APPALOOSA - really good!!!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
sauronsfinger

APPALOOSA - really good!!!

Post by sauronsfinger »

Saw the new film APPALOOSA this afternoon and felt it was very good. I would give it 8 out of 10. If anyone here saw the 2003 western OPEN RANGE with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall and you liked it - then you should love this film.

Our own Aragorn - Viggo Mortensen - is one of the stars along with Ed Harris and Renee Zellweger. I must say that Zellweger steals the film with one of the most complex portrayals of a western womans character that has been on the screen in a long time. Your heart really goes out to her and her life. There is nothing cliche or simple about her and that is a bold departure from too many women in westerns over the years.

Harris directs the films and does a very good job. His previous effort was POLLOCK and this is a wonderful sophmore effort. Mortensen does his usual soft spoken character where actions are a whole lot more important that words or attitude and he is great at it.

Its really a very good film.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Folca

Post by Folca »

Never heard of it, I guess I should look into it. I loved Open Range. Thanks.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I tried to like this movie since Viggo is in it, it had a pretty good story and plot. But it dragged so many times that I had to be woken up twice while I was watching it at a friends house this weekend. He was kind enough to rewind it, but it put me to sleep.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I might take a look because of Viggo - I really liked Hidalgo - and Zellweger is a fine actress :)

Wonder if he bought any of the horses this time ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I know he owns quite a few of his own.

As I said I really wanted to like this movie, really did. Zellweger was made up weird...But I love both Ed Harris and Viggo and was hoping I would like it.

But instead I fell asleep and my friend Carl had to wake me up a twice. :oops: We rewatched the parts I missed so I got to see the whole thing, but I fell asleep, then woke up, we rewatched it. Then I fell asleep again, and we rewatched it, again. :oops: I don't think I have ever done that watching a movie before.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.