Slumdog Millionaire - Oscar's Best Picture

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Slumdog Millionaire - Oscar's Best Picture

Post by Lurker »

I had the opportunity to watch it during a special screening. All I can say is, I love it! I love it!

My god, this one of the best movies I ever seen. No wonder it won the People's Choice Award during the Toronto International Film Festival.

It's about this poor, uneducated guy who joined Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? (India) trying to win 20 Million Rupees. He was able to answer the questions eventhough he uneducated because it has a sort of connection to his life. Who would have thought George Washington or the inventor of the revolver will have a huge impact in his life.

Man, the art direction and cinematography were superb. I like the way they blended the harsh way of life in India to the story without it being the "ultimate" focus of the story. Most of the time I watch this independent film I go, yeah, I know they are poor in that part of the country, tell me something else, man! Here, it's like you forget that they live in a slum, just for a minute and think about how the little boys weaving in and out of the slums to get away from the big bad policemen was what it was like being a kid whose been naughty. Makes me think, it's not too bad if you live in the slums because you still get to have fun. Boys will be boys anywhere. There were other scenes that will really touch your heart and that you will say how lucky I am living where I am right now where there is freedom and not seeing children "working" for their meal. I don't want to give away much of the story line. This is a must see movie!!!

This is in English btw a few subtitles when the boys were young but the way they blend in the subtitles it was really artistic, not just words beneath the screen.
Last edited by Lurker on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

:hooray: :clap: :horse: :woohoo:

My fave movie so far won best picture in the Golden Globe Awards!!!

-Best Original Score
-Best Director

Bollywood has just proven they can compete with Hollywood. Way to go!
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I didn't know this thread existed. Was planning to start my own Slumdog Millionaire thread. ;)

I finally saw it around 10 days ago, after a couple of delayed plans, and shocked looks from people here that I haven't seen it. Slumdog has really taken New York by storm. :)

I liked the movie, though parts of it really threw me down into murky depths. Whenever I see such movies about India I suffer existential angst. What am I doing with my life? Why am I not making a difference? Etc. One scene, in particular, is burnt into my brain.

However, it is a wonderfully made movie. As you said, parts of it are actually fun, and funny. :)

By the way, it is NOT a Bollywood movie. So....
;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, Best Picture. And seven other awards.

Awesome.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Mahima wrote: One scene, in particular, is burnt into my brain.
:)
Yes indeed! The one where the kid fell in a pile of pooh! :help:
You know it spoiled our dinner plans for the night. I think I lost a few pounds after that. Seriously. .......... :rofl:

Jai Ho! :banana:

I already bought the book, waiting for the DVD.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Man, the art direction and cinematography were superb

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Anthony Dod Mantle

I got one right!!! :D

Mahima,
I just realized it wasn`t a Bollywood movie until I saw who directed and produced it. :oops:

At least I know who Deepak Metha is. :) Somebody gave me an authographed shirt by Deepak Metha and everybody was asking who she is......okay..... :help:
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Not bad for a film that was supposed to go directly to DVD. ;)

Very glad it didn't.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lurker wrote:Mahima,
I just realized it wasn`t a Bollywood movie until I saw who directed and produced it. :oops:
Well, Lurker, it might not be a Bollywood film, but India is definitely celebrating it as if it is. It was great to see so many Indian faces on the Oscar podium. And A.R. Rahman winning two oscars is amazing. He is, of course, very popular in India. Not just commercially, but also artistically.
At least I know who Deepak Metha is. :) Somebody gave me an authographed shirt by Deepak Metha and everybody was asking who she is......okay..... :help:
I think you mean Deepa Mehta. Not Deepak. Deepak, for Indians would be the name of a man... :)
But yes, I agree, she makes some great movies.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I definitely want to see this now.

Pssst, Mahima. . . . "Niraj." "Satvinder." I am working with people in India by email and am now wondering if I might put my foot in it sometime by continuing to assume they are both men. I know some Indian first names, but not enough.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Prim, its definitely worth a watch. But I think you might find the hoopla a bit much. Plus, there is this whole thing about the movie being "uplifting", and well - I didn't really find it "uplifting". What about you, Lurker?

Niraj is definitely a man. Satvinder... umm... I don't know. :oops: Its a Sikh name and I have come across both me and women names Satvinder. Sorry!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No, that's great, Mahima. You may have saved me from embarrassing myself, and I'm going to be working on this project for at least two more months. I'll just remain noncommittal. :P

It often does seem that Oscar hype overdoes it—there's a number of Best Pictures I didn't like and some I can't stand. But given that people here and in RL whose judgment I trust have recommended Slumdog, I certainly want to see it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Why don't you just ask them?

I'm looking forward to seeing this, when it comes out on DVD (which is how I see virtually all the movies that I see).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Because I've been working with Satvinder for well over a month. . . . Anyway, it is unlikely to be an issue, as it's only the two of us emailing, so those pesky third-person pronouns won't come up. And we're pretty much all business. That office works U.S. East Coast hours and they're in Delhi, which is 10.5 hours ahead of the East Coast. Very tiring, I would imagine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

M and I saw it about 6 weeks ago and it is one of the better films I've ever seen, in terms of the way the story unfolds, the honesty of the characters and the extraordinary cinematography! In fact, Vinnie, it's worth seeing on the big screen for the cinematography alone! Really, really fabulous!

and there are some scenes seared on my retina also: the chase through the slum; the child in the rain; the cityscapes; others which would be spoilers so I'll refrain.

I am going to try to coax my daughter to come see it with me on the weekend - I think it's a film she must see.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I saw it last night and really liked it. :)

I don't think it's a masterpiece. For me the standout film so far this year is The Reader, which I thought exceptional.

But I'm delighted it's done so well.

Great cinematography, great acting (esp. from the kids). Yes. :)

And I liked it a lot more than Danny Boyle's other films. :D Trainspotting is awesome but traumatic, and 28 Days Later is :help:

I love the soundtrack.

Jai Ho!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Loved it!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I just saw it yesterday... my friend took me out to see a movie for my birthday. I think she really wanted to see "He's just not that into you", which may be a fine movie, but I really get itchy with chick flicks sometimes. Since it was my birthday, I got the final call. :)

I wasn't sure I was going to like this movie until about 3/4 of the way through. I kept thinking: I can't believe what people do to each other! I can't believe what people do to children! And I kept covering my face. I'm not a big fan of watching violence-- I tend to not be able to forget it, and I get flashbacks. A lot.

The ending surprised me. It really did! I thought it would have been more artistically pleasing to go another way... but I'm glad it ended as it did.

The casting was superb. The cinematography was first rate. The characters were amazing.

I felt sorry for Salim. :(
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”