My New Guitar

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Oh I definitely think there can be relationships with guitars in a sense.
I've never been fortunate enough to be able to say that for myself, but the little while that I played a guitar gave me a peek into that world and I can see a bond of sorts forming between a player and his "ax" so to speak. :)

Talkin to myself again
Wondering if this travelin is good
Is there something better wed be doing if we could
And oh the stories we could tell
And if this all blows up and goes to hell
I can still see us sittin on the bed in some motel
Listenin to the stories we could tell

Remember that guitar in a museum in tennessee
And the nameplate on the glass brought back twenty melodies
And the scratches on the face
Told of all the times he fell
Singin every story he could tell
And oh the stories it could tell
And I bet you it still rings like a bell
And I wish we could sit back on the bed in some motel
And listen to the stories we could tell

So if youre on the road tracking down here every night
And youre singin for a livin neath the brightly colored lights
And if you ever wonder why you ride this carousel
You did it for the stories you could tell
And oh the stories we could tell
And if this all blows up and goes to hell
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks Lindréd, I'm playing quite a bit these days. We're doing a lot of new material in the Church Folk Group (Thanks again, Lali) and because of the style of music, which is mostly American Christian Worship stuff, there's a lot of open chording up the fretboard and a lot of unusual chords the add bass patterns so I'm really enjoying that. Its stretching me quite a bit as a guitarist who rarely went above the 3rd fret unless I had to. Now I'm playing whole songs without a traditional chord in them. Add to that, the action on the Martin is superb, and the tone is so vibrant that I'm sounding better than I ever did before.

I also have another guitar thats taking up some of my time, as some of my other friends clubbed together to get me an electric guitar. Again, its a beautiful instrument. Its a Brian May "Red Special" that was retooled for use in the Musical "We Will Rock You" so the machine heads and pickups were upgraded, long with the tremolo block. Its a really unusual instrument in many ways. Each of the three pickups are wired in series, and each pickup has its own on/off switch and in/out of phase switch, which really gives it a lot of variety. Also its a 24 fret neck, with the body meeting the neck at about the 21st fret. Of course the real piece de resistance is that the guitar was signed by Brian May personally. This is a pretty big deal for me as a longtime Queen fan, and also the fact that this guitar was used professionally in the pit band for WWRY adds a lot of character. Once again, this was organised for me by my wonderful wife, who really knows how to make a guy feel special!

I do have a photo of this one!
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nY ... directlink
Last edited by Alatar on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Hmmmm. the photo didn't show up (just a question mark symbol)

But anyway....WOW! the Brian May guitar sounds like a true collector's item! Try posting the photo again, I'd really like to see it....I am in awe of your wife :bow:

The Martin sounds like a really good match for you! One of the best things about getting a new instrument is that they inspire us to play more, stretch out and move up to the next level (at least that's the excuse I've always used :D)

(btw, speaking of Brian May I've been recently working up a folky/bluegrassy version of "'39" with my current band, which includes my kids -I've always loved that song!)
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've edited to a link now. Should work.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The picture was working fine for me before. Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work. Ya can't win for trying!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Yes, and.....
Oooooooooo! Wow! It's a beauty!
Wish I could hear it!
And your smile says it all!!
(I'm sure it has nothing to do with what's on the table!! :D)
What sort of amp are you using with it?
The Brian May model by Vox by any chance????
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I have the blueprints for the whammy unit Brian and his dad designed from scratch- a great, great design, far more stable than a Strat and not a maintenance nightmare like a Floyd. The springs are motorcycle valve springs!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm using a pretty basic Behringer Amp, but I did treat myself to the Red Special Pedal from Digitech which pretty accurately reproduces the Deacy and Vox setup Brian used. (Damn pedal cost almost as much as a guitar!)