It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:44 pm 

Has anyone else been watching the excellent PBS series from Ken Burns "National Parks - America's Best Idea"? I visited three this summer - Yosemite, John Muir Redwoods, and Alcatraz and must say I find this series very inspiring in so many different ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:32 pm 
Feeling grateful

Ken Burns always does great work. I look forward to seeing this on DVD (I don't have broadcast television or cable).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:51 pm 
Meanwhile...

The perils of scanning.

First reaction - someone burned a national park? :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:

Haven't seen the show, sounds very interesting.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:19 pm 
Lali Beag Bídeach

I've been watching in bits and pieces. I'll look forward to the DVD series when it comes out, so I can see the whole thing. What I've watched has been very interesting!

(That story about the honeymooning couple traveling on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon was SAD, though!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:59 pm 
Daydream Believer.

My whole summer and surgery was scheduled around national parks. First through the San Luis Valley of Colorado (a way to Denver I have never been before), across Wyoming and to lower Montana via Yellowstone, over to the Selway Bitterroot and up to lower Washington. I went to Yosimite when I was kid, it was a combined trip.

Anyway I have noticed the program but haven't watched much of it yet. If the world would slow down a bit I might be able to, but I will probably watch the DVD's.

I must say the Selway-Bitterroot range is amazing. I thought Colorado was amazing.

I want to go to the new skywalk thing at the Grand Canyon though, mostly to see it, but also because I know two of the planners/engineers that helped design the thing.

However I do believe my next trip will be one back east, most likely in November to see my son, who is just a stone's throw away from the Smokey's.

Oh I have also found that if one wants to see really amazing things one has to go off the beaten path and know some locals who know where to go. I had that in the Selway-Bitterroot area, my friend Charity lives in that part of the world and knows all the secret dirt roads. And you get to see wildlife not normally seen on the main roads.

And it's all good fun driving up there before getting cut on, the drive back I was on interstates the whole time and could care less. I just wanted to be home, surgery will do that I guess. Now if I could just figure out how the doctor and hospital were in my insurance system plan.... :scratch:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:44 am 
Creature of the night

You might be heading toward the Smoky Mountains? What part? North Carolina? * wish, wish *