Francis Coppola sees cinema falling apart

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Well, yes. Faramir talks for two chapters straight about the history of Gondor when we meet him. I remember liking him a lot for what he said, but any movie that tried to present the Henneth Annun scenes exactly as written would certainly be...tedious, to say the least.

But by 'puristy', people usually mean lacking additions that contradict the source material. So, it's okay to trim Faramir's lengthy speeches down to a line or two that conveys his point of view, but it's not okay to make him take the Ring to Osgiliath. That sort of thing. Additions of material that is in the spirit of the original may or may not be acceptable, depending on personal taste and how stringent your purist tendencies are.

I don't recall vison disliking the LotR films herself (then again, I avoided the M00bies forum on TORc while the films were coming out), but after having seen how fans reacted so...passionately...to changes in the source material, it is a fair thing to say that someone, somewhere will do this -- remake Lord of the Rings the way it 'should have been'.

Creative editing of PJs films to make them more puristy has already happened. I didn't see them, but someone had a copy they showed at A Long Expected Party last year. Among other things, Aragorn got Anduril earlier. A discussion appears here. I'm sure it will resurface at There and Back Again in 2011.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Back, people, back from the precipice...

The one thing I can see interfering with cinema-on-demand is the perception on the part of studios that it might impact DVD sales negatively.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's pretty hilarious, remembering years ago when studios fought cable television tooth and nail because it was going to destroy the movie business. Instead it turned out to be another revenue stream. They were unable to imagine home video would ever be a consumer sales business, either—the first videotapes of movies cost $90 or more (in 1983!) and were intended for sale to video rental stores only.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The River of Irony is deep and wide.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It is still possible to hit the jackpot on a nickel slot, as it were:

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/ ... _activity/
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

MithLuin wrote:I don't recall vison disliking the LotR films herself
:rotfl:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."