The Police to tour again!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Police to tour again!

Post by Alatar »

http://www.thepolicetour.com/news/

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR ITINERARY 2007

DATE: CITY: VENUE: ON SALE DATE:
28-May Vancouver, BC GM Place Saturday, Feb. 17
06-June Seattle, WA Key Arena To Be Announced
09-June Denver, CO Pepsi Center To Be Announced
15-June Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Garden Arena To Be Announced
16-June Manchester, TN Bonnaroo Festival To Be Announced
18-June Phoenix, AZ US Airways Arena To Be Announced
26-June Dallas, TX American Airlines Center To Be Announced
30-June New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena To Be Announced
02-July St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center To Be Announced
22-July Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre Saturday, Feb. 17
25-July Montreal, PQ Bell Centre Saturday, Feb. 17
28-July Boston, MA Fenway Park Tuesday, Feb. 20
01-Aug New York, NY Madison Square Garden Tuesday, Feb. 20
03-Aug New York, NY Madison Square Garden Tuesday, Feb. 20

Additional North American concert dates in Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Edmonton, Hartford, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, Tampa, San Francisco's Bay Area, Minneapolis/St. Paul and the Washington/Baltimore area will be announced in the next few weeks.

No info on the European tour yet.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Anyone see/hear them at the Grammy's? How did they sound?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

As good as ever. :)

Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Turn on the red light! Turn on the red light!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Every cake you bake. :D
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Australian dates haven't been confirmed; I've been checking with nervous anticipation and if they come, I'll be there!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Sigh. Nothing even close! I'd drive a few hours for that one.
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

I saw them in 1981 and again in 1983. I prefered it when Stewie and Andy did the backup vocals: they were not great, but it sounded more like rock & roll should sound than with the Motown style female backup singers.

I am not sure that I'd see them again. They were a great band in their day, but that day was over a quarter of a century ago. That, and have you seen the prices on concert tickets these days?!?!?! (When I was 17, I spent $15 to see the Rolling Stones: my parents could not understand why I'd want to pay so much to see men their age prance around in tights; now I'd be paying $250 to see men their age prance around in tights!)
Shown the gun? Then shoot it! But remember that one shot has many effects.....
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Police concert review from Vancouver's GM Place - 1st performance after 20 years

The first performance of the Punk SuperGroup The Police kicked off in Vancouver tonight. All tickets for the performance of their 100 date tour sold out inside 13 minutes of being released. This you would think would be some kind of record?

Not so. Believe it or not, the record goes to the Spice Girls tour that sold out in only 7 minutes! It is a sad reflection on our civilization that a packaged girl band should beat out one the 80's most original bands. Anyway, I digress.

Tonight the band from whom so much is expected performed for the first time since 1986 in front of a sellout crowd of 20 thousand fans. Count on your fingers - that's 21 years since they last publicly performed together (excluding the recent Grammy test to see if the audience was STILL there) - and 30 years since their first tour! Long gone are the days when their raw street sounds caused crowds reminiscent of the Beatles to converge on North London's Rainbow Theater. Their early songs were uncompromising reggae grooves with intricate
arrangements tempered by jazz overtones. They were unique and epitomized the term New Wave. The band's first hit single, 'Roxanne', being a typical example of their originality was a love song to a prostitute.

Yet, since The Police parted ways all those years ago, all three members of the band have pursued active solo careers. Andy Summers produced his classic 'Golden Wire' album and restated his mastery of the guitar that was reminiscent of his early days in Soft Machine. Stewart Copeland's credentials also have deep roots. Way back in 1975 Stewart was part of the highly successful band Curve Air and performed on their 'Midnight Wire' album. In more recent times he has been very involved in multi-media ranging from opera to movie soundtracks. Stewart has produced an excellent documentary entitled ' The Police - Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out '. It stands on its own feet as a documentary but offers unique insights into being a member of one of the all time great bands. Budding rock musicians can learn lot of what to expect when destiny comes calling by watching this excellent documentary.

The guys may have been out of the media spotlight but they haven't stopped being very active in the music scene. They definitely haven't been letting their instruments gather dust.
Sting has always been prominent whether it has been in the area of Human Rights or producing his deeply moving lyrics such as Moon Over Bourbon Street from 'Dream of the Blue Turtles' album.

Media reports that their classic hits have been 'retooled' has sponsored doubts as to whether the boys still have what it takes - or are attempting to recycle old material as new. Even after several months rehearsing together in Vancouver, would they still have the edge of 'Roxanne' or the poignancy of 'Every breath.' The kiss of death for any comeback tour is to apply a contemporary venear to their sounds in order to appear 'happening'. After all, that is why people flock to Second Comings - they want more of the same. Would The Police make that mistake? The capacity jammed GM arena in Vancouver was electric with anticipation. There was an expectant buzz of something very special about to happen - something that we would be able to tell our grandchildren about. Was this too much to expect?

It has to be remembered that The Police disbanded at the very peak of their popularity. They were at the crest of a meteoric rise - and they chose to walk away. It was not the acrimonious parting of so many bands unable to take the pressure of success. Both Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland had come to The Police with substantial track records, so understood the pressures before being launched into the hyper-space of rock stardom. Sting - Gordon Matthew Sumner - a former English teacher from Northumberland, England had not had that prior exposure to mass media - yet it was him that had been thrust into the spotlight when the band broke out with Roxanne.
At 7.30 pm tonight the warm up band of Fiction Plane took to the stage. Joe Sumner the lead vocalist confidently lead the band in front of the sellout 18 thousand crowd. Their post-grunge style was forceful and often hypnotic. The patience of the expectant crowd was not tested. Fiction Plane held the audience in their own right - and not just as a precursor to the main event. Cross the line, a song from their recent Left Side Of The Brain album was a standout and could well become their battle cry. While many songs hinted of Nirvana's influence on writer Joe Sumner, the voice held echoes of his father Sting who was to perform later. While it has to be said the genetics show in the talent expressed, no one can ever claim that Fiction Plane have ridden on the coat tails of their famous antecedent. Even their first album made no reference to Sting (which would have been almost unimaginable for most advertizing agencies trying to promote them). Joe Sumner has never leveraged the position of his father to progress his career - though it doesn't exactly hurt to have that distinctive and clear voice.

At around 9 pm, The Police came onto the stage. Without any preamble they broke into an extended medley of many of their famous songs. The sold out crowd were excitedly on their feet for most of the show. Given that The Police have created so many great songs, the emotional hits kept coming one after the other. If the audience had been cats, this would be cream heaven!

Either some exotic plants had been thrown into the air-conditioning plant or British Columbia's relaxed views on marijuana were self evident as memories of Marrakech came drifting back. The band were back and performing tight as ever. The two hour set never faltered. The lighting and sound were excellent without being flashy. A very novel use of giant projected dinosaur feet was used at one point as a subtle counter point to the lyrics.

Although many songs stood as fresh as the day they were first released, the standout number for me was "Wrapped Around Your Finger" which was even better than the original.
After more than two hours I realized something I hadn't anticipated. All three of the members of The Police were - and still are - virtuosos in their own right. Andy's licks on the guitar were as fine as a Chihuahua’s manicure. Stewart's deft touch on drums ranged seamlessly between light rain and dark thunder. As for Sting, his voice was as strong and clear as ever.

After two encores, the audience didn't demand more. They knew that The Police had given them everything - including a performance that will go down in history - and a tour that will most probably break all records.

So, after an absense of twenty years have The Police managed to recover their former glory?
Tonight The Police have redefined the term SuperGroup. If this is the very first leg of a 100 performance schedule, the rest of the world is in for a real treat. The Police are VERY much back!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Impenitent wrote:Australian dates haven't been confirmed; I've been checking with nervous anticipation and if they come, I'll be there!
Just for you Impy!

AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND TOUR DATES Date City Venue Fan Club Presale Starts Public Onsale
Jan. 17 WELLINGTON, NZ Westpac Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 19 AUCKLAND, NZ Western Springs Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 22 BRISBANE, AU Suncorp Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am
Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 24 SYDNEY, AU Telstra Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 26 MELBOURNE, AU Cricket Grounds Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 28 ADELAIDE, AU AAMI Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Feb. 1 PERTH, AU Members Equity Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

They will be in town shortly, and I have no chance in hell at getting a ticket.

Am I the only one who thinks their first album was their best?

Peanuts!!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It was a fantastic album alright, but the second was amazing too!

Comparison time:

Outlandos d'Amour

1. "Next to You" – 2:50
2. "So Lonely" – 4:49
3. "Roxanne" – 3:12
4. "Hole in My Life" – 4:52
5. "Peanuts" – 3:58
6. "Can't Stand Losing You" – 2:58
7. "Truth Hits Everybody" – 2:53
8. "Born in the 50's" – 3:40
9. "Be My Girl - Sally" – 3:22
10. "Masoko Tanga" – 5:40

Reggatta de Blanc

1. "Message in a Bottle" – 4:51
2. "Reggatta de Blanc" – 3:06
3. "It's Alright for You" – 3:13
4. "Bring on the Night" – 4:16
5. "Deathwish" – 4:13
6. "Walking on the Moon" – 5:02
7. "On Any Other Day" – 2:57
8. "The Bed's Too Big Without You" – 4:26
9. "Contact" – 2:38
10. "Does Everyone Stare" – 3:52
11. "No Time This Time" – 3:17

Sorry, too close to call.

Its not too late for tickets Holby!
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Alatar, my nephews (both in their mid-twenties now :help: ) went to that first performance in Vancouver (but it was back in May). As a matter of fact, one of them actually had tickets to BOTH the Vancouver performances!!! He said the second was a bit more polished, but the first was simply "electric", and he felt that it was a real privilege to see them together for the first time in so long.

Am I the only one who thinks their first album was their best?
I couldn't.......really, really couldn't, choose a "best" Police album. Each one, to me, has something special about it. I suppose if I could take only one of their albums to that proverbial desert island, it would probably be Synchronicity, but I really don't know how I would explain that choice.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So Saturday night I got the see the Police live.

The set list was varied, with classic album tracks nestled in among the hits.

Message in a Bottle
Synchronicity II
Walking On The Moon
Voices Inside My Head
When The World Is Running Down
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Driven To Tears
Truth Hits Everybody
Hole In My Life
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking In Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne
King Of Pain
So Lonely
Every Breath You Take
Next To You

Stewart Copeland was amazing on a number of tracks but "Wrapped around your finger" was simply a virtuoso tour de force. His percussion playing is just outstanding and much as I like his composing, its behind a drum kit that he belongs.

Andy Summers didn't disappoint either, though I would wish some of those famous riffs could have been a little cleaner. The overdriven distortion certainly added a lot of fill to the sound but at the expense of clarity. However I really can't complain about this because to hear a 3-piece band rock out a Stadium with no samples, no overdubs, no backing singers, just 3 incredibly talented musicians was astounding.

Naturally I had to leave Sting till last, because he IS the Police. That voice, those bass riffs, the undeniable presence of the man simply beggars belief. After the years of a more mellow Sting, most notably his latest album of Lute music you might be forgiven for thinking he had lost his edge. Well, any detractors had to eat their words. There isn't a vocalist on the live scene to even touch him. He'd eat Bono for breakfast and Jagger for lunch. The sheer energy he brings to the stage is awesome and that voice of his is a weapon that he knows how to use to best effect whether crooning to an Elizabethan madrigal or rocking out to 80,000 aging hippies like me. :)

But as a band, this is where they really shone. Every song had been completely deconstructed and put back together. In most cases, it was still very much the original song, but with added maturity. The guys are simply older, wiser and better musicians now than they were 20 years ago. They knew when to give us the classic riff, but once we were hooked, they were happy to take the song in new directions, some of which were undeniably jazz driven, but never indulgent. To quote an old Chris Rea album title, this was "New Light through Old Windows" not just a "Greatest Hits". There's mention of an acoustic release by the band and of course there's always the hope that the tour will be captured on CD and DVD.

I, for one, will be first in the queue.

Altogether now... Eee-Oh, Eee-Ay, Eee-Ay-Oh...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wish I could have been there, but I sure am happy that you were, Al! Sounds like a really great show.

Maybe the next trio of oldtimers that you'll get to see rock the house down will be Cream!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
eborr

Post by eborr »

shame I probably won't get to see them, wtf have aging hippies got to do with the police though Alatar. Except for tyhe fact that Andy Summers camr from the same school of music that gave us Greg Lake, Whetton and Fripp.
t
Every breath is such a great song, especially the spitting image version with ther puppet of thatch in the background, even more pertinent in the age of GW, and the instantly forgotten Bliar
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Alatar, I am so jealous! I never got to see the Police live, but did see Sting during the Bring on the Night tour, and I completely agree with you-he is an amazing entertainer and one of my favorite singers.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Alatar wrote:Just for you Impy!

AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND TOUR DATES Date City Venue Fan Club Presale Starts Public Onsale
Jan. 17 WELLINGTON, NZ Westpac Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 19 AUCKLAND, NZ Western Springs Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 22 BRISBANE, AU Suncorp Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am
Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 24 SYDNEY, AU Telstra Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 26 MELBOURNE, AU Cricket Grounds Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Jan. 28 ADELAIDE, AU AAMI Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
Feb. 1 PERTH, AU Members Equity Stadium Thur. July 19 @ 9 am Mon. July 30 @ 9 am
How did I miss this?! :shock: Stuck with my head under the bedcovers, I guess. I'm checking it out now!

Thanks Alatar :)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I hadn't noticed this thread before, but I'm glad I did now. Thanks for posting the review and your own thoughts, Alatar.

I caught the show in Charlotte last night and was thoroughly pleased with it. Sting's vocals were outstanding, despite the fact that he was recovering from the flu, and the choice of songs couldn't have been better.

Definitely a memorable concert.

:love:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup