Mr. Rogers Neighborhood to be Removed from PBS daily shows

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood to be Removed from PBS daily shows

Post by ArathornJax »

"After celebrating 40 years of national broadcasts in February, "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" will be removed from PBS' weekday program service this fall. Currently, PBS beams the "Neighborhood" to member stations as part of its children's programming block Monday through Friday. Individual stations can choose not to air it, but a majority of PBS stations still do . . . .
PBS estimates that last month the show was carried by 63 percent of its member stations, covering 79 percent of American TV households."

Sad day in the Neighborhood. I don't expect much response but thought those who may have children or grand-children may want to know.

In the mid sixties to late sixties as a little kid Fred Rogers came into my home and I watched him as much as I watched Underdog, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Star Trek, Daniel Boone and other shows. He made an impact on me and I feel strong that though some of his shows are outdated, many, if not most, are not.

Here is the article:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08162/888699-85.stm

If you want to do something about it here is a site:
http://savemisterrogers.com/

If you need to remember why you should save it here is his 6 minute 20 million dollar speech from 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KIk9JDetf8

I personally have contacted my local PBS station to let them know that they need to continue to broadcast his show Monday through Friday and at a time when young children can watch him. As a supporter I mentioned that until a new show that is of equal caliber and meaning is produced, Mr. Rogers needs to stay in the "Neighborhood." In many ways, I think his message(s) are needed more today for children than ever before.

As a side note, I know Fred Rogers also testified before the Supreme Court in Sony v. Universal over copyright infringement on copying using VCR's. Rogers was in favoring of it since it allowed families to record his show and let kids watch it at a latter time. He was quoted in a footnote of the decision:
"I have always felt that with the advent of all of this new technology that allows people to tape the 'Neighborhood' off-the-air, and I'm speaking for the 'Neighborhood' because that's what I produce, that they then become much more active in the programming of their family's television life. Very frankly, I am opposed to people being programmed by others. My whole approach in broadcasting has always been 'You are an important person just the way you are. You can make healthy decisions.' Maybe I'm going on too long, but I just feel that anything that allows a person to be more active in the control of his or her life, in a healthy way, is important." Id., at 2920-2921. See also Defendants' Exh. PI, p. 85.
I'm sure those who are in the legal profession or are versed in this in more depth can correct my errors on the case, or to expand on its importance.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

I want to also share this link from Fred Rogers that have some meaningful quotes to them.

http://pbskids.org/rogers/all_ages/thoughts.htm

I'll share this one. I really love this quote and it probably needs to be in our respect/education thread. I really believe our children, at any age, just want us, our time, our love, our complete and utter attention. I think that for so many parents today, this is becoming less and less, and the result is that many kids have lost . . . we'll we can each determine what kids have lost and gained to paraphrase Tolkien (and add some words).

"Whatever we do to show our children we love them, nothing can replace times when we give them our complete attention. I believe that the children who have learned that there will be such times for them are the ones who are at least likely to demand it and to compete for it."
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Some friends of mine used to live in Pittsburgh and went to the church Mr. Rogers attended. They told me he helped out in the Sunday School and that he was, in person, just what we see on the show: just as gentle, warm, loving, and positive as the Mr. Rogers on camera.

I loved his un-saccharine kindness. He was an extraordinary and wise man.

I hope PBS reconsiders. If they don't, no doubt some cable channel will pick it up—but so many kids don't live in houses with cable, and PBS is broadcast free everywhere.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Mr. Rogers on a commercial network would be wrong. I would rather see the show disappear than be edited and wedged between ads for Yogurt Snacks and Action Figures.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

My parents wouldn't let me watch Mr. Rodgers when I was a kid. It was banned, along with I Love Lucy and The Beverly Hillbillies for being "too stupid".
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I loved Mr. Rogers! I still remember how excited I was when the baby platypus puppet was born!

:D seriously! :D

And they named her Ornithorhyncha Anatina! How cool is that?

He was kind and loved opera; the show wasn't stupid (neither, really, was "I Love Lucy").

:love: