The Dark Knight

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
halplm
hooked

The Dark Knight

Post by halplm »

Go. See. It.

It's brilliant.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I'll just post what I posted on B77:

I just saw it tonight. One of the best movies I have seen. I was really stunned. Usually I lower my expectations for a "comic book" movie, but this really surpassed my expectations. Both Heath Ledger and Arron Eckhart were amazing.

Some scenes with Heath Ledger made me question the rating of the movie since he was so scary.

The writing for this movie was excellent. Whoever adapted the story into a screenplay really really deserves some sort of recognition. If only all movies based on comic books were taken as seriously as this. I totally agree with Hal that this is a psychological thriller. Definitely should be seen on the big screen.

(Also the trailer for The Watchmen looks really cool too)

I would say buy tix early since when I went several of the shows were sold out and parking...was a nightmare. People were even parking on the grass and the lineup was almost outside the theatre.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My son saw it and said Heath Ledger's Joker is the scariest villain he's ever seen in any film. And that the movie itself was excellent.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This Joker easily goes high on the Greatest Movie Villains list. It is fascinating to watch Ledger just be this monster.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

In case anyone needed any other incentive... I would gladly concede any argument on the political front if people proceed to watch the Dark Knight.

There is some relevant commentary in the film which I would argue isn't necessary, and yet, it fits the film and characters perfectly.

Sigh... I will be seeing this movie again soon...
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

All this hype has gotten my attention. I'm going to get Batman Begins from Blockbuster (I didn't see it in the theatres).
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

You know you don't really really need to see the first movie, I saw parts of the first movie and it was OK. They only refer to the first movie a little bit.

I will also be seeing the movie again as the audio was messed up when I went to see it last night, but they gave us tix to see it again.

Also I think this movie can work for any age, it's not a "young people" movie at all. It really works as a serious drama.

EDIT: It's not really for kids.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I agree Wilma. I loved Batman Begins but it's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you don't like the 1st one, it's irrelevant to the experience of Dark Knight. Even if you don't generally care for "superhero" movies, I think this transcends its genre to become just a great drama.
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It just occurred to me that after watching Brokeback Mountain, I left thinking that Heath Ledger had given one of the greatest performances I'd ever seen. After seeing Dark Knight, I was left thinking the very same thing. And good lord, has any actor ever so thoroughly embodied two such vastly different characters! Clearly we lost a genius in Heath Ledger.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, I liked Batman Begins and so was planning to see this one anyway. But we'll try to see it in the theater. We don't have a good track record, though—haven't even seen Indy yet, and appear to have missed Iron Man.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Wilma wrote:You know you don't really really need to see the first movie, I saw parts of the first movie and it was OK. They only refer to the first movie a little bit.

I will also be seeing the movie again as the audio was messed up when I went to see it last night, but they gave us tix to see it again.

Also I think this movie can work for any age, it's not a "young people" movie at all. It really works as a serious drama.

EDIT: It's not really for kids.
Are you sure the audio was messed up, Wilma? I had a similar thought, but then realized it was intentionally sounding that way, at least at a few points.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It sounds as if it must have been really messed up, Hal, or they wouldn't have given out free tickets for another showing.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

oops, missed that part.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I just saw it. :shock:

What a powerful, twisted, brilliant film.

Heath Ledger's Joker will haunt my nightmares. I'm not sure I was old enough to see this flick.

Incredible actors gave their all to an inspired script (with lots of cool gizmos, too ... hey, it is Batman). Awesome.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

the manager said they had a technical issue earlier in the day and had an expert look at it, it was at a part that was very obvious it needed audio, lots of stuff happened and the audio cut off mid sentence.

SPOILER: It was just after the "dissapear" scene.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Wow I just saw the movie and I have to say it is definitely one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Heath Ledger's acting was amazing and honestly reminded me of the great Sir Anthony Hopkin's performance of Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs. I would recommend everyone watch it (except children this is one movie I would not let my kid see!)
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

from Hal
In case anyone needed any other incentive... I would gladly concede any argument on the political front if people proceed to watch the Dark Knight.
Well, I was NOT going to see it... but Hals offer is too good to pass up. Think I will use the "Obama is the better candidate" arguement to collect on.

Okay - just kidding my friend.

I will see it in a few days when the crowds die down and I can go in the middle of the week at 11AM without having to ask some teens to quiet down and provoke a fight.

I did like the first one - BATMAN BEGINS - a great deal.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

My wife and the chickens are going to see this tomorrow.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Holy. Batman. Batman.

There were a few slow parts, and I mean a few.

Aaron Eckhart was really good.

Christian Bale was good.

Heath Ledger as the Joker :bow: :bow:

There were plenty of what the heck moments when dealing with the Joker. Oh who am I kidding there were plenty of what the heck moments in the entire movie.

Spoiler

Anyone notice how Jocker kept changing his scar story, I thought that showed the true nature of a real phsycopathic person. Change stories to get the biggest reaction is a known tactic that most of them use. Ledger did a really good job protraying this.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I did notice that, Padme. :shock: What a psychopath.