It's "A" day

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

It's "A" day

Post by vison »

So, if yaz listen to CBC radio whilst driving yer truck to get livestock feed, ya larn lots.

I learned, for example, that today is "A" day.
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

A-440. The pitch that is forever branded in my memory.

Laaaaaaaaaaa............
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And didn't it drive you nuts that bands tune to B-flat?

Whereas from vison's link it sounds as if Europe was flat for centuries.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I never understood what those crazy winds were doing, to tell you the truth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mostly dumping spit on the floor, eyewww.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

For wind players everywhere, especially my fellow horn players ;)

http://www.pjsmusicservices.co.uk/prod5 ... &offset=24
Last edited by Elentári on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Brilliant idea!

I knew it was condensation (my brother played the horn for a while), but it does "seem" like spit to us wussy string players.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Waits for Lali to come in with her clarinet and b-flat you all.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Primula Baggins wrote:Brilliant idea!

I knew it was condensation (my brother played the horn for a while), but it does "seem" like spit to us wussy string players.
I always picked up my skirt just in case.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

It makes sense for most brass instruments to use Bb, but that's actually flat on most horns, in context with the rest of the instrument, so it REALLY drives me mad when we have to tune to Bb, as the rest of the instrument is then sharp. :x
Why is the duck billed platypus?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

See, this is a useful exercise for me. I have no clue whatsoever what the bloody blazes you guyz are on about.

I hope you're happy.

You've confused and upset a silly old lady.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, vison, vison, vison. You opened the "musician geek" can of worms. You should not have done it so lightly. :nono:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

A-440 is the tuning pitch for instruments in the key of C (all strings, pianos, and some winds). Anyone whose played such instruments, or been in an orchestra, has had A-440 branded into their ear drums. The oboe hands it to the concert master who gives it to the strings. Really, everyone should be tuned before they get on stage but it's good to check. Especially if someone has a new set of strings or something.

Laaaaaaaaaa...........
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Plus backstage areas are often unheated, so instruments shrink on the way from the practice room to the stage, where they heat up and expand again under the lights. The flexing makes them lose their tuning.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So on occasion the youth orchestra was part of would play in Meany Hall on the UW campus. Fine. But our Green Room was in Kane Hall, across Red Square. So we'd have to hump our tuned instruments outside, across a couple dozen yards of brick, and back into a new building. We didn't like it. We were concerned about our instruments. The youth orchestra season coincided with the school year and the school year coincided with the 3/4 of the year Seattle is grey and dripping.

Those of us who could bundled our preciouses under our coats or kept a wrap around them. The cellists and the bassists were pretty screwed, though they typically solved their problems by putting their coats directly on their instruments. But oh, how we hated playing in Meany just for that reason.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Recently, the Irish Youth Orchestra have stopped tuning in practice rooms and just tuned on stage. It makes far more sense...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

vison wrote:See, this is a useful exercise for me. I have no clue whatsoever what the bloody blazes you guyz are on about.
Ah, good, I'm not alone! :hug: *clings to vison*
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:
vison wrote:See, this is a useful exercise for me. I have no clue whatsoever what the bloody blazes you guyz are on about.
Ah, good, I'm not alone! :hug: *clings to vison*
*clings to vison and frelga*
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*bellyflops the gal's dogpile*
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Great now the treble clef and reeds are all mixed up.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.