Up

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Up

Post by Alatar »

I haven't seen a thread on this here, so apologies if I missed it.

What a touching, beautiful movie! A film critic here stated that the first 15 minutes of Up are the best cinema all year, and I have to agree. I thought it was losing its way a little in the middle, but true to form Pixar proved me wrong. Their best yet I think.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I would agree that the first part of the film which chronicles the young lovers was excellent.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I thought it was wonderful.

sniff sniff :cry:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I sobbed like a baby through the first fifteen minutes.

Then I was relieved to have a burly male colleague admit he did the same thing!

I could have done without about ten minutes' worth of dog chase toward the end, but I loved this film overall. (And afterwards went to have ice cream at Fenton's in Oakland -- which appears in the film!)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

LOVED this movie. Loved it. The first 15 minutes (which had NO real dialogue) completely did me in...and I was close to tears for the rest of it.

It was a gentle, tender story...something not seen too much these days. I loved the old man (Ed Asner - what a great choice.) The boy who did the voice was the first Asian-American character for PIXAR...and apparently it was his brother who was auditioning. But this kid (aged 7) would not stop talking and they realized that he was what they wanted! Perfectly done.

Christopher Plummer was the mad explorer. And I loved Dug the Dog. ("I hid under your porch because I LOVE you." *bawl*)

My daughter has been begging me to see this since it came out in the states. She new I'd cry through the whole thing. She said that she cried like a baby and then later, when she THOUGHT about the movie, she'd start to cry as well.

Wonderfully touching film and so good on so many levels!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I cried too....
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Since you bumped this......

A friend vocalized something yesterday which I've been thinking for a couple weeks: the 3D in the theater for UP was MUCH better then the 3D for Avatar. IMO. Maybe not a fair comparison but there you go.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Up was wonderful. It was one of our New Year's Eve movies. I didn't realize that was Christopher Plummer—he was in one of the others as well, Inside Job, a clever thriller from Spike Lee with a marvelous cast. (Unlike a lot of films in this genre, this one was not very violent, just tense. I liked that.)

Up was fun for our dog, too. She leaped around barking, sometimes when she heard the dogs, sometimes when she just saw them. I think the dogs (Dug especially) were my favorite part, too. If dogs could talk, that's how they'd do it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I also loved it. (And I thought Dug was the best character!)

I didn't cry but only because I was with a group of people the first time I saw it. I'm sure if I watch it by myself I'll bawl.

There were just a lot of powerful themes throughout the entire movie.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Fabulous movie- perhaps Pixar's best. Just re-watched it on DVD yesterday. Emotional (yes, I sniffled)- but there is a lot of depth concealed under the simplicity and whimsy, too. Much going on re emotional baggage and living in the past.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I thought the talking dogs were fun but the weirdly super-intelligent dogs bugged me. It crossed the line for me when they were flying planes. A slight mar on an otherwise wonderful movie.
-The Decemberists

Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'm with yov on the dogs, and with everybody in liking this lovely and loving movie.
:)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I saw this at Costco the other day - I guess I'll buy it next time I'm there.
Dig deeper.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My daughter just bought the DS game and loves it! My eldest saw it at the London IMAX back in the summer and thought it very enjoyable, so I guess it'll be on my TO SEE list. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I loved it. The whole Dug thing was great. Loved Dug. Loved Russell and Carl and loved how evil Muntz was.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The name "Charles F. Muntz" may reflect Charles F. Mintz, the producer who stole Walt Disney's first successful character, Oswald the Rabbit.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

We watched this Monday evening. I loved the first part - at our age my husband and I were sorta quiet watching . . .

I loved Dug.

But: (spoilers) I think the movie makers gave into the "if one dog is good, 1,000 dogs is 1,000 times cooler and better" idea. They always do. And I did not like the flying dogs at all. There must have been another way that could have been handled.

A very good little movie. Glad we watched it.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Hey look! We agree on something!
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I agree. The film's premise was brilliant and the first part flawless, but it dragged a little around the middle. Besides the weird talking dogs and general zaniness there was a sense of flailing around to find the plot now that the main objective (flying to South America) had actually been achieved.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

As we say in Quaker land, "The Friend speaks my mind."

Lord M, that is. And yov and vison.

:)