Number 9, Number 9......

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lindréd

Number 9, Number 9......

Post by Lindréd »

On 09-09-09 all of the Beatles studio albums (the original British albums, not the chopped up and pasted together American ones) and the entire singles catalog will be released in a re-mastered, sonically improved format.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... er-9-2009/

For those who already have the "Love" or "Let It Be: Naked" CDs, you have an idea of what the improved sound quality is like. It's impressive.

When I was a little kid, I was introduced to the Beatles through my much older siblings who were teenagers in the 60s. (Same ones who later introduced me to Tolkien, and to many other types of music) The Beatles became the first great artistic passion of my life, not because of their pop/rockstar status, but because their music was so incredible. I was captivated with other types of music and bands later on (as some of you already know). But, looking back, The Beatles are probably the primary reason why I ended up being a musician.

The parallels between The Beatles and Tolkien are interesting. Both are considered quintessential in their respective genres. Both were initially slammed by some highbrow critics who thought they knew better, and basically missed the point (this continues to some degree today, for both). Both, in terms of depth, scope, creativity and consistent quality are completely in a league of their own. And both, years and years later, can still rise to the top of their respective charts (probably the greatest testament to their importance).

(However.... I am really glad the Beatles did not get the movie rights to LOTR... or was it The Hobbit?...... in either case, that would have been ugly)

There has been a lot of chatter on the web that these new Beatle album CDs are not necessary, that the era of the "album" is over, and that the songs merely need to be released individually as singles for digital downloading. To that I say...Phooey! The albums (including their respective singles done at the same time) were collective works, representative of a particular moment in the band's development, and for maximum impact the music ought to be listened to that way. This is why the Beatles hated the American albums. Capitol chopped up the original albums, added additional material and effects, and "stretched" them into more albums to make more money. (That said, a miscellaneous mix of Beatles songs regardless of album or year can be fun to listen to as well)

The albums will be available individually, or as a box set. (actually two different box sets: one with all the albums - and singles in stereo, and one featuring the original Mono mixes of the earlier works)

http://larryfire.wordpress.com/2009/06/ ... irst-look/

I know that it is "my doom" to get both box sets. I hereby officially give up fighting that impulse now; so perhaps it won't hurt so bad when I actually buy them! :)

Feel free to talk about the Beatles, your experiences with or impressions of their music, the Tolkien analogy, your favorite albums or songs etc. etc.

To start off:
My favorite album is Sgt. Pepper
(primarily because of its influence and creativity)
and my favorite song is Lennon's "In My Life"
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lindréd, what a great comparison between the Beatles and Tolkien. I've never seen such a comparison made before, and it really stands up well.

I'm not sure that I could pick a favorite Beatles' song, but I'll say "A Day in the Life" for now.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Woo-hoo!

I agree completely: the Fabs' output (at least from Rubber Soul onward) were albums, not just collections of songs. This is most obvious of course in Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road; but in each of the others as well the boys and George Martin debated endlessly what to include and in what order, the importance of which track leading into which other.

It's interesting to see how far the remastering will go. The existing (1982) CD release has been universally execrated: a quick-and-dirty analog transfer, in some cases from second- or third-generation copies of the stero-mix 'masters.' And of course those mixes themselves are hobbled by the limitations of four-track machines and the need to 'bounce' tracks down to provide more room- the principal reason for the peculiar stereo imaging on the LPs (at least through Magical Mystery Tour, amazingly, the mono was considered the 'real' mix and the stereo just a sales gimmick!)

And this new remastering has its own challenges: do unbounced multi-track tapes of individual takes even exist any more? In fact, it was normal in the 4-track days to multi-mike rhythm and vocal tracks, but live-mix them ahead of the tape, so that discrete instrument or singer tracks never existed at all.

Still, if the results are like the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack", this is fabulous news (pun intended). My vinyl is pretty much worn out.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I've never been much of a Beatles fan but I bought Love and it was an enormous revalation to me. Several tracks which I've always felt meh about sounded so much better and a lot of the music finally clicked for me. I am the Walrus in particular still sounds kinda dumb to me on the regular CD but sounds like pure magic on Love. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

solicitr wrote: do unbounced multi-track tapes of individual takes even exist any more? In fact, it was normal in the 4-track days to multi-mike rhythm and vocal tracks, but live-mix them ahead of the tape, so that discrete instrument or singer tracks never existed at all..
Interesting question. The layering together of different songs on the "Love" CD indicates that for that project they had access to some 4-track tapes and were able in certain instances to isolate some individual tracks (from the middle period onward) For eg. they have Paul's wild guitar solo from Taxman superimposed on the basic Drive My Car/What You're Doin track. I know that at some point during the Beatles' later recordings they were able to sync up multiple 4-track machines so that more individual instrument/vocal tracks were possible.

Geoff Emerick's book talks about this..I'll have to get that book out again. But I've read the same thing as you Soli, that in most cases the basic rhythm track was premixed on to a channel or two, then only certain things were added on to the remaining open tracks (like a lead guitar, lead vocal, or in later years Paul's bass)

My take on this remastering endeavor (and I'm not sure about this..I haven't seen enough info yet) is that they are not going all the way back and "remixing" from the multi-tracks, but rather they are going back to the first generation masters (whether stereo or mono), cleaning them up a bit, and doing some high quality limiting to increase the levels and "richness". I did read somewhere (from a supposed inside source) that the Yellow Submarine redo (as well as Let It Be Naked, which in my book is vastly superior to the original Phil Spectorized version) is a good indication of what is coming, so Woo-hoo INDEED!

And Yovargas, I'm right with you on the upgraded way Walrus sounds on Love. Blew me away!

(edited to correct song title)
Last edited by Lindréd on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

So the first four albums are being redone in stereo for the stereo box set? I had been following this, but I guess that hadn't penetrated my skull until now. I'm so used to the mono mixes on the early albums that I'm not sure how I feel about it...if it weren't boxes we're talking about I might put together a "purist" set al a carte, with the first four mono and the rest stereo...

Decisions, decisions. I don't think I can justify getting the full stereo set AND the mono box.
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: I'm not sure that I could pick a favorite Beatles' song, but I'll say "A Day in the Life" for now.
That one's close to the top for me too! :)
Lennon's transition ahhhs in that song are one of the eeriest, coolest vocal things I've ever heard. I saw a documentary with George Martin about the recording of Pepper, and he was in the studio playing early takes of Day In The Life, and he just shook his head when Lennon started singing the song and said something to the effect of "even at this early stage his voice gives you goosebumps"
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Well, Ax, the first two albums were recorded (live) on 2-track (vocals on one channel, instruments on the other)- so a stereo release could in effect be a clone of the studio master! But of course mono was the intended end product.

I think the mono mixes of even the later albums would be fascinating (I heard the mono Sgt Pepper, once)- in many cases the difference isn't just balance: but even different takes! (BTW, "She's Leaving Home" is much less cloying on the original-speed mono, as opposed to the slowed-down stereo version we're familiar with).
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

axordil wrote:So the first four albums are being redone in stereo for the stereo box set?
Yes, for the stereo box set, that is my understanding.
(and the Past Masters singles vol 1 and 2, stereo as well)

But what I don't know is if the individual released CDs will be
all stereo or mono on the first 4.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Yeah, I used to have an import vinyl copy of Revolver (Uruguay I think) with some sonic effects I don't recall hearing when the CD came out. Maybe it's old age, though.

But I do know I've heard at least four versions of Penny Lane, and cannot find the one with the little trumpet coda at the end anywhere. Maybe it will resurface here.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Talking of "Aaaahs", this is my current fave song, simply Because I've been playing it in my wind band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE5f4hVMCew
"Because" is a ballad written by John Lennon (credited to Lennon/McCartney) and performed by The Beatles.It features a 3-part harmony vocal performance between Lennon,McCartney and George Harrison,overdubbed three times to make nine voices in all.The results of this have been compared in sound to the Beach Boys.It appeared on the 1969 album Abbey Road,and is the song that precedes the extended medley that formed side two of the original LP record.
The song begins with electric harpsichord played by George Martin and then joined by Lennon's guitar doubling the harpsichord and played through a Leslie speaker.Vocals and bass guitar enter in what Alan Pollack calls the "mini-bridge".
The song was one of the few Beatles songs to include an analog synthesizer arrangement (although analog keyboards such as the Mellotron had been used often by The Beatles,few songs featured the use of a traditional analog synthesizer with voltage-controlled oscillators).The Beatles at the time of Abbey Road were among the first contemporary rock bands to experiment with the Moog synthesizer.
According to Lennon,"Because"was inspired by Ludwig van Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"."Yoko was playing Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' on the piano...I said,Can you play those chords backwards?and wrote 'Because' around them.The lyrics speak for themselves...No imagery,no obscure references".
The main recording session for "Because" was on 1 August 1969,with vocal overdubs on 4 August, and a Moog synthesizer overdub by George Harrison on 5 August.As a result,this was the last song on the album to be committed to tape,although there were still overdubs for other incomplete songs.
A vocals-only version of the song can be found on Anthology 3 and Love and is an example of three part harmony from Lennon,McCartney,and Harrison,although the latter is slowed down and includes quiet nature sound effects.Both versions include the 'Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh' at the beginning.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

You guys may be interested in this.
Be sure to click on "take the virtual tour" on the left side.

http://store.boxofvision.com/

I have the remastered Yellow Submarine, and hearing All You Need Is Love remastered is incredible. I'm not so sure I feel the same way about all of their works though. All You Need Is Love has heavy orchestra to it so it benefits from remastering.
Songs like I Wanna Hold Your Hand I think was meant to be simple and sound like a 60's garage band. I am sure that too will sound fine, but I'm not sure I want those early songs to sound clean.

Guess I'm remembering the day of scratchy 45's and a giant piece of wooden furniture that called itself a hi-fi. I'm sure some of the remastered collection will find its way to me at some point, but the albums before Rubber Soul are less important to me to own remastered.

Yes I still have some of the vinyl albums. Even the chopped up American ones.

And yes Michael Jackson's estate will be benefitting from this.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Or Sony and the note holders for the estate, anyway...I believe his interest in Sony/ATV was used as collateral for large loans in the past few years.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Probably Sony, but his estate still has the rights.
Anyone wanna bet that Paul and Yoko try once again to buy the rights?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Depends on how their respective portfolios have done lately. ;)
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Mono/Stereo update
The individually released CDs will all be the stereo versions
(all 14 of them). Earliest run of these will be embedded with the "making of" videos.

Please Please Me (CD debut in stereo)
With The Beatles (CD debut in stereo)
A Hard Day's Night (CD debut in stereo)
Beatles For Sale (CD debut in stereo)
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Let It Be
Past Masters (vol 1 and 2, on one CD)

The Stereo Box set will have these same 14 CDs, all in stereo, plus separate DVDs of the "making of" videos

The Mono Box Set will contain the Mono mix versions of the first 10 albums (through the "White Album", i.e "The Beatles")
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

solicitr wrote:I think the mono mixes of even the later albums would be fascinating (I heard the mono Sgt Pepper, once)- in many cases the difference isn't just balance: but even different takes!
I didn't know that! Wow, that would be great to have the different takes...
Holbytla wrote:Songs like I Wanna Hold Your Hand I think was meant to be simple and sound like a 60's garage band. I am sure that too will sound fine, but I'm not sure I want those early songs to sound clean.
From what I read, the "cleaning" will be minimal (just major clicks and pops taken out). I know what you mean though. I grew up listening to those scratchy mono LPs (btw, we also had the Capitol LPs at our house. I didn't get into the British original albums til later). But I'm going to guess that the remasters are gonna have so much "attitude" that we won't miss the scratches!
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

But I do know I've heard at least four versions of Penny Lane, and cannot find the one with the little trumpet coda at the end anywhere. Maybe it will resurface here.
That little oddity is hard to find- it's the promo version of the single which was sent to North American radio stations (marked "not for resale"- so originals are worth a pretty penny).

However, you can get it (sort of) on the 1980 Rarities album.

Technically, the real promo single was Mix RM11 (17 Jan 1967); the commercial release was Mix RM14 (25 Jan). The track on Rarities isn't genuine; it merely spliced the seven trumpet notes onto the end of RM14.
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Elentári: thanks for posting the info on and link for Because (another terrific Lennon song). The wind-band arrangement sounds fascinating! Was it arranged soley around the original "three voices", or were more harmonies added? (my 18 yr old son arranged Because for a four part chorus as a music theory class project. He basically used the three existing "voices", and added a bass part)

Also, for those interested in the technical side (as a studio owner myself I certainly am! :)), there is a big book concerning all things relating to the recording of the Beatles called "Recording the Beatles" by Ryan & Kehew. Do you have this Soli? It looks great! Also "Beatles Gear" is a neat book which discusses their various guitars and amps over time.

(edit: name correction)
Last edited by Lindréd on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Lindréd - I'm afraid that we only play an excerpt of this beautiful song in the arrangement we play (it's a Beatles medley, which includes Drive my car, Eleanor Rigby, Hey Jude & Sgt. Pepper).

Because opens the whole piece on just the woodwind - 10 bars with flutes, oboe & clarinets, then saxophones double up the harmonies for another 11 bars. Yes, it is just the three-part harmonization!
Last edited by Elentári on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes