Julie & Julia

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
sauronsfinger

Julie & Julia

Post by sauronsfinger »

Saw it on opening day and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Streep is Julia Child. A really great performance. You know the movie works well when they switch back and forth between the two different stories and you forget about the previous one for a few minutes since it is so enjoyable.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

So the modern story isn't too irritating? I saw a trailer for this film and loved the idea of a movie about Julia Child -- I'm a big fan! -- but worried the "Julie" part might be a little heavy on the sweeteners.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Teremia - it did not strike me that way. I liked both parts of it although Streep really steals the film as Child so its difficult to compare. The whole thing works.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Went to see this film tonight with a friend, as it's only just come out over here.

Immaculate acting and great direction. Streep gave a warmth and vulnerability to a large than life personality. The two stories worked perfectly together, the whole film was LOL funny, beautifully observed, charming and poignant - full of laughter and tears. In fact, I left the cinema feeling rather overwhelmed and little teary-eyed... and it wasn't the onions!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I am very glad you liked it Elen. For a film that garned very good reviews and has done consistent business since its release, it seems to attract very little attention on this board. That is too bad because I think many here would really like it.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I watched half of it yesterday and loved it, so far.
Dig deeper.