of their albums - Tales of 1001 Nights, a compilation that includes several of the tracks from Live from Carnegie Hall.

Ok, obscure trivia time - did you know that Renaissance grew out of the same band that spawned Led Zeppelin? The founding members of Renaissance were Keith Relf and Jim McCarty, guitarist and drummer respectively for the Yardbirds. In 1969 they decided to leave the Yardbirds and form a new experimental band merging folk, rock and classical music. This band, Renaissance, lasted less than one year in its original form before Relf and McCarty left, however the group continued without them and after several lineup changes emerged in their final form.

In the meantime, the sole remaining member of the Yardbirds, Jimmy Page, found himself in possession of that group's name and therefore obligated to fulfill scheduled concert dates, so he put together a new band. They performed its first few shows under the name “New Yardbirds” before officially changing it to Led Zeppelin.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I had no idea! Thanks for the information, tinwë.

The Live at Carnegie Hall album is amazing, especially "Ashes Are Burning." If you still have something that plays vinyl I'll be happy to let you borrow it sometime. Or you could just come over to hear it. I believe I owe you dinner.

A bit off subject: There will be live, if not exactly classic, rock at Casa WampusCat tomorrow. It was supposed to be my son's CD Release Party, but the band decided they needed a little more time to finish the CD. So he has labeled it a CD Anticipation Party. I am the official Adult Supervision. :scarey: Perhaps someday fans will speak of the lack of foresight in not recording Tiny City live at the start of their rise to stardom. 8)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

As long as we are mentioning the Yardbirds, no discussion of great classic rock live albums would be complete without mentioning Five Live Yardbirds, the 1964 live album featuring Eric "Slowhand" Clapton; definitely one of the greatest blues-rock albums ever.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The Beatles: Live! at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany; 1962

But I do think the best is one that's been mentioned before: Live at Leeds. Few other live albums really capture that electric "live" vibe - and this was the best live band of its generation, at its height.

And an honorable mention for Band of Gypsies, just for "Machine Gun."

Oh, and the Karl Boehm recording of Siegfried at Bayreuth 1966. ;)