Classical music fans?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Oh, yes. I've heard of that at convenience stores and such places. Wonderful idea.

But somebody will eventually present the practice as unconstitutional due to its insensitivity to the cultures of certain ethnic, educational and age groups who find such music offensive and culturally threatening.

Sort of like the case in which a father could not fly the Jolly Roger outdoors at his son's pirate birthday party because there were people who found it intimidating and likely to promote violence.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Talk Like a Pirate Day is a week from tomorrow.

Just saying.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Those young classical toughs are scary. They flash switchblades while leaping about to Leonard Bernstein.

I've seen West Side Story.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Where's nel?

She starts a thread, then leaves as soon as we get deep into the discussion.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

She's just so irresponsible.

Kids today. :x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Primula Baggins wrote:She's just so irresponsible.

Kids today. :x
It's the fault of that damn classical music, I tell ya!

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I really really need to get Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings off my playlist. I don't know why I even have it. It goes on forever. Even when I'm on the other side of the music stand, it goes on forever.

Okay, it's gone.

*phew*

Nine minutes of nothing, off into the ether.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Reproduced from my Blog:

1st Oct 2008, Rahul's Birthday

I decided to give Rahul a gift in which we "do stuff", and complying with his recent desire - I got us tickets to the NY Philharmonic. For me, it was an introduction to Western classical... and what an introduction. If attending a Live NY Philharmonic concert will not get you to like Western classical music, nothing will.

Luckily for me, Maazel conducts Tchaikovsky was on for 1st Oct... so we went. The evening had Lorin Maazel conducting Bach, Bernard Rands and Tchaikovsky. A few preliminaries for Orchestras - you get to dress up, go to a lovely part of NYC (Avery Fisher Hall, the home of the NY Philharmonic, is at the Lincoln Center, Upper West Side), and see a much older crowd in NYC than you will ever see collected in one place.

Before the concert, the Philharmonic has a series called "Hear and Now" - one of the composers, Bernard Rands, is actually alive and they did a 30 minute interview with him, and his opinion about his premiere piece on that day. It was fascinating - he explored the audience's age, his musical inspiration, how the music will sound different to everyone, and in his wife's opinion hus current piece sounded like "butterflies in mist". For a novice, it was a fascinating look at composer. So, if you are going to attend the NY Philharmonic, get there an hour early and attend Hear and Now. Its a cool freebie with your ticket.

The concert started with Bach's fifth Brandenburg concerto (pronounced concherto, it drove me nuts). It has a lot of solo pieces, and that was not something I really enjoyed. Classical concerts use acoustic instruments, so you don't get Dolby Digital sound effect ;), and solo pieces don't simply seem to carry the effect. Next was Bernard Rands' Chains like the Sea, which with a full orchestra, was wonderful. Although if it was like "butterflies in the mist", then they were the butterflies causing the hurricanes. Seriously. If it was playing at home, I would run to the window to see the dark clouds, and be really surprised if I saw a blue skies. However, Rahul thought it was "mysterious", which reminded me of Rand's epithet how "you will turn to your neighbor and not be able to describe it". We weren't. Next was Tchaikovsky's Suite No.3 - the grand finale. It was lovely, completly mind-blowing, and I was in love.

If you have not yet found Western Classical - try the Philharmonic for an introduction. You will not be dissapointed.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

A lot of English musical words are actually Italian, Mahima, so they follow a different set of rules for pronunciation. But of course not all of them.

(What, you want English to be easy or something?)

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert. You cannot cannot cannot go wrong with Tchaikovsky, can you?

Bach, on the other hand, is like that guy you know across the room at work for a year and a half and you wave and smile and chat a little and gosh he's nice but meh, and then all of a sudden after work one time you get into this really intense conversation, and you figure out what he's all about and that he knows everything there is to know about you and you were always meant to be together and you move in with him.

Some people's mileage may vary.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Yep, I moved in with that guy too. Bach, I mean. :)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Fortunately, he's got a roomy place.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

When they were making up the message to put on a spacecraft someone suggested recording of Bach and the scientists didn't use it. They thought it would be "bragging".

Probably not true, but I like the story anyway.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I agree with the sentiment, but the story is not true, because they did use Bach. The Voyager spacecraft recording opens with the first movement of Bach's 2nd Brandenburg concerto, because they thought it sounded so optimistic and cheerful that even an alien might be able to hear it.

YouTube link to performance

There was actually a book about what went onto the recording, not just sounds but images as well. I have it somewhere but not to hand. These days it would have come with a CD or even a DVD, but there weren't such things then <she said with a wheezing cackle>.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Primula Baggins wrote:...Bach, on the other hand, is like that guy you know across the room at work for a year and a half and you wave and smile and chat a little and gosh he's nice but meh, and then all of a sudden after work one time you get into this really intense conversation, and you figure out what he's all about and that he knows everything there is to know about you and you were always meant to be together and you move in with him...
Just popping in from the shadows to say I really like that description. Absolutely right.

And the second Brandenburg Concerto is such a jolly piece, I hope the aliens do take some time out to listen to it. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks, samaranth. :)

I hope you'll stop in more often!
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I agree totally on that description of Bach! Someday, when everyone's forgotten that you said that, I'll steal it for my sig. :P

Personally, I feel a bit weird pronouncing Concerto as anything other than "con-CHER-to". It feels weird to me to pronounce foreign words used in music with an Irish accent. (Or any other non-authentic accent for that matter).

Even composers names!
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm confused. Is con-CHER-to wrong?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No, it's right. But you grew up with the idea of pronouncing musical terms by Italian rules, whereas Mahima's running into it as an adult—so it must seem very odd to her.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

No, Alatar, it's absolutely correct. I was saying that anything else feels 'wrong' to me, as I was taught to use the 'correct' (authentic) pronunciation of foreign musical words.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Bach, I should say that I had the great good fortune of playing all the Brandenburg concertos but #2 in my high school orchestra, and studying some of the Cello Suites transcribed for viola in private lessons. Performing music really teaches you to hear it from inside. It makes other similar pieces more approachable.

Playing the 3rd Brandenburg is probably the most fun I've ever had in music. In the years following, our conductor would let us play it from time to time as a reward when we'd been good. :D

Link to YouTube performance of the Allegro from Brandenburg 3