A Princess of Mars

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

A Princess of Mars

Post by vison »

In the works at Pixar, I hear::

Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Really, seriously? I know one was talked of a few years ago, with Harry Knowles of Ain't-It-Cool News involved (personally: yikes), but it seemed to sputter out.

These are books I love on a totally visceral level. They are less sexist (and much less racist) than one might believe; they are complete cartoony fun to read.

I am, right at the moment, reading A Fighting Man of Mars as my relaxing/undemanding book (with several other types on the pile, but somehow I get through this category faster than the others :roll: ). It's got my favorite Barsoomian heroine of all the books, with a nice but lunk-headed hero who realizes only just in time that it is Tavia the athletic, plain-spoken, courageous slave girl he loves, not the beautiful but venal ice princess Sanoma Tora.

Oops, spoilers, but this isn't the kind of book where you wouldn't figure this out on page 41, which is the first paragraph with Tavia in it.

Love these. And Pixar would probably treat them right.

ETA: Although. That cover you show has them wearing WAY more clothing than they do in the books. A little harness to hold their weapons, that was it, even for the women (who often don't even have that). Then at night, some "sleeping silks and furs" (which always sound so nice) as bedding. This is one instance where Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo got it exactly right.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Ha, a friend just told me yesterday that was what Avatar reminded him of.

I haven't read it so I can't say either way.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

I was intrigued enough by your post, vison, to do a little googling and found some early production details on imdb. It sounds like it should be an interesting project. There was also a version released on DVD just before Christmas, though apparently it was slightly on the budget side.

I'd have to confess to not being familiar with the books, but based on Prim's review I might give them a try. (I'm always in the market for new things to read...)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Rodia wrote:Ha, a friend just told me yesterday that was what Avatar reminded him of.

I haven't read it so I can't say either way.
Avatar reminded your friend of A Princess of Mars? I can't see that, not even remotely.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Gawd I forgot all about this book. It's been over 25 years :shock: I am going to check it out at the library and re-read it.

I would think Pixar would do a great job.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The illustration I posted was by Frank Schoonover. It was the cover picture and had to be a little more modest than the ones inside. As far as I know he was the illustrator of the old (probably 1st edition) hardcovers we had on the school bookshelves when I was a kid. We also had a couple at home, along with all of Tarzan, Pellucidar, etc. I wish I still had them!!!!

I read these books in the 50s. A Princess of Mars was almost the first "science fiction" I ever read and I devoured them and read them over and over. They were and are wonderful stories.

Oddly enough, Fighting Man of Mars wasn't in the bunch. I read it for the first time a year or so ago and it was terrific. As Prim says, it wasn't horribly racist or sexist and Tavia was the best of the Martian women.

I have seen what I imagined were little allusions to Barsoom in various movies over the years, especially in one of the first Star Wars movies. I think. And I instantly thought of Thoats when I saw the creatures in Avatar: 6 legged!

ABE books has the Mars books by the bazillion and some of them are hardcovers from 1917. I had a great time skimming that site!
Dig deeper.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

This is the image on a Pixar related blog...I wonder how Pixar are planning to "costume" the cast for family viewing... ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

ETA: Although. That cover you show has them wearing WAY more clothing than they do in the books. A little harness to hold their weapons, that was it
Reminds me of the old Infocom parody-game Leather Goddesses of Phobos. The inventory command would return

Code: Select all

You are wearing:

a bronze bikini

The bronze bikini contains:

you
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Elentári wrote:Image

This is the image on a Pixar related blog...I wonder how Pixar are planning to "costume" the cast for family viewing... ;)
That is, I believe, a Franzetta (Franzetti?) picture and is utterly repulsive. Suited Conan and probably the Gor books (never read either series). Many artists did these books over the course of many editions - but in all honesty good old Schoonover's were the best.

I remember a picture of Thuvia, Maid of Mars, in her "harness", huddled fetchingly in her sleeping furs. Great stuff!
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Much like Spielberg and Jackson's big-screen adaptation of Tintin, Pixar will bring a trio of John Carter of Mars films to cinemas. However, there will be only one mastermind: über-director Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, WALL-E). According to Pixar, the movies will be a combination of live-action and CGI, and will probably go for a PG or PG-13 rating.

Stanton may or may not help write the 3 movies' scripts, which starts with an adaptation of Princess of Mars, now renamed John Carter of Mars. Storyboarder Mark Andrews (Ratatouille, the short One Man Band) is officially the senior scriptwriter for all three movies.
I don't know a thing about these books but as a huge Pixar fan, I am officially excited about everything they're doing, and I am very curious to see if they can do live-action and PG-13 as well as their CG all-ages fair!!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm curious where the Pixar connection comes in? This is a live action movie by Disney. I don't see any mention of Pixar on IMDB at any rate.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

Here's the trailer to the cheapie version for those interested! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsawq3PBMms
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Why would they rename it John Carter of Mars? :shock: :scratch: "A Princess of Mars" is SO much cooler.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:I'm curious where the Pixar connection comes in? This is a live action movie by Disney. I don't see any mention of Pixar on IMDB at any rate.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

Here's the trailer to the cheapie version for those interested! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsawq3PBMms
wiki wrote:In January 2007, Disney regained the rights, acquiring them this time for Andrew Stanton and writer Mark Andrews. By 2008 they completed the first draft for part one of a film trilogy. Having completed WALL-E, Stanton planned to have his next film out in 2012, the centenary of the series. Stanton and Wells visited Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.'s archives in Tarzana, California, as part of their research.[9] Jim Morris, general manager of Pixar, said the film will have a unique look separate from Frank Frazetta's illustrations, which they found dated.[11] Ed Catmull said Pixar will not do the special effects;[12] Stanton noted he was effectively being "loaned" to Walt Disney Pictures because Pixar is an all-ages brand, whereas John Carter will be rated PG-13.[13]
Essentially, everyone working on it is from the Pixar team, but they're saying it's a Disney movie for branding purposes.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Here is a fun place for us ERB fans:

http://www.erbzine.com/mag0/0053.html

Fabulous illustrations by several artists, one of whom is ERB's nephew, Studley Burroughs.

Yes, Studley.

The family had issues, I would suspect . . . .
Dig deeper.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

This was supposedly Tarzan and Jane:

Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I read the first section with great interest and will go back for the rest. Studley had some pretty serious tragedy in his life. But the illustrations were great! Interesting that ERB was so meticulously specific about their details.

I'm glad the films won't be following Frazetta's style, which I agree is dated.

And, my theory on why it's "John Carter of Mars" is that they want boys to see it. "A Princess of Mars" from Disney might make people expect catchy songs and pretty dresses. The books aren't exactly on the mass-culture radar at the moment.

I'm hopeful that these will be a ton of fun. There is not a great deal of high literary or intellectual value to compromise here; just a gold mine of adventure and thrills and spectacle.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well marketing is ahead of the game...there are action figures already available... ;)

http://www.thetoyfederation.com/product ... t=0&page=1
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Well she doesn't look to family friendly. I have to wonder how anyone would be able to fight in that outfit. If I was going to a fight or battle, I'd be in about 5 layers of kevlar and inside the biggest tank possible, not in a bikini with a small knife.

My ex-husband would say she has a great body, and a face to protect it.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The first thing I thought was, "Dang that bra looks like a torture implement." My second thought was, why are her thighs the most important thing to protect with armor.

For some reason designers of these toys never make male warriors with their private parts encased in patterned sheet metal sheaths, which would be about the equivalent in terms of comfort and utility.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!