Re-starting an old hobby: Tips on reading music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Re-starting an old hobby: Tips on reading music

Post by Hachimitsu »

So after procrastination and excuses on playing my violin, my old violin teacher has convinced me to play for this reunion he is doing. He wants me to play viola which I used to do in the past. The thing is, the viola exclusively uses the alto clef, which umm.. I forgot how to read :roll: :oops: . Anyone know of any good sayings to remember the notes? I still remember the ones for treble and bass clef (like every good boy deserves fudge, etc..), but for the alto clef I am at a loss.
I am trying to remember the viola fingerings and matching them with notes and I am bit confused as to what is sharp and what is flat but I think it will come back to me eventually. I have printed wikipedia articles and it has helped me remember the extreme basics but that is about it. I think I am going to ask my teacher if I can get him on Skype and he can listen and see how I am doing.

I just realized I need some scales. :doh1: Anyone know a good site on scales? It sort of gets my mind set for when I play a piece. :help: I just tried tuning the viola and it sounds a bit abysmal (tuning was always my greatest weakness)

I should point out the reason I am doing the reunion is because I want to get playing again but I have realized I either need a teacher or an orchestra so I always get new music to work on, because me on my own... not so much.
:help:

*crossposted on B77*
BTW my Skype name is ladyscaper if anyone wants to look me up. (or listen to my abysmal tuning an give some advice.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Just remember the middle line of the scale is middle C, or an octave above the viola's bottom string (third finger on the G string). So the lines on the clef, bottom to top, are FACEG. I don't remember a mnemonic, because I was a teen when I switched from violin, but you could make one up, I'm sure.

It is so great that you're taking this up again. I'd really love to.

I miss the viola. Mine is broken. Her tailpiece came off, and when I've had time to think about fixing her I have not had the money. And vice versa. The freelance life: money in inverse proportion to the free time to spend it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King