Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

We wants one, we wants one, precious!

Thanks so much for sharing the teaser trailer - I liked it very much :)

To be fair, I thought the original Dumbledore was better than the replacement, though of course they had no choice but to replace him :(. I feel he could have developed the character more as the stories demanded it - old and benevolent and slightly whimsical is how Harry saw Dumbledore at first, after all. The same actor played the old priest in Count of Monte Cristo - I'm not exactly recommending that movie [especially not to anyone remotely puristy!], but he certainly shows he could have pulled off a much more wily Dumbledore, if needed. Gambon is acceptable, of course, and more sprightly.

I also think that the 4th movie is much better than the 3rd one, because in the 3rd one, it didn't feel like we were in the magical world of Hogwarts so much. Too much running around in civilian clothes and random standing stones ;). I couldn't have been a purist, because I hadn't read the books yet, but the girls I went to see the movie with def. told me afterwards I needed to read the 3rd book, because the movie didn't even come close. After reading the book, I had to agree.

I am looking forward to the 6th movie, but I think whole swaths of the book could be rearranged without losing the main story, about Harry growing up and coming into his own. He has to make lots more adult decisions in this book, and in general, rises to the occasion (though not always, obviously!) If they invent a scene to pull that off, I'm okay with it...maybe ;). I realize there are a lot of storylines to juggle, so that it could get very confusing if they do not tie it all together well. In the book, Felix does that (and gives Ron his rare moment of genius insight), but I agree that showing luck could be tricky. Harry can tell Hermione and Ron that he feels like he knows exactly what to do, and then he can proceed with a bunch of near misses/ random chance things that will make us see what is happening. It could be very humorous or just hokey, depending.

Anyway, I am a Tolkien fan, first and foremost, but that doesn't somehow make me not a Harry Potter fan. I most def. am one of those, too. I am just more willing to treat the creatrix as human and prone to certain errors ;).
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I needed to read the 3rd book, because the movie didn't even come close.
I disagree. I found it to be the closest of the first three by a long shot. The plot was essentially the same, while Hogwarts really felt like the bizarre, magical, hodge-podge castle and grounds I've always imagined. In the first two, it was far too regular, too normal. Why shouldn't the grounds of Hogwarts have random standing stones? It has random everything else!

I also preferred Gambon's Dumbledore. Harris' Dumbledore, for me, seemed too frail and, at times, quite affected. While Gambon's accent can get annoying, he really pulls off the "later" Dumbledore far better than Harris would have, I think.

But the civvy clothes did annoy me a lot, as did the re-assigning of certain lines, but you can't have everything!

I think HBP could be one of the most difficult to bring to film. There's so much that could be cut without losing the general thrust, but at the cost of some of the more amusing side-bits etc. I'd really like to see how they handle the whole Ginny thing, and
Hidden text.
Dumbledore's funeral
will, I think, really be the proof of the pudding, as it's essentially the last thing we'll see, if it's left in. It could so easily become so corny, with flashback clips and other such sillyness.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Crucifer wrote:
I disagree. I found it to be the closest of the first three by a long shot. The plot was essentially the same, while Hogwarts really felt like the bizarre, magical, hodge-podge castle and grounds I've always imagined. In the first two, it was far too regular, too normal. Why shouldn't the grounds of Hogwarts have random standing stones? It has random everything else!
For me, the 3rd movie didn't come close, but that wasn't at all because of how Hogwarts was portrayed. The background was great, but the storyline was lacking. Who were the people behind the Marauder's Map? Why was Harry's patronus a stag? Why is Malfoy so completely inept and scared of everything? Makes him less of an enemy and more of a nuisance.

Also, the ending (finding Scabbers to the end) of the 3rd book was just fabulous. I cringe during parts of that ending in the movie. When Harry and Hermione go back in time, they're told not to mess with anything or be seen. But yet, in the movie, Hermione throws rocks at them, is nearly seen by herself as she comments on her past self's hair, and she makes werewolf calls to draw away Lupin (seriously? ick). And Lupin as a werewolf was pretty gross and weird looking, not much like I'd imagine a werewolf, and that whole scene was cringe-worthy to me. I'm not a fan of how they portray the dementors in any of the films, especially the dementor's kiss, so I didn't like that much either, so that could just be a personal preference. But really, flying?

And the dementors were attracted to Harry? Why? That was weird. Lupin (or McGonagall, I forget) told Harry he just had a lot of pain in his past so he was just effected more than others. But in the movie Lupin says something like they're drawn to Harry. And why do fly?

Ok, I'll stop now. :blackeye: I do actually like watching the 3rd movie, I just try not to think about it too much.

So as not to osgiliate this thread too much, some HBP news:
Warner Brothers has just announced that Half-Blood Prince will be delayed. The film will instead be released on July 17th, 2009. From the press release:

In making the announcement, Mr. Horn stated, “Our reasons for shifting ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers’ strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.”
More info here.

:(
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Rats. I was looking forward to seeing it this winter. :(
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Yes, we as a family have the tradition of seeing movies on Thanksgiving weekend or on Christmas, if there is a movie out that we really want to see. It's a treat since we mainly wait until movies come out on DVD except for some that we really want to see in the theater.

Seems to me that this is a move to try and maximize profits for Warner Bros./Time Warner since it means releases that correspond to July 2009, Holidays 2010 and summer 2011. This would mean that last episode of HP comes out in summer 2011 and if everything goes right with The Hobbit that would hit holidays 2011. Quite a nice lineup for almost guarantee income, and yes, I mean guarantee because they will make their production costs back with some because people will flock to them regardless; I guess you could call these slam dunks in terms of profits.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I'm not personally upset myself -- although I was looking forward to my Snape and Draco fix this November :rage: -- but the HP fandom is, understandably, very angry and upset at WB over this.

And threatening to boycott the opening of the film next summer, because WB so obviously care about the ca-ching.

It is a rotten thing to do to the fandom, really.

You all know that Deathly Hallows is being split in two, right? With Part One coming out in November 2010 and Part Two in spring 2011??

(Which I'm against: I think it's a bad decision both commercially and artistically.)

Hallows filming begins in February 2009. Two films, essentially, back-to-back.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Hallows I will need to be really spectacular, and end on a huge cliffhanger or Hallows II will almost certainly flop. WB have their work cut out. IMHO, out of all 7 books, DH is the one that would least easily transfer to screen, for obvious reasons.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Rebecca wrote:
Crucifer wrote:
For me, the 3rd movie didn't come close, but that wasn't at all because of how Hogwarts was portrayed. The background was great, but the storyline was lacking. Who were the people behind the Marauder's Map? Why was Harry's patronus a stag? Why is Malfoy so completely inept and scared of everything? Makes him less of an enemy and more of a nuisance.

Also, the ending (finding Scabbers to the end) of the 3rd book was just fabulous. I cringe during parts of that ending in the movie. When Harry and Hermione go back in time, they're told not to mess with anything or be seen. But yet, in the movie, Hermione throws rocks at them, is nearly seen by herself as she comments on her past self's hair, and she makes werewolf calls to draw away Lupin (seriously? ick). And Lupin as a werewolf was pretty gross and weird looking, not much like I'd imagine a werewolf, and that whole scene was cringe-worthy to me. I'm not a fan of how they portray the dementors in any of the films, especially the dementor's kiss, so I didn't like that much either, so that could just be a personal preference. But really, flying?

And the dementors were attracted to Harry? Why? That was weird. Lupin (or McGonagall, I forget) told Harry he just had a lot of pain in his past so he was just effected more than others. But in the movie Lupin says something like they're drawn to Harry. And why do fly?

Ok, I'll stop now. :blackeye: I do actually like watching the 3rd movie, I just try not to think about it too much.
I'd have liked to have seen more of the story in the film, but realistically speaking I think they did the absolute best possible job of turning a book that size into a two and a half hour film. In fact, I'd rate PoA as the second-best book-film adaptation I've ever seen (after the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice).
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

....(after the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice).... <--- :D

Everything pales into second place compared to this adaptation.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I don't think the BBC P&P should be allowed as a comparison with anything. It's just too good!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We should retire its number.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I agree that the connection of the Marauders' Map to Harry should have been more clear. I didn't quite get the significance of the stag the first time around, but I did figure out that Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were his dad and his friends with only the slightest prompt walking out of the theater. Still, the movie would have been improved if they spelled that out explicitly at the end - just showing the map and having the names shift to 'James Potter,' etc would have been a quick and easy way to do this. I am not saying I disliked the movie - I decided to read the books after seeing it ;). I thought the twins really became real characters here, and I took a bit more interest in the story. Like Rebecca, I found the portrayal of were-Lupin to be weak, but that's because I want my werewolves to look like wolves, not men ;). I also felt there was a little too much of the horror film feel with the flickering lights and a few other details.

PoA is arguably the best Harry Potter book. The first two are straightforward school mysteries, with a bit of magic thrown in for spice. But with the third book, she steps up her story to include the past (not just as a backdrop), and the adults become real characters. Lupin is an awesome teacher (probably the best she portrays, to be honest), while the clever way in which Sirius in introduced and changes from 'Black' to 'Sirius' in the moment when Harry trusts him....

So, even if they did well, they didn't really capture all of that. And so it's not surprising that people felt they were wasting their time with giving Hermione something to do during their travel-back-through-time at each step of the way.

Well, anyway, it's a great book, and while her writing style obviously matured after that and the later books are more involved, none of them have quite the same...well, I could see why PoA is the best loved. The ending is shocking without seeming too contrived, and the solutions to the mysteries don't feel...set up. GoF has a great scene in the graveyard, but fake-Moody is def. a stretch of the imagination (he fooled Dumbledore all year??) and the Tri-Wizard tournament in general falls flat in a few places. I mean, I loved that she introduced students from other countries, but some of the logistics didn't quite work. For one thing, the second two tasks were pretty boring for the audience to watch - they couldn't see anything! Also, this book sets up themes that the series is never quite able to live up to. She made her scope too broad.

But regardless, we have to wait a year to see HBP :(. I imagine they have more work to do on the movie yet...at least that is what The Wagner is saying over on TORc.
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

There's a new international trailer out now that has a bunch of new scenes:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/ha ... re-trailer
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

So what do they mean by 'this year'? Is the trailer not official until Jan? Or has the release date changed again?

There's tons of stuff in there - LavLav, of course, and it looks like Bellatrix will be one of the Death Eaters at Hogwarts at the end.

I sooo want to hear Snape's response to 'Fight back, you coward!' though ;)
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

So I guess nobody here has seen it yet, huh. ;)

I am seeing it tonight at the London IMAX, :banana:

The film has got mainly very good reviews from the professionals and also the very ardent fanbase seems, mostly, to approve.

And the HP fandom are a notoriously picky lot, let me tell you. :blackeye: (They moan about things which to me, as a Tolkienista, are mere peanuts. :P )

Anyway, I am looking forward to His Snapiness. :drool:

Also Hot!Tormented!Angsty!Hot! Draco. (Did I mention hot? :D )

I'm also seeing it AGAIN tomorrow night in Oxford. :D

(I'm going out for the day with three old friends who I met through the Imladris messageboard back in the Elder Days.)

Will post my review sometime on Sunday, I guess.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I'm glad the fanbase only "mostly" likes it. They still think the first one was the best.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Dave_LF wrote:I'm glad the fanbase only "mostly" likes it. They still think the first one was the best.
I know they do. :roll:

They're wrong. :blackeye:
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Actually, I saw it on Wednesday, and I loved it! Sure, there's a whole extra scene, and loads cut out, but it captures the spirit of the book. Lots of great angsty Malfoy action, and the acting from the main three was better than usual. (Harry on Felix was awesome). All in all, it was very much the darkest film so far, but it was the darkest book too! And the Inferi look like Gollum, which is cool. :)

The soundtrack is pretty good too, especially at the Quidditch Match.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Can't wait....but I'm gonna have to: can't get all the kids free together until Weds 22nd :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes