Narnia gets another opportunity on screen

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
sauronsfinger

Narnia gets another opportunity on screen

Post by sauronsfinger »

Recently, Disney dropped plans to make a third Narnia film. Now it has been taken over by another studio:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... id=13&cs=1
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm please they're keeping the cast, even if the budget is lower.

Oh, and Eragon did poorly cause it was CRAP!!! When will the suits learn that its a good idea to try not to completely alienate the fanbase....
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

"Dawn Treader" is considered to be a more family film-friendly book, and the goal is to get back to the magical aspects present in the first "Narnia" pic but mostly absent from "Prince Caspian."
Definitely good news - I know PC was more 'grown-up' but I missed the magic!

And I'm glad we're going to see more of Ben Barnes - very pleasing to the eye! :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Thanks for sharing that. I didn't even realize Disney had dropped the Narnia films. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was one of my favorite books of the series, so I hope the movie turns out well. :)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I also love Dawn-Treader the best. :) My sister missed the 'Narnia is a magical land' element from the first movie, which she saw as full of wonder. In Prince Caspian, it was much grittier, down-to-business, fighting and politics. Not that there weren't moments of magic in it, but certainly not the 'discovery of a new land.' Since the third one is all about a Voyage, there is plenty of opportunity for wonder and discovery...that, and Eustace will be new to Narnia, even if the others are old hat. Of course...Eustace's take on it might be...less than filled with wonder ;).

It figures Disney would have dropped it after the box-office didn't do what they wanted it to with Prince Caspian; I'm glad the series didn't go under, though, and they're keeping the cast. Lucy looks just like my sister (yes, she's in her 20s; don't ask me how she can still look like a little girl...)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:Oh, and Eragon did poorly cause it was CRAP!!! When will the suits learn that its a good idea to try not to completely alienate the fanbase....
Well, to be fair, the Eragon book is not that great, either. :P

The best thing about Dawn Treader is Ben Barnes.

I'm not a fan of Narnia books, but the movies were fun. Daw Treader doesn't have much of a story, as I remember, just a chain of little adventures along the way. And I really wonder what they will make of the ending. As many Aslan scenes in the books, it only makes sense as a Christian allegory, and the movies so far did not put much focus on that.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Frelga wrote:
Alatar wrote:Oh, and Eragon did poorly cause it was CRAP!!! When will the suits learn that its a good idea to try not to completely alienate the fanbase....
True, but it had the potential to make a great movie. The book is actually very filmable and its lack of complexity should have made it a no-brainer to adapt.

Instead we got the "attacking from the tail" rubbish...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Yeah, I think Dawn Treader has some great potential. Lots of little adventures, but most aren't important enough that they can't be cut if they want to focus on the others. Eustace turning into a dragon, the pool with golden "statues" in it, and just them sailing in general should all be fun scenes.

I don't actually remember how the book ends. :blackeye: I guess it's something to do with Aslan? :P
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

AH, Dawn Treader is my favourite too! I hope it's well done.

Rebecca, as I recall, Aslan doesn't really turn up in this one much, except when Eustace is a dragon.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Remember that Narnia is a flat world....

So, they sail until 'the water runs sweet' and they all have an intense spiritual experience, and then Reepicheep gets in his little boat and sails off the edge of the world. Caspian wants to, too, but a private 'conversation' with Aslan reminds him he has to go home and rule a kingdom. Lucy, Edmund and Eustace are instructed to stay, and upon wandering about on an island or something, they meet a lamb, who turns into Aslan, and sends them home. Lucy and Edmund are dismayed to learn they will never be coming back to Narnia, but Aslan informs them that he is in their world, too, just under a different name....

Then they go home.

Aslan takes care of dragon-Eustace, but he also appears when Lucy reads the spell in the book that makes invisible things visible, on the island with the Dufflepuds.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I always wept with delight when Reepicheep got in his little boat. It was so much like Frodo departing to the West. Sad and joyful and adventurous, all at the same time.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:
Frelga wrote:
True, but it had the potential to make a great movie.
Oh, you mean Star Wars? :P

OK, sorry, back to Narnia.

Oh yes, wasn't there a nice adventure with pirates, or slavers, or something? That should work well in the movie, give Barnes a chance to look bold and defiant.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Yes, they are all captured by slave-traders and have to escape. Obviously, they don't believe Caspian when he claims to be king of Narnia ;). Eustace demands to see the British consulate or something, I think, which just convinces everyone he is insane.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

MithLuin wrote:Yes, they are all captured by slave-traders and have to escape. Obviously, they don't believe Caspian when he claims to be king of Narnia ;). Eustace demands to see the British consulate or something, I think, which just convinces everyone he is insane.
:rofl:

I love Eustace! :D

Well, this is good news. :) Let's hope they can work a little miracle with the reduced budget and create a good fantasy film that does justice to the original.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Frelga wrote:
And I really wonder what they will make of the ending. As many Aslan scenes in the books, it only makes sense as a Christian allegory, and the movies so far did not put much focus on that.
Good point, Frelga. In the BBC adaptations from the mid-80s, starring Sam West, they were completely faithful to the book, but the new film will surely shy away from such a fanciful, symbolic ending.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

But the ending is so beautiful! :(

I must read those books again. I've been told I should read them in the order they were written...
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I've been told I should read them in the order they were written...
Absolutely: the way in which everybody before the present young generation got to know them. Reading Magician's Nephew first makes little sense: it's a prequel, intended to be read as a "so that's how things came to be."

Rather like the upcoming Star Trek movie: no point to it if we didn't already know Kirk/Spock/McCoy via Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm desperately hoping that new Star Trek movie is good. It's been so long since I truly enjoyed any new Star Trek anything.

And this is good news about Dawn Treader, which is my favorite of the Narnia books. I'm hopeful; as I recall there are no battle scenes, and filmmakers always overdo those when they can.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:And this is good news about Dawn Treader, which is my favorite of the Narnia books. I'm hopeful; as I recall there are no battle scenes, and filmmakers always overdo those when they can.
I like battle scenes. As long as they have some non-humans in them. Don't like human battle-scenes.
:P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

The battle scenes in LWW were good.

The battle scenes in PC were appalling.