Valkyrie

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Túrin Turambar

Valkyrie

Post by Túrin Turambar »

All issues with Tom Cruise aside (and I’ve found that I’ve never had trouble divorcing actors from characters) I found this film better than I expected. As a historical thriller, it did everything it needed to do. In point form:

1) yes, I know this has been out for ages. I'm not much of a moviegoer and usually wait for DVDs.

2) I was happy to see these events and characters get some airtime in a major movie. Not everyone went along with Nazism, and I believe that the German people in general and the German Armed Forces in particular deserve to have that publicised (and yes, it isn’t entirely accurate and it is entertainment but I’d wager most people believe the things they see in ‘historical’ films).

3) David Bamber, who played Mr. Collins in the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice, plays Adolf Hitler. I still can’t get my head around that and would never have recognised him if I hadn’t known, although you can just make out the similarities with his face and voice.

4) I’m also wondering if there isn’t a lot to be said for Mel Gibson’s approach of using the original language for his films. Any accents other than straight mid-Atlantic RP tend to stand out, and it always seems odd to me when foreign words are thrown around in English dialogue. To use one example, ‘Fuhrer’ is a staple in English-language films about the Third Reich, yet it can quite easily be rendered as ‘Leader’. I read a book once that did that, and it got the meaning and implications of the term over a lot better.

5) And finally, while I’m no lover of music, I have to say that the Ride of the Valkyries is awesome.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Mr. Collins, really? :shock:

I wasn't sure I'd put this on my list of movies to rent (or borrow from the library), but maybe I will now.

What do you mean exactly by #4? Is it in German with subtitles?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I too have been wondering whether this film was worth checking out. A thumbs up from Lord M certainly boosts its appeal.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Lalaith wrote:What do you mean exactly by #4? Is it in German with subtitles?
No, it's in English. I'm wondering whether it might not have been better had it been in German with subtitles.

And to add to my original list:

6) Bernard Hill gets the line “what would you have me do?”.

7) I suspect that our own countries have an Operation Valkyrie on the books somewhere – a plan for the military to seize control of government.

As I said before, I’d call this a solid film rather than a great one. But I still think it makes for a good re-telling of the events.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's one of those movies I'm only going to see once. It's worth watching, but it packs a punch that I don't need to take again. They came so close, and it all crumbled on a couple decisions...

It was also surprisingly thrilling for a story based on true events, whose outcome we already know.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

River wrote:It's one of those movies I'm only going to see once. It's worth watching, but it packs a punch that I don't need to take again. They came so close, and it all crumbled on a couple decisions...

It was also surprisingly thrilling for a story based on true events, whose outcome we already know.
Yes. I think knowing that the ending couldn't be anything but depressing might make it hard to really get involved in the film.

According to Wikipedia, changing any of a few minor factors would have let the plot succeed. For example, an officer kicked the briefcase and then moved it to the other side of the table leg so it wouldn’t be in his way. When the bomb went off, Hitler was shielded by the table leg. Had it been left where it was, he would have been killed. No wonder he thought that God had saved him.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I almost rented it on Saturday. I guess I'll check it out next time.

Bernard Hill, really?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow, the guy who was the Captain in the Titanic? Cool!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King