The new Star Trek film

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The Internet being, after all, a series of tubes.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No. That's the Enterprise.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Primula Baggins wrote:The Internet being, after all, a series of tubes.
http://xkcd.com/494/
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:rotfl:

It's worth it. All 5 parts.
[From the confirmation hearing:]This is the worst history of vandalism, gleeful mayhem, and general recalcitrance we've seen in a nominee since Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

I think "I plead the Third!" is going to be my new motto. :rotfl:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What, you don't like housing foreign troops? Communist.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:rofl: I needed that!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl:

Al Gore was the natural choice after all.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I watched the DVD twice this weekend. :D

I really love this film. :love:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I do, too. I know not every longtime Star Trek fan feels this way, but for me it's revived my love for the whole Star Trek universe. It was getting so drab and closed-in, and now it's wide open and fun again. I can't wait for more movies. I know I'll be at the next one the day it opens if I possibly can, just as I was for the LotR films.

One thing I never have loved about the ST universe was the "reset button," which too many of the shows used too often. I never guessed that what would renew the whole thing for me was the biggest reset button ever. :P
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

So I just watched it and it was sorta fun. Plot holes galore, really huge ginormous plot holes and illogical silly jumps in . . . logic . . . but fun. Sorta.

No. I guess I didn't like it, except for the young Spock. The rest were just generic cuties.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

vison, that was largely my reaction too! It's nice to agree with you about one of these things!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You didn't like Karl Urban's McCoy? I'm really surprised.
Voronwë the Faithful

I did. I was pretty amazed at the job that he did at capturing the character. And I wouldn't go as far as vison to say that I didn't like it. But overall I thought it was sorta fun but nothing that special, and the plotholes and the convenient way that the cast of characters were brought together I found quite unimpressive. It certainly didn't move me the way the original series did when I was young, or even the way The Wrath of Khan did. And I really didn't like the actor that played Kirk at all (and I was always more of fan of Kirk's than of Spock).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't know, I found Chekov rather endearing. Except for the accent. Have I ranted about Chekov's accent here yet? :whistle:

On the other hand, his use of a nice little Russian expletive made my movie.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't know how authentic his accent was (in the extras he speaks unaccented American English), but at least the kid actually speaks Russian at home with his parents. (He was 18 when it was filmed.)

And, in the extras, he commented wryly on some of the "fake" aspects of the accent as sort of a tribute to the original Chekov's performance (Walter Koenig spoke no Russian and got his idea of the accent from 1960s American spy movies). So it might have sounded more authentic if he hadn't had to do that.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, original Chekov's fake accent was even more painful. :blackeye: The new kid clearly was a Russian-speaker, but his accent was that of someone who learned English from the books and never actually heard it spoken. I kan tok like zet but it meiks my eerrs bleed. And he supposedly went tbrough the academy.

I readily admit that this is a minor issue. If you are not the one with bleeding ears. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You have every right to the bleeding ears. I'm sure it's much easier not to know what's right, especially for Russian accents (how do you handle James Bond movies? Or Cold War submarine thrillers, yiiii?).

The original Star Trek was a product of the Cold War, too, now that I think about it. Chekov was one of Gene Roddenberry's icons of hope: look, there's a Russian on the Enterprise! We all survived the Cold War and we're friends now! Kum ba yah. . . .

And, he looks just like one of the Monkees (or they tried anyway), bringing in that all-important adolescent girl demographic. (Here they missed something; we were all already on board the Enterprise, gazing longingly at Spock.)

Though, really, other TV shows of the time didn't even try.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Submarine thrillers? Oh, the Red October was one of the funniest movies ever. :D

I am sure I have said this before, but StarTrek verse is exactly what they had told us in school Communism would be like.

And a very fun show. :)

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Now I'm laffing. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Lord_M and I were trying to figure out who Karl Urban played. :rofl: He didn't look much like Éomer!!!!

He was good really. I commented while watching that McCoy was good - forgot that in my post above.

I would have enjoyed it more had I seen it in a theatre, I'm sure.

But parts of it really did put me in mind of Galaxy Quest, especially the scenes of Scotty in the water pipes!
Dig deeper.