Prince Caspian to film in Ireland?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Prince Caspian to film in Ireland?

Post by Alatar »

Narnia: Caspian Moves Forward

Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media are moving ahead with a sequel to their hit The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Andrew Adamson is set to return to the director's chair, having just signed a deal to helm The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. Adamson also will serve as a producer and co-writer, collaborating with returning writers Christopher Markus and Steve McFeeley. The principal cast is coming back, as is producer Mark Johnson, the trade paper reported.

A screenplay is not yet written, but production is scheduled to begin this year with an eye toward a Christmas 2007 release. Caspian finds the four Pevensie siblings pulled back into the land of Narnia, where 1,000 years have passed since they left. The children are again enlisted to join the colorful creatures of Narnia, who have been driven into the wild, unfriendly parts of the land. The Pevensies must struggle to overthrow a usurping king named Miraz and restore the rightful heir to the throne, the young Prince Caspian.

Caspian, published in 1951, is one of the seven-book series written by C.S. Lewis.
and then

Narnia Sequel Has Irish Eyes?

Scouts are checking out locations in Ireland for Prince Caspian, the proposed sequel to Disney's hit fantasy film The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the Irish Independent newspaper reported.

Irish film industry chiefs are keeping their fingers crossed that Disney will choose Ireland, the newspaper reported. The first film was shot in New Zealand.

The newspaper reported secret talks with Irish filmmakers who, if the venture goes ahead, would be involved as co-producers of Prince Caspian. An anonymous industry source told the newspaper: "The location scouts have been here for two weeks. They have also been looking at sites in Britain."

The movie is eyeing a fall production start under returning director Andrew Adamson.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Ireland would be a perfect place as a location! It's been a while since I read Prince Caspian (years and years and years!) but scanning my mind over the various scenes, Ireland would certainly fit the bill.

So...are you hoping for a part as an extra? ;) :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You never know! I'd certainly be willing to take a few days holidays if I could get something. Of course, I normally only hear about these things after the fact.
segundus

Post by segundus »

Somewhat late on this subject, but I'd thought I'd throw a few thoughts on this.

I went over to Dublin (or more specifically, Ardmore Studios in County Wicklow) for the Miramax film, Ella Enchanted. My job was (and still is) a techie for the visual effects team. Lots of interesting stuff, etc. etc.

County Wicklow is absolutely breathtaking. You've got a stunning backdrop which makes it perfect for fantasy films, and you're not too far off from the coast. You've got all the film making facilities you need, and from what I gather, it's going to be cheaper to film there than it would be in the UK.

So I can see why they would want to work in Ireland. As a bonus, it's quick enough to get back over to London to the various post-production facilities and other studios if you should need them.

M.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Ireland. Good call.
It's about time.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Segundus, that must be a fascinating job!

And County Wicklow sounds like an excellent choice for filming Narnia. Beauty and practicality.

(Welcome to the Hall of Fire, by the way—I think I missed welcoming you in the proper forum!)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Most of Excalibur was filmed in Powerscourt Estate in Wicklow and in Cahir Castle in Tipperary.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I have always deeply regretted that I've not made it to Ireland...I've had two opportunties when I've been close enough, but couldn't afford the time or the money.

*Looks wistfully toward the green sward of Eire.*
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, there's a room in my house anytime you like. :hug:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:) If I'm ever lucky enough to get another opportunity, I won't let it pass! And would be such a great thing to meet you and your family!

I should be so fortunate!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Latest news...
Narnia 3 Gets Release Date

ComingSoon.net reported that Walt Disney Pictures has set a May 1, 2009, release date for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the proposed third film in the hit franchise. The second film, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, is already in production, with an eye to a May 16, 2008, release. The films are based on C.S. Lewis' beloved Narnia books.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I think I might invest in a parachute and 'drop in' (quite literally) on them... :D
Why is the duck billed platypus?