Solomon Kane - 17th Century Man with No Name...

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Elentári

Solomon Kane - 17th Century Man with No Name...

Post by Elentári »

This Robert E Howard creation is the latest sword and sorcery escapade to be filmed, ETA 5 Feb 2010, starring James Purefoy and directed by Michael J Bassett.

With swashbuckling derring-do, brilliantly gloomy production design and Purefoy providing a charismatic anti-hero, Kane caused a buzz at the Toronto Film Festival...
"There are so many silly fantasy movies," Bassett states, "I wanted to take fantasy to a darker, more intense place. And Solomon Kane is one of the most interesting, conflicted heroes there is."
Trailer here

Funny how it reminds me of something, but can't quite put my finger on it... ;)
Last edited by Elentári on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Jack Black???? Will Ferrell???? Adam Sandler????? Maybe you were thinking of those folks Elen?

I will probably pay to see this since it has all the moody atmosphere and eye candy that I love. On the other hand, Robert E. Howard movies have never yet set the world on fire so it will be interesting to read the initial reviews.

I just read the article you linked to on Jackson in another thread and his comments about how other directors started using his LOTR shots in their films. Then this KANE trailer. Boy was he right on the money.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My 10 year old son caught a glimpse of the trailer and said "What's that, Mummy? Are those Ringwraiths? Why have they got Ringwraiths in that??" 8)

ETA: on the trailer link, if you scroll to the right on the boxes of other features available, there are some initial media reviews...LotR is mentioned quite frequently...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes