Battlestar Galactica: SPOILERS for season 4

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:D Our work here is done.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not until you get me to watch it. And that is going to be a much tougher nut to crack (since I haven't watched any TV show regularly in any format for over 20 years).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Any particular reason?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I think I watched more than enough television to last a lifetime in my first 20 years. We made a conscious decision that it was too much of time-suck, and we haven't had a TV that is connected to anything other than a VCR or DVD player ever since (e.g., no broadcast TV, no cable, etc). I know that that is no longer a barrier to watching a show like Battlestar Gallatica, but I can't imagine ever finding the time to do so.

(I do occasionally watch portions of the Daily Show as well as baseball and basketball games online.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:...we haven't had a TV that is connected to anything other than a VCR or DVD player ever since (e.g., no broadcast TV, no cable, etc).
I haven't either for 5 or 6 years. :) (Well, mine's also connected to my Wii and my PC but you know what I mean. :P)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

But five or six years ago, TV shows had already started to be regularly available on DVD and soon after, online. I, on the other hand, have gotten completely out of the habit of watching TV.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I really was TV-free for a few years. It's been online streaming that has gradually pulled me back in in the last couple years. Foul temptress. :nono:

On the plus side: BSG!!!! :D
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Voronwë, I'm not sure how you'd feel about BSG even if you did watch it. The writing and acting are wonderful, but much of it is bleak bleak bleak. I know you'd recognize the quality, but I don't know how much you'd enjoy the experience. I didn't always; when the writing and acting are so good you invest in the characters, only to watch them fail and make mistakes and suffer. . . .

It was worth it, and I don't say that lightly. But if you ever got in the mood to watch a TV science fiction show that was also well written and well acted, but had a lot more humor and a lot more faith in humanity*—and that you can see all of, start to finish, in 13 episodes plus one movie—I would recommend Firefly. Highly highly highly.

BSG is a great show. Firefly is one I love with all my heart.

*This is really important to me. As I guess you know if you've read my books.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

yovargas wrote:One thing I was unhappy with: the Chief. I loved him and his character. They put him through so much hell - his first love betrays them, his second commits "suicide", his son is not his own, his memories are false, one of his supposed allies is Kalli's murderer - they take everything away from him by the end and leave him with absolutely nothing. And he gets no ending. Last we see him, he's a broken man sitting there after killing Tori. He deserved more than that. :( :( :( :( :( :(
wiki, on the final episode wrote:Tyrol decides to live the remainder of his life in solitude on a remote island (revealed in the podcast to be the British isles, specifically now-Scotland).
I just fast-forwarded thru the last episode in case I missed something but I can't find this scene. What gives?? :scratch: Is anyone able to tell me exactly where in the episode this scene is shown??
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Primula Baggins wrote:*This is really important to me. As I guess you know if you've read my books.
This made me chuckle. Even though I know it wasn't really directed at me. I thought about making some kind of snide comment, but I know I wouldn't be able to carry it off. But yes, I have read your books. Actually three times through so far (plus various additional checks of certain passages ). And yes, I do know that.

:hug:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yov, I'd second Prims suggestion of Firefly, and also Babylon 5. However, I realise B5 is a big ask now. The CG is dated, the acting occasionally clunky. But its the first series ever to attempt a 5 season story arc, and unlike BSG and Lost, JM Straczynski knew where he was going with the story from the start. He had to adjust occasionally, sure, but the overall arc was laid out in advance. As a result you get clues in Season 1 that aren't explained or resolved until Season 4 or 5. The depth really is staggering. However, its not as cutting edge as BSG, but I'd be inclined to say that had B5 been made with the production values of BSG it would be a stronger show than BSG.

Farscape is also worth watching, althouigh its safe to reveal that the entire show changes direction completely after Season 1. Also it takes a while to get used to the Muppets playing some of the aliens. And, yes, I mean that literally, not figuratively. However, if you buy into it, it will surely break your heart.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I know and love Firefly :) it's hard for me to watch because it's abrupt cancellation makes me so mad. :x :x

Can anyone help with my Chief question above??
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Voronwë, :hug: I did know that. That was meant to be a conditional statement and a general "you." :D

yov, I wish I could help, but it's been a long time since I watched the finale.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I vaguely recall a scene in which Tyrol says he's going somewhere where he can be all by himself forever, but for some reason I thought he ended up on Vancouver Island.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It probablyt was Vancouver Island, whatever they meant it to be in the story. :P
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Alatar wrote:Yov, I'd second Prims suggestion of Firefly, and also Babylon 5. However, I realise B5 is a big ask now. The CG is dated, the acting occasionally clunky. But its the first series ever to attempt a 5 season story arc, and unlike BSG and Lost, JM Straczynski knew where he was going with the story from the start. He had to adjust occasionally, sure, but the overall arc was laid out in advance. As a result you get clues in Season 1 that aren't explained or resolved until Season 4 or 5. The depth really is staggering. However, its not as cutting edge as BSG, but I'd be inclined to say that had B5 been made.
Yup. I love Firefly and have gone back to B5 for seconds, but BSG's ending and what I learned afterward about the writing process left me so disgruntled that I have no desire to revisit it.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

yovargas wrote:Seriously, what am I supposed to do with my life now? :(
Well, I spent the entire month following reading interviews and essays trying to come to grips with the ending, and that didn't quite work. Your way is better.

I don't think the Chief got a full scene so much as he got a line stating his intentions, which is probably why you can't find it. I think it's in conversation with the Tighs, if that helps.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.