District 9

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

District 9

Post by Angbasdil »

I just got back from it and my head is still reeling. This film packs such a punch that I'm gonna have to recuperate before I can post at any length about it. For now I'll just say that I'd be hard pressed to name a better sci-fi film. It's profoundly disturbing in the best possible way.

Go see it.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I have seen commercials for it and it looks really interesting.If it's as spoiler free review I will be very interested in it.
Angbasdil

Post by Angbasdil »

Wilma,

If you're planning to see it anyway, don't read this. Just go. But if you're not sure and want me to tell you why you should see it, here's a mostly spoiler free review. I'll talk about the major themes the film deals with, but not the story details.

Peter Jackson produced it. The director is Neill Blomkamp, and this is his first full length film. He gained a lot of attention (including PJ's) with some short films, and PJ was going to have him direct his film of the videogame Halo. Fortunately (in retrospect), that project fell through and he and PJ did this one instead. The budget was only $30M.

The film begins in a faux documentary style, recounting the arrival of an alien vessel over Johannesburg, South Africa. The aliens are stranded, in poor health and low on supplies. A multinational organization is put together to deal with the extraterrestrial refugees, who end up in a camp (a slum basically), the titular District 9. Tensions rise between the "prawns", as they are derisively nicknamed, and the locals, until a new camp is built far from the city and a civilian contractor is hired to forcibly evacuate the prawns to District 10.

This is about 15-20 minutes into the film, at which point it begins to intercut between the documentary style and a more traditional style. The transitions are seamless in the moment, but very effective in making the whole film seem real, like a piece of history. But that's not the important thing about this film. What's important is how the story unfolds from here on out. I called it "profoundly disturbing" earlier, and it is. It grabs your attention and yanks you right out of your comfort zone, making you think and feel things that you probably didn't want to think and feel. But you probably should anyway. Even now, after a good night's sleep , I still can't put words to it very well.

But I'll try.

D9 isn't just a great sci-fi film. It's a great film. But the sci-fi part is important. because what sci-fi is supposed to do is show a world that almost, but not quite, reflects our own. See, we know what we think about our present reality. We carry preconceived ideas and assumptions (schemas, to be geeky about it) that color our judgement. So when someone show us a reality like our own, we judge it based on what we already know (or think we know). But sci-fi allows the storyteller to show us a reality that is different enough from our own that our prejudices don't quite fit, but still be close enough to show us something about ourselves. D9 is hands down the best example I personally can think of for a film doing this. Just be forewarned, what it shows us about ourselves isn't very pretty. The humans really aren't the good guys here. And the thing is, no reasonably informed person can look at how the characters behave and tell themselves that people just wouldn't do that. Because people have done that. They've done exactly that. To other people, no less. You seriously think that we, as species, would treat a bunch of giant bugs from outer space better than we've treated other people? Not likely.

And yet somehow this little film manages to not be preachy or heavy-handed. Yes, it's violent, even gory. But none of it is gratuitous. The camera, like the story, never blinks, never flinches, never yields an inch. It simply shows us a very real possibility, I think the probability, of how we would act under these hypothetical circumstances. And as much as I'd like to believe Blomkamp is wrong, I can't quite make myself believe that. History just doesn't bear it out.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Looking forward to this one having lived in Josie, I would have thought it's a pretty strange place for aliens to choose. Obviously there are echoes of the removals from District 6 in cape town and the cleaning of sophiatown.
Angbasdil

Post by Angbasdil »

The real life parallels are pretty obvious (and definitely intentional). Blomkamp is from South Africa, BTW.
As for why the aliens chose there, it's not really addressed in the film, but I assumed at the time that their ship just happened to break down there.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Hidden text.

The part that most shocked me were the street commentaries- people saying stuff like "They'll just take your shoes right off your feet." and "They should go somewhere else." Because that could have been part of any real-life documentary. You hear stuff like that on the news all the time, and it's people talking about OTHER PEOPLE.

And the 'prawns' aren't easy neighbours to have when you look at it. Their habits as shown in the film are something a lot of us would find repulsive. This happens a lot among people, too- we clash against another culture and suddenly we have to get used to them eating stuff we wouldn't touch, playing music that is too loud and tuneless for our ears, behaving in a way that just doesn't appeal to us at all. And we think, well, of course we have nothing against these people but we wish they'd go somewhere else.

Just thinking that, well, I challenge anyone to say they're completely above such feelings, and if they are I'll light a votive at their altar. But from such feelings and thoughts it's a small step to deciding that our comfort is infinitely more important than theirs, and that instead of learning to tolerate their different customs we would rather force them to leave.

Scary to see it like that. It's important to be reminded of how close we can get to doing horrible things even while we think we're not asking for much.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Now that, ladies and gentleman, is an effective spoiler warning!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Hey, I don't post here often enough to know what the rules are in movie threads, but I do know what a pain it is to have one spoiled. :blackeye:

Can I assume from now on that one enters a movie thread at their own risk?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My two cents, as a fellow reader of movie threads, is that this would be a good policy. Labeled nonspoiler threads can always be started separately. But that's just my opinion.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I would love it if everyone was as careful as you, Ro, but I think it probably too much to ask/expect.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Maintaining a spoiler-warning rule can really inhibit the flow of a discussion. I'm inclined to suggest that people who want nonspoiler discussion of a particular book or film or TV show should probably start a thread for it, so that people who just want to discuss the thing can do so freely.

Back when Babylon 5 was being broadcast for the first time, I regularly read the moderated Usenet newsgroup. Moderation was very unusual for Usenet, but because the show's creator, producer, and writer read and posted in that group, the moderation was for him, to prevent him from seeing story ideas posted by fans (which could lead to legal problems if he appeared to use any idea similar to a fan's in an actual episode). The mods also used it to maintain a level of civility and to keep spoilers out of the nonspoiler threads.

The point is, there were always nonspoiler and spoiler threads for each episode—and the spoiler threads had five times the traffic, IIRC.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

IAWP, for whatever that's worth. Having to post spoiler warnings actually inhibits me from posting anything. All that extra effort.

That probably says something not too flattering about me. :P
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

I did the spoiler warning just to be safe, but I'd rather not have to next time. Easier to make a separate non-spoiler thread. Also, sometimes people have a different understanding of what a spoiler is.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

yov gives this movie two hearty thumbs up. 8)
A must see in particular for non-squeamish (VERY grimly violent, non-gratuitously) sci-fi fans.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Tay went to see this the other night. He said it was confusing, but overall he thought it was ok.

I guess I'll give it a pass.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I've been told by my filmhead son that I have to see it, but he agrees that I would do better seeing it on DVD. I can "hide" from DVDs more easily.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

When I left the cinema the first thought in my head was , this is so much better than Cloverfield. I mean there's room to compare the two- pseudo-actual footage that gradually succumbs to the rules of feature film cinematography for one. Thing was, in Cloverfield we were constantly reminded of the person behind the camera while in District 9 we never meet the cinematographer so it's much easier to forget that the documentary couldn't possibly have included certain shots featured in the film.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The Cloverfield comparison is fairly superficial though as that movie wasn't trying to do anything more than be scary/thrilling. A la Blair Witch. D9 has a lot more than that on its mind.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Well yes that's why I was only comparing it as far as fake real footage goes.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Great movie. Loved it.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End