Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

OK! Just seen it - and yes, I loved, well, about 80% of it. :thumbsup:

The teenage angst was funny and well acted, and Slughorn was played marvellously by Broadbent. I too found the business at the Burrow was unnecessary.

Totally agree with River regarding the ending and the changes to it. It was too downplayed and not emotional enough.

Spoiler:
Also, why did Dumbledore appear reasonably recovered from his trip to the seaside, and not more feeble and helpless like the book? The fact that he was dying anyway certainly did not come across in the film and made his sacrifice all the more unexpected and apparently unnecessary. I think the director was aiming to play up more Snape's perceived duplicity in the end.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
eborr

Post by eborr »

spoilers

Saw it yesterday, underwhelmed word be the word, nicely shot film, some good acting, Broadbent, did a great job, not sure if the acting of the kids has improved much.

I found the book pretty dull up until the last few chapters, when it closed really well, with the inferi and the Dumbledeath, both of these I think were really under cooked. I felt the film dragged and the invented bits which were designed to add some excitement didn't work.

After the GOF I was re-assured by the OOTH but now I am concerned about the last 2, I think there were some very serious errors of directorial judgement. I wish they had been able to persuade Cuaron to do the last book.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

eborr wrote:I wish they had been able to persuade Cuaron to do the last book.
You're not the only one, eborr. :(

I'm afraid that the rabid HP purists hate Cuaron's PoA. :roll: One of them even opines that 'they don't regard it as a Harry Potter film at all.' :scratch:

Odd lot, purists. ;)

PoA always gets lots of votes on the messageboards though. 8)

Personally, it is far and away my favourite. PoA just has these beautifully judged emotional moments.

I did also really like OotP and I like HBP too --- although, like others, I can see problems with it, which flag up worries for DH.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Gah. Damn those purists! PoA was the first film to capture the spirit of te Harry Potter world accurately, IMHO. The purists still think Philosopher's Stone was the best film for goodness' sake!
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Elmtree

Post by Elmtree »

I didn't find Philosopher's Stone to be "pure" at all... it was a collection of snapshots from the book but missed some big things (like WHY Voldemort was diminished). But I did not like PoA. Best of the books, and while I liked some scenes in the film, I felt some parts were cartoonish. Other parts were less cartoonish... it was the only film where I actually felt something for the Dursleys... seeing why they were frightened.

GoF is my favorite so far, I think, though I liked the OotP quite a bit too. This one: loved HBP when I first saw it, but after a bit I realized it was missing too much, and IA about the ending. I felt like it emphasized the wrong things (much as PS did). Still an enjoyable film.

Daughter Willow is returning tonight from summer archeology classes in the middle of nowhere... been there all summer and has not gotten to see the film. So i'm sure one of our first orders of business will be to see it.. she is my Harry Potter expert, and grew up with the books. I'm curious to hear her reaction.
-Elm
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I'm curious to hear her reaction, too!

I saw it a couple of weeks ago with my sibs, and I think it is fair to say that I enjoyed it, but was underwhelmed by parts. There were parts that they started to build up, but then just didn't follow through with. The one additional scene that I thoroughly enjoyed was Harry and Snape seeing one another on the Tower. There was that nascent, implicit trust there, which he so bitterly regretted right afterward.

Book!Snape is a much angrier person who lets things bubble out (no matter how much his true thoughts are held close to his sleeve). Movie!Snape is soooo restrained that it's difficult to see what's going on in those still waters..

I thought the action at the Burrow was a substitute for the lack of action at the end. I guess they didn't want to duplicate the last movie, but I hope we see kids fighting at Hogwarts in the final battle scene of the last movie!

But I did like Spinner's End :)

As for reading the books - the kids have. The actress who plays Luna loved the character in the book, and that's why she tried out for the part. She made her own radish earrings for OotP. She is amazing in the role. So, yes, reading the book can enhance an actor's performance. But I imagine the adults can pull it off from the scripts - they all have quite a bit of experience doing just that.

Tolkien wrote a masterpiece. Harry Potter is good fun. So, yes, the books evoke emotions and develop characters, but if a director/screenwriter wants to do that (possibly in a different way), it's not going to hurt. Draco had barely any lines in this movie, and yet we feel for him more than in the book (Slytherins are mostly just jerks in the books). Snape is a different person in the book - but Rickman need not feel bad about that. He's made his own Snape - one who is a bit less into petty vindictiveness, and a bit more into keeping his mouth shut ('Obviously' with barely a twitch was one of the best lines in OotP) - but his character is widely acclaimed.

As for one of the changes Maria brought up - I thought it was prudent for Ginny to hide the book. If Harry hides it, he knows where it is. If he closes his eyes, it means he trusts Ginny, and won't have to worry about any temptation. I realize making Ginny take that role segued into other things, but she was the one who was so badly burned when she trusted Riddle's book. It was like she was trying to repay him for rescuing her in the CoS all those years ago. I thought it was nicely done.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

After a good deal of time reflecting on the film, and watching it a couple of times on dvd, I find I like it second onlyto POA as far as the films go.

As with PoA, there is very little of the "essential" parts of the book left out. I find the "felix" portion of the film to be adequate, although the abbreviated Harry/Ginny aspect was kind of sad.

The most interesting aspect I found on multiple viewings was the fact that it seems apparent that several of the child actors/actresses cast for the various films have not really developed their acting skills. At times, Ginny has felt really flat in this film.

On the other hand, there is a decided effort in this film to portray the awkwardness of teenage relationships and while it may be a bit extreme, it could certainly explain the awkward pauses this film portrays.

At this point, the most intriguing point I'm interested in seeing is if they can pull off the ending of the 7th book, and particularly the epilogue, which is quite possibly my favorite part of the last book...

We shall see...
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Hal ... I think HBP is a very enjoyable film but a disappointing adaptation. (Whereas I think PoA is both an excellent film and an excellent adaptation.)

What made HBP a good experience in the cinema:
-- The Draco subplot was handled excellently.
-- Jim Broadbent's Slughorn was one of the best adult character parts in any of the HP films. Horace is a fun character in the books, and a well drawn one too (if a bit creepy, with his penchant for collecting talented boys and girls), but Broadbent is an awesome actor and I loved his subtle, nuanced portrayal of Horace and his flaws.
-- Lovely bit of Lily foreshadowing, with the fish story.
-- Lavender was a riot!
-- So was Cormac.
-- Nice, poignant acting from Emma.
-- Loved Harry getting high on Felix Felicis. :D
-- Snape brooding.
-- The cave scene with Dumbledore and Harry was really very moving. Gambon rocks.

What made it a poor adaptation
-- Far too much is left unexplained.
-- Snape's storyline has been diluted (although Rickman, of course, is awesome, and conveys hidden depths). All the same: the missing note is the Harry/Snape hate, and as a Snape fan, I think that's a shame. I did like the subtle foreshadowings about Snape's true feelings in the film (probably only discernible to those of us who know the story) but Yates missed the chance to go full throttle at the end, when Harry was chasing Snape and Snape goes ballistic on him (and also tries to teach him a few DADA moves ;) ).
-- The Burrows attack scene was shoehorned in rather clumsily and had no consequences of any note in the rest of the film narrative, so the point of it was ... what? :scratch:
halplm wrote:As with PoA, there is very little of the "essential" parts of the book left out. I find the "felix" portion of the film to be adequate, although the abbreviated Harry/Ginny aspect was kind of sad.
Book Ginny can get on my nerves, but Bonnie Wright is a bit wooden.
The most interesting aspect I found on multiple viewings was the fact that it seems apparent that several of the child actors/actresses cast for the various films have not really developed their acting skills. At times, Ginny has felt really flat in this film.
Yes, I agree. She did.
At this point, the most intriguing point I'm interested in seeing is if they can pull off the ending of the 7th book, and particularly the epilogue, which is quite possibly my favorite part of the last book...
The Epilogue is controversial in the fandom! :D Many fans dislike it, and not just because they're disappointed Harry/Draco shippers. :blackeye:

Personally, I think it's one of the worst-written bits of the entire saga. It just sounds so ... fanficcy. I could write a whole post on how I think it could have been so much better. The saving graces for me were Draco's curt nod to Harry (whatever that means) and little Albus Severus. :blackeye:

Sam's wistful, yearning "Well, I'm back" at the end of LotR speaks volumes. "All was well" somehow doesn't quite ring the same.

Rowling originally was going to write the last line of the book along the lines of "And only those who loved him noticed the lightning-shaped scar" or something like that, and I thought that was much better.

Also: I want to know who went back for Snape's body in the Shack. :rage:

;)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I know it's controversial, but that's one of the reasons I like it :P
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I got around to watching this film this week. It wasn't too bad, but I still found it pretty underwhelming. I agree with River that it comes accross as a series of adaptations of the major scenes of the book rather than an actual film in its own right.

My interest in this franchise has waned. PoA alone stands out as a good film in its own right in my view.