The new Star Trek film

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'd say the same thing, eborr.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

And while I'm looking up a million and one banjo songs for yov, I thought I'd share this 'classic' here:

Star Trekkin'

and, I suppose... Knights of the Round Table and Jingle Bells are worth linking as well.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Staaaaaar treckiiiiin' across the univeeeeerse!!!
Woo! There's a blast from the past! Best song ever. Seriously. There is nothing at all better!
Why is the duck billed platypus?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Though I did like 'This Side of Paradise' for showing how useless Kirk was on his own - he always relies on his friends, and when they abandon him, he doesn't know what to do. What is a captain without his crew?
It works both ways, though. Kirk is the primum mobile who keeps the disparate parts working in concert and drives them forward. One might as well ask what a conductor is without an orchestra. :)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Oh, I know Kirk's skill is leadership. His decisiveness is essential, especially when he keeps getting disparate advice from Spock and Bones, especially, but also Scotty. He knows what needs to be done, and he has the ideas. But the execution - actually figuring things out - he relies on his crew to do that work, as he should. It was just a nice moment, to see him so vulnerable on an empty ship.

There are, of course, episodes where we see what the crew is like without him. Spock declares him dead and he and Bones fight alot in 'The Tholian Web', demonstrating that while the two of them are great backup to Kirk, they aren't exactly a great team on their own. Something similar happens when Spock assumes command in 'The Gallileo Seven'. Spock and Scotty butt heads in 'That Which Remains' while Kirk is off the ship.

There's a TNG episode where they get caught in a time loop, so they keep reliving a day over and over. The day always ends with the destruction of the Enterprise, at which point they loop back to do it again. When faced with the dilemma, Riker and Data offer different alternatives on how to deal with it. Picard chooses Data's suggestion, which fails. Apparently, Picard chose Data's idea over Riker's every time he was faced with that decision. Eventually, Data is able to send a message back to himself, and they follow Riker's suggestion and break out of the loop. I always found it very interesting that Picard was so consistent, and I always wondered what Riker thought about that when he found out he'd been overlooked so...consistently. But it also showed that Picard's leadership wasn't opperating on some kind of whim - whatever his process was, it always selected Data's idea in this scenario.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Well, let's see. There's reliably intelligent vs cute and clueless. I'd go for Data's advice over Riker's, too. :P
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Presumably after mastering jazz piano and buying that insurance policy Picard finally got to date Andie McDowell?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The three-disk Blu-Ray arrived today from Amazon, and I've been pigging out on the extras preparatory to watching the movie again tomorrow.

Favorite bit: Zach Quinto (new Spock) describing meeting Leonard Nimoy and his wife of many years for the first time just before going on stage with them at ComicCon, and Mrs. Nimoy's reaction to seeing him: "That is just so creepy!"

Actually the extras so far are delightful. LotR:EE they are not—but then, nothing but LotR:EE is.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ooh, did you get the one from Target where the DVDs are hidden in the saucer section of a Plastic model of the Enterprise!

Or maybe the Amazon Collectors Edition with Metal Enterprise Model?

Or possibly the Best Buy version with four badges from different Starfleet divisions (Command, Engineering, Science, and Medical) in solid metal?

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Cool! My son's birthday is today. I think he needs that one from Target. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Uh, I got the boring one that's $20 at Amazon. Doesn't say I wasn't tempted. . . . :D
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I called my husband to tell him that's what I wanted to get for our son, and he said, "Get two!" :rofl:
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Children of geeks have no chance in life, none at all.... ;)

I say this affectionately, of course. I have two friends with a one year old daughter; both parents are engineers and yes, quite geeky. To make matters worse, aunts and uncles are decidedly quirky as well. And even godparents (you know, the ones you get to pick) don't help the situation any. I'm godmother ;), and I spent the weekend making a Jedi costume for the godfather so he'll have something to wear with all the custom lightsabers he makes in his spare time. So....yeah. We've determined their daughter has no hope of being raised 'normal' (not that that's a goal to aim for, anyway).

Should be interesting if they decide to rebel, though!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If ou look around, after children of millionnaires, geeks have the best chance of becoming millionnaires. Children of geeks... sky's the limit. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No one will ever study this, but I suspect geeks are also happier people. They are, by my definition, people who feel free to pursue what interests them without concern for what "mainstream" society thinks. If they prefer SCA to golf, that's what they do. Mockery won't stop them.

Er, me.

Er, us. :twisted:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

No one will ever study this, but I suspect geeks are also happier people. They are, by my definition, people who feel free to pursue what interests them without concern for what "mainstream" society thinks.
Well, yes. But we also tend to be a lonelier bunch because of that.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Mithluin wrote:Should be interesting if they decide to rebel, though!
My youngest daughter did for the longest time. Her friends had no idea of the kind of TV shows she watched at home and the computer games she played with her siblings.

Once she found out how cool guys generally thought that her knowledge of things geek was, though, she quit hiding it quite so much. She's a non-geek, with a thorough understanding of the culture. Many "normal" guys actually appreciate this.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

yov wrote:
No one will ever study this, but I suspect geeks are also happier people. They are, by my definition, people who feel free to pursue what interests them without concern for what "mainstream" society thinks.
Well, yes. But we also tend to be a lonelier bunch because of that.
If only there were some medium of communication that geeks were better at than anyone else, and that would allow groups of them with common interests to talk to each other and get to know each other and maybe even decide to meet each other in real life sometimes, and maybe even become good friends or even, now and then, fall in love and get married. . . .

Nahhhh. It's a pipe dream.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Pipes! A bunch of pipes!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A tube dream.
=:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!