It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Sister's Keeper
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:57 pm 
chocolate bearer

I wrote this a year ago:
narya wrote:
Ah, just finished "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. I highly recommend it. I'm still sniffling from the ending. Premise of story: Parents have two kids, the younger one gets a particularly nasty form of leukemia at 2 years old, so they conceive third kid (with a little help from in vitro fertilization and testing) to get an almost perfect donor match. At 13, donor kid decides enough is enough. She's donated blood products and marrow several times to her frequently relapsing older sister. Now she puts her foot down at a kidney. What is the right thing to do? The story goes to a different character's point of view with each chapter, and does a great job of seeing the problem from all angles.

Now the movie is coming out:

http://movies.yahoo.com/summer-movies/m ... 1810003155

I highly recommend the book and would love to find someone to discuss it with. Otherwise, I'll wait until some of you see the movie in late June and discuss it then. This book has major plot twists, so please use white text for any spoilers.

And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.

~ Albert Camus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:22 pm 
bioalchemist

I read the book in an airport bookshop. It was pretty intense - a deeper, darker circle of h*** than the one my family passed through. In fact, it was intense enough I just had to put it out of my head. I saw the trailer a little while ago and I won't be watching the movie.

As far as the book goes, the ending had be a little nonplussed. There was no happy way for that story to end, of course, but of all the ways it could be ended, why that way?