Mad Men

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Mad Men

Post by Lurker »

I miss the show already. :cry:
I have to wait 9 months for the new season. :x

I guess I love this show so much because it reminded me of the years I worked for an advertising firm (creative). Having read books and articles of how Satchi and Satchi started, Ogilvy or BBDO, the later was mentioned I think as their competion. I can watch the show over and over again.

Anyways, it made me think back of how it was like in the 50's and 60's when it wasn't politically correct.

I already bought the First Season DVD looking forward to the 2nd.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Not politically correct" is putting it mildly. :P

I've seen some of the show—haven't had time to watch it regularly but one of my sons loves it. One strong impression I got from it was that I'm glad to be a grown woman now, not then.

It really is good. But it's also an accurate portrayal of what was not a very good time for a lot of people—at least if you weren't a white male advertising executive at the top of his game. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King