My New Guitar

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

My New Guitar

Post by Alatar »

So, for my birthday yesterday, my wife bought me a guitar. I already have a few guitars, including a lovely Ovation 12 String, but I've never owned a real "quality" 6 String guitar. Since she wanted it to be a surprise, obviously she couldn't take me shopping for it, so she asked a good friend of ours who really knows guitars to do the legwork.

Well, I knew this much yesterday. That I was getting a guitar and that Don had picked it out for me. Knowing his taste in guitars I knew it would be good. I looked at the case initially and saw that it was an "Ashton", which I'd never heard of, but again, knowing Don I just trusted it'd be good. The guitar itself was very "plain" as in no frills, but when I picked it up and strummed it, the tone and brightness took my breath away. Then my nephew pointed out, "Look it has your name on it". I did a complete double-take. It hadn't occurred to me that the guitar case was a different make to the guitar. They had bought me a Martin guitar.

Its hard to really describe how that made me feel. As a kid growing up, a Martin guitar was about as unlikely and as unobtainable as an Porche, or a Rolls Royce, or more aptly an Aston Martin. Along with Guild, Martin Guitars were the ultimate. Modern guitars like the Cort and the Takamine are probably their equal at the top end but there's something about a Martin thats indefinable. Its like owning a work of art.

For the guitarists who may be interested:

The DX1R is described here:
Martin's DX1R No Frills, No Compromise Dreadnought!The Martin DX1R, one of Martin's most affordable instruments, is a 14-fret dreadnought steeped in everything that has made Martin guitars so well respected among fans of acoustic guitars - superior craftsmanship and fine, natural tone. The top is made of solid spruce with sides and back of durable Indian rosewood grained high-pressure laminate. The fretboard is of black micarta with side dots only, black micarta bridge, chrome enclosed gears, and the whole instrument features a satin finish.
Mine is similar, but with the added bonus of a Fishman pickup, making it the DX1RE.

But all of this really tells you nothing about the guitar. The tone, the warmth and brightness are impossible to describe. The action is better than any guitar I've ever played, even far more expensive models. (I should also explain that these cost a LOT more over here than in the US).

I love my wife. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:love:

(I look forward to hearing it some day.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wow, Alatar! That's fantastic. You do indeed have a wonderful wife!

My dad has a Martin he lucked into when he was 18—it was in poor shape, so he got it practically free, then found out what he had when he took it to be repaired. He can no longer play it because years of glucose monitoring (he's diabetic) have made his fingertips too sensitive to pressure. And none of his kids or grandkids play the guitar. I feel a little sad thinking about that guitar—I hope he knows someone who would use it and appreciate it when he's gone.

I've even considered taking lessons. But I've tried out the guitar different times over the years, and I think it's too big for a woman's hands. Better it goes to someone who will treasure and use it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Wow, :music: :woohoo:
Lucky you. Congratulations.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

What a lovely gift!

I know nothing whatsoever about guitars, Alatar, but I know when a guy is thrilled with one!!

Enjoy it.

btw, I hear you made a deal on the calendar?
Dig deeper.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah! I think he's doing better out of it frankly, but thats the nature of trade! He's getting a Trilogy Tuesday Polystone Film Frame Collectible for a Calendar.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Congratulations, Alatar! Martin guitars are incredible. Gary wanted one for the longest time and finally found a used one. I thought he'd been overstating the difference in tone, but he wasn't. It sounded so much better than any other guitar he'd played. It's an HD-35 from 1979.

Later, Gary convinced me that Brendan needed a decent guitar -- which to him meant a Martin. So one of his last gifts to his son was a 2005 Martin 000-28 Eric Clapton model.

They both sound great, and I'm sure yours does too.

And I have a Fishman pickup in my harp. :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's great, Alatar! :) Your wife gets major points for this one! What a lovely, thoughtful gift.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

By the way, happy birthday! May you find joy in every year.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks guys!
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I don't know much about guitars (string instruments hate me and I can't play them), but you seem pretty happy with this one. Is it steel or nylon stringed? (I know that makes a huge difference...)

Oh, and happy birthday! :)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oh its steel string. I have a nylon strung as well, but all my other guitars are steel strung. Nylon is only for classical music really.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Good on you! There are guitars, and then there are Martins. Martin effectively invented the steel-string guitar as we know it. And the tradition! Jimmy Rogers, Hank Williams, Lester Flatt, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Paul McCartney (yes, Blackbird was recorded on a D-28), Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Joan Baez, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, on and on and on and on.

A company which has been in the same family in the same little town for 180 years- perhaps not so remarkable in Europe, but astonishing in the USA.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

You're a lucky man, Al. :) I'm talking about your wife, btw, not the guitar. :D

What a wonderful, thoughtful gift! I don't know anything about guitars either, so the name and specifications don't mean anything to me - but I can tell you're thrilled by it. Congratulations.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Post by Angbasdil »

A Martin dreadnought? I'm officially jealous.
We wants one preciousssss... :D
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Wow, that is lovely. How the look on your wife's face once you realized what type of guitar it was?
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Post by Angbasdil »

So it's been over a week and you haven't posted any pictures of it.

just sayin'
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, its very unimpressive to look at. Its when you hold it...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

So it's been over a week and you haven't posted any sound clips of you playing it yet?

just sayin'
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Hey Alatar, I just came across this thread, and as one who has had and loved a number of guitars (and used them to make my living!) I just wanted to say that I've never ended up with one in such a special, meaningful way! What a gift! I've never been very materialistic about "things", but guitars are different somehow. It's almost like they're alive. When we're lucky a sort of symbiosis between player and instrument can occur......

So, how's it going with the new Martin???
Playing it every day??
Care to post a photo of it?
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT