Wedding music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
River
bioalchemist

Wedding music

Post by River »

So I am fortunate enough to know some talented people IRL, not just here on the boards. My former viola teacher has agreed to play at my wedding. A guy I've been doing aikido with since childhood sings, and he's willing to sing at my wedding. He may or may not bring his SO in to do a duet. Which leaves me with picking music. T, the singer, specializes in ancient music but he can do whatever.

I DO NOT want the stereotypical wedding music. I will not have Wagner at my wedding, and while I have nothing against Mendhelsohn (I know I spelled that wrong), he's gotten cliched as well. Since there's no shortage of fine and talented people here, any suggestions? T and my former teacher may have some ideas of their own, but I'd like to have something of my own ot bring to the table.

cross-posted at B77
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I dunno- what goes good with "crash of surf"??
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Wait a sec..

I could have sworn I put this in the Cottage of Lost Play. You know, the music section of the board...

If I put it here, I meant to put it there.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Consider it moved. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Thanks!
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

River, do you already have a thread for your wedding here so that I don't ask redundant questions?

Is your wedding formal or casual? Is it inside or outside? Is it a large wedding or smallish? Is it a theme wedding or more traditional?

I had thought that if I married again, I would like celtic music playing, but not the Riverdance sort...more along the lines of New Age. It is pretty and calming and something like May It Be from Enya is moving and would go too.

Is there a certain type of music that both you and your intended fancy?

I would be tempted to have all Beatles music at a wedding, but of course that is pandering to my own taste. :D

When is the wedding?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

One month, four weeks and one day from now. According the to the ticker in River's sig.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

These are either contemporary or from Musicals.

One Hand One Heart (West Side Story)
All Good Gifts (Godspell)
The Prayer (Think Josh Groban, not Celine Dion)

I recently sang Come What May from Moulin Rouge for a Wedding also.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Thanks Voronwë, I suppose it pays to look at siggies. ;)

Good suggestions Alatar!! Esp. One Hand One Heart, love that.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I recently sang Come What May from Moulin Rouge for a Wedding also.
Great song. Wish it had been eligible for the Oscar that year. It's romantic enough for a wedding, certainly!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

rwhen wrote:River, do you already have a thread for your wedding here so that I don't ask redundant questions?

Is your wedding formal or casual? Is it inside or outside? Is it a large wedding or smallish? Is it a theme wedding or more traditional?

I had thought that if I married again, I would like celtic music playing, but not the Riverdance sort...more along the lines of New Age. It is pretty and calming and something like May It Be from Enya is moving and would go too.

Is there a certain type of music that both you and your intended fancy?

I would be tempted to have all Beatles music at a wedding, but of course that is pandering to my own taste. :D

When is the wedding?
No, actually, this is the first wedding related thread I've opened. It's outdoors, on a beach. I'm not expecting more than 30 people. There's no theme, but there will be squirt guns. The groom and my father are playing the I will if you will game with morning suits; the best man is threatening to wear something called a Texas tux. I have a maid of honor. No bridesmaids. No groomsmen. We're picnicing after the ceremony and then there will be a reception in my parents' backyard in the evening. The live music is for the ceremony (though I guess if my violist and singer want to perform in the evening, that's cool too). I'm not allowed to have amplification at the beach without many permits and much bureaucracy so eff that.

I'll look up those songs, Alatar!
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

River, thank you for your reply. And congrats to you and yours on your upcoming special day.

It sounds like your wedding is going to be lovely on the beach. Were you thinking of something in a classic wedding song sense? Here are a few more:

Love Is All Around - The Trogs
Unforgetable - Natalie Cole
You and I - Stevie Wonder
At Last - Etta James
I Do It For You - Bryan Adams

Just some that came to mind. For the reception at your parents, I would think uptone, lively music (with exception to the wedding dance) would be great.

I am sure that whatever you decide, it will come off wonderfully. I hope that you will keep filling us in on how it is going. Being a lady, I LOVE this stuff.

:love:
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Hi River,

I just played (with my sister and my niece and my kids) at my other sister's wedding -- on the beach. Four violins, a viola (me!), and a cello

Note that if the wind's blowing at the beach, your violist's sound won't carry very far, but if there are only 30 people there, they can huddle around and protect each other (and the sound) from the elements.

We played "Simple Gifts" (Tis a gift to be simple/Tis a gift to be free/Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be/ and when we find ourselves in the place just right/'twill be in the valley of love and delight./When true simplicity is gained,/To bow and to bend we will not be ashamed./To turn, turn, 'twill be our delight/till by turning, turning, we come round right.) at the ceremony, and then during cake-serving, we played that old wedding standby, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring."

And it was very nice. Of course, 4/6 of the performers were very cute -- all right, I'll include one of the adults, my sister -- 5/6! -- so that helped. Does your viola teacher look adorable with flowers in his/her hair? :)
Voronwë the Faithful

I would say conclusively that it was 6 out of 6!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Me, too, and the whole thing sounds wonderful.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

**tries to picture her teacher with flowers in her hair

It's not working...then again, I doubt she could picture me with flowers in my hair either.

Good grief. Just how many past and present violists do we have on this board again???
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

At least four that I know of, River. Which, considering the size of the board, is rather an extraordinary number; what other group this size would be likely to contain so many violists?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

A community orchestra? ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Actually, most community orchestras I've seen would be lucky to have two. ;)