The Dark Knight

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

solicitr wrote:Oh, I'll still go. I *loved* Barbarella....... =:)
I bet you did. :D

Batman? I feel like this about Batman: *yawn* Actually? *double yawn*

I try not to think about it as it creeps me out big time.

*yawns again*

Enjoy, though! It would be a boring world if we all thought alike.
Dig deeper.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Alatar - I am used in posting in movie forums on many different sites which clearly identify themselves as being SPOLIER FREE right in the thread title. This warns everyone not to discuss plot or developments. This thread here had no such admonition.

I am sorry if I screwed things up for anyone else.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

vison, you might be surprised at this Batman. It's as much a dark psychological thriller as a superhero flick. I think I would have found it equally involving without the heroics and special effects. But then, I have less testosterone than much of the target audience. :)
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Yes, it's really like The Silence of the Lambs...with car chases and stuff blowing up.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Is that a good thing?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

in case you're not familiar with itsjustsomerandomguy on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

very relevant :)
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

that was clever
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I saw Batman Begins today. I really liked it, although found it a bit weak in the villain department. It seemed like a waste to go to all the trouble to make this believeable and realistic Batman only to have him fight ninjas with a microwave death machine - I thought the whole cleaning up the corrupt and crime-ridden city angle was more interesting. I understand the sequel doesn't have the same problem - I'm going to see it tommorrow.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I'm thinking of going to see it again this weekend. :)
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

This is a quasi-spoiler. A question of minutiae, really, but you've been warned...

Warning

Warning

I saw Dark Knight a couple weeks ago but this has been bugging me and I'm wondering what the rest of you think. Everyone on screen wears make-up. That's just the way it is. The make-up can be as subtle or extravagant as it needs to be to define/accentuate the character. With that in mind, what was with the excessive amounts of eyeliner the mayor wore?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I kept wondering about that too, River, but I actually suspect that it might be possible he actually just has really thick dark eyelashes. Maybe?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's hard to say from the non-screen shots of him on IMDB, but you might be right.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

He looks like that on "Lost" as well (he plays Richard, one of the Others).
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

OK, just saw it.

MINOR SPOILERS

The first half of the film is brilliant, no question. The Joker is, as everyone else has been saying, terrifying like few (if any) villains I’ve ever seen, and the terror he creates is palpable. That said, I think it unravels a bit in the second half. I found the two-faced district Harvey Dent a bit of a diversion, the Joker and his games start to get a bit repetitive (and his omniscence begins to stretch credibility), and you can only show so many explosions, car crashes and fight scenes before they lose their impact. It could have been just as effective, I thought, had it been shorter. Still arguably the best superhero film I’ve seen, though.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I saw it last weekend, didn't know we had a thread on it.

In one word: Over-rated.

It got really interesting in the middle.... but the end left me moaning, groaning and half-puking. [/b]
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Yeah, I didn't like the end at all (and what's with Nolan's ham-fistedness when it comes to themes?).

I think the ending (and the film as a whole) suffers from having too many climaxes. We have a huge action set-piece around the car chase and the Joker’s capture, then another over the hospital, then yet another over the ferries. And I also found the Joker’s later schemes to be a bit less scary than his earlier ones – blowing things up can’t really match silently killing people and displaying their bodies.

To say something positive, though, it would have been really easy for either the writing or the acting to push the Joker from beyond scary into ridiculous. The balance struck with that character was remarkable.