100 essential folk songs

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I grew up on this music. I look at that list and remember Mom's pizza and long car trips.

I have a recording of a much younger Bob Dylan singing Masters of War. A couple years ago, I saw him perform it live as part of the encore when he played Red Rocks. Dylan's sound has changed A LOT since that recording I have was made, but the song was the same. More of less. What struck me is that, while Masters of War is an angry song, the young man's rage that I heard in my recording has been replaced by an old man's wrath. Two sides of the same coin.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

axordil wrote:Folk songs have more lyrics than blues songs, as a rule, and lean towards story telling with emotional impact. The storytelling aspect of the blues is abbreviated in favor of said impact.
True, but at least one song on the list -- "Ashoken Farewell" -- has no lyrics at all (that I know of). It's an instrumental. You may remember it as the evocative fiddle piece that played during Ken Burns' PBS series on the Civil War. It's folk music, certainly, but I don't know that I'd classify it as a song.
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Very cool! 8)
Appears to me like the poll leaned toward the top 100 folk songs specifically by artists whom the audience perceived as folk performers, which may explain the absence of some overlapping genres. But it is a bit odd that a few bluegrass artists/songs made the cut, but no delta blues songs/artists did. Then again, Ohio is BIG Bluegrass country. I would lobby for Robert Johnson's "Crossroads", based on its impact on many fields of music, including folk, IMHO.

I wonder what specific guidelines, if any, were given to the listeners?
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Well, I would argue that to be genuinely "folk" music, a song should be traditional, usually of unknown provenance, passed down through the 'people.' The early Carter Family numbers are such songs. So also 'Goodnight Irene' (Leadbelly claimed to have written it, but that's disputed). On that scale much of the acoustic country blues repertoire counts, whereas the composed-for-a-purpose Music To Rouse Rabble By of Guthrie and his followers doesn't: it represents no genuine tradition or origin with the 'folk' at all (nor did its bourgeois listenership ever include many actual 'folk', who were too busy listening to Hank Williams and Johnny Cash).

I like an awful lot of the songs on the list: S&G, some (not all) Dylan, Fairport, on and on. Led Zep has been mentioned, but don't overlook the very folky side of Jethro Tull (aude Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses)- and Tull's rolling membership overlapped with Fairport quite a bit. At least the British folk-rock movement occasionally rendered actual traditional songs, like 'Gallows Pole' (as well as LZ's blues covers). But it's at most folk-influenced, not real folk music. I certainly won't buy an expansive definition that includes 'guy-with-acoustic-guitar' a la James Taylor; and much as I love Joni Mitchell her idiosyncratic chordal structures and oddball tunings are light-years away from anything traditional.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Lists such as this always betray the bias of the people who put it together. Where is Harry Chapin and all the great tunes he penned and sang during a great career? Sniper is one amazing song as is Mr. Tanner.

Songs I would have rated much higher - say in the Top Ten - would be Bridge Over Troubled Waters and Cohens staggering Hallelujah (although it is better when sung by most others).

While not in my Top Ten, I would have rated these higher also
Crucifixion
Times Are A Changin
Pancho and Lefty
Desolation Row - which along with Sad Eyed Lady are my two favorite Dylan songs

tinwë mentioned Cat Stevens..... Father & Son is a great song that should be on the list.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Appears to me like the poll leaned toward the top 100 folk songs specifically by artists whom the audience perceived as folk performers, which may explain the absence of some overlapping genres.
I suspect you're correct.
You may remember it as the evocative fiddle piece that played during Ken Burns' PBS series on the Civil War.
It still gives me shivers sometimes, depending on the recording. And you're correct, there's a place for pure instrumental in folk (as well as bluegrass, and blues).
much as I love Joni Mitchell her idiosyncratic chordal structures and oddball tunings are light-years away from anything traditional
I concur. But I can think of some performers (Stan Renbourn, Bert Jansch) that do some...interesting tunings, at least, that fall squarely into the folk camp, at least when they're not squarely in the blues camp. :D
Tull's rolling membership overlapped with Fairport quite a bit
Fairport, Pentangle, Steeleye Span, JT...yeah, there was a lot of overlap of performers, producers and such there.

I tend to think of British Isles folk as "trad" if the origins are pre-20th century. But that's mostly so I can distinguish it from the Guthrie/Seeger/Dylan line.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

WampusCat wrote:Led Zeppelin folk? :scratch:

My son would argue for some Grateful Dead songs, with good cause.

Wampus,

Rock music is Folk with faster louder drums. ;) But don't tell anyone that.

I half think that Around Midnight by Airborn Toxic Event is a folk song sometimes. But that's just me. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJi2z3tGKIg
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

that do some...interesting tunings, at least, that fall squarely into the folk camp
Well, DADGAD, drop-D, open-D and open-G are very traditional and suit pentatonic/modal trad (and slide blues) very well. But Joni gets a lot weirder than that.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

But Joni gets a lot weirder than that.
On several levels, yes. ;)
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

:rofl: :bow:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I've always thought of Joni Mitchell as closer to jazz than folk. Judy Collins is more of a folk performer and has recorded terrific versions of many traditional songs.

Steeleye Span did great versions of traditional songs. "Gaudete" is a particular favorite of mine.

sf, "Father and Son" would definitely be on my list. (Being reminded of all these great songs is making me regret not having an iPod!)

Lindréd, you're right about the impact of "Crossroads." Even my son knows that one ... it's liable to outlast many of these songs that have been passed down for generations.

Part of the problem with making a list like this is defining folk. Solicitr rejects the "guy-with-acoustic-guitar" definition, but where you have a guy (or gal) with an acoustic guitar, you'll often find folk songs -- and you'll definitely find folk influence.

No matter what's being played on radio, there are groups of people who still gather to keep these songs alive. Our local folk society has singing circles at all its functions. Many of these songs, new and old, are sung. But I can't say that I've ever heard anyone suggest Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi." :)