The Band of Heaven

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Another great musician passes to the ancestor realm - Paco de Lucia, the great flamenco guitarist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh! I saw him play once--amazing!!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: The Band of Heaven

And another giant in the Rock pantheon has passed into the West.

RIP, Jack Bruce.

It's gettin' near dawn
When lights close their tired eyes
I'll soon be with you my love
To give you my dawn surprise
I'll be with you darling soon
I'll be with you when the stars start falling

I've been waiting so long
to be where I'm going
In the sunshine of your love

I'm with you, my love
The light's shinin' through on you
Yes, I'm with you, my love
It's the morning and just we two
I'll stay with you darling now
I'll stay with you till my seeds are all dried up

to be where I'm going

I'm with you, my love
The light's shinin' through on you
Yes, I'm with you, my love
It's the morning and just we two
I'll stay with you darling now
I'll stay with you till my seeds are all dried up

to be where I'm going
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Dammit. Who the hell would have thought Ginger Baker would outlive Bruce. Still, at least we had the Cream reunion before he died.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I had the same thought. Both of them, actually.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Passdagas the Brown

Re:

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Another great musician passes to the ancestor realm - Paco de Lucia, the great flamenco guitarist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s
I saw de Lucia play in Boston a while back, and he was amazing. RIP.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, I missed that. I didn't know Paco de Lucia passed away. :( He really was one of the greats.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Joe Cocker joins the choir. :(
Joe Cocker has died after a battle with lung cancer

Singer Joe Cocker has died aged 70, his management team has confirmed to ITV News.

Born John Robert Cocker on 20 May 1944 in Sheffield, he died today after a battle with lung cancer.

He lived in Sheffield until his early 20s. His international success as a blues/rock singer began in 1964. Joe created 40 albums and toured extensively around the globe.

He received a Grammy in 1983 for 'Up Where We Belong,' a duet with Jennifer Warnes and in 2007 received an OBE for his contribution to music. He is best known for songs like 'You are So Beautiful,' 'With a Little Help from my Friends,' and 'Unchain My Heart'.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Oh no! RIP.
Voronwë the Faithful

:( A true icon.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
eborr

Post by eborr »

Providing an aural backdrop Edgar Froese, not known to many but massively influential force in Electronic music,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Froese

This is one of my favourite ever bits of music, ever, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8J2doVjui4

And hitting the high notes Demis Roussos
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

A true giant has passed into the ancestor realm. Rest in peace, B.B. King. Lucille will miss you, and so shall we all.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, no. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

RIP BB
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

He was 89, he was in hospice—Mr. Prim listens to WWOZ (New Orleans music radio station) via the Internet all day while he works, and BB King was mentioned frequently, so we knew this was coming. He lived a long life and left an incredible legacy, but it's sad anyway.

"The Thrill Is Gone":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXsusJ787sU

(h/t Charlie Pierce)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Another giant has passed on, the legendary jazz saxophonist Ornette Coleman, one of the most innovative musicians of the past century. He will be missed, but his music lives on.

I remember one occasion when he sat in with the Grateful Dead at one of their concerts in Oakland, shortly after Jerry Garcia appeared on one his albums. He pushed them into places that I doubt even they realized they could go. Fond memories!
eborr

Post by eborr »

Chris Squire bass player of the prog group Yes has gone, only 67, one of the real maestros of the low end, and he could sing as well.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

One of the greats! He will be missed.
eborr

Post by eborr »

bit more sorry if this is self-indulgent but .........

when I was in my early teens, Yes and other similar bands were inspirational and aspirational figures, picking up the bass guitar on the grounds of "how hard can it bee it's only got 4 strings" Chris Squire was a role model, I really wanted to be able to play like him, unlike all the others who were content to stand at the back and provide a low rumble, Chris would be out in front playing the melody, still as my missus said, he may have died young, but what a great life, doing what he was born to do, earning reasonable money, and bringing joy to many, many people not a bad note to go out on. Coincidently I had just take delivery of the Songs of the Tsongas(sp) blu-ray, which was a recording of the last tour buy the best Yes line up
Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and White.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

That's certainly nothing to be sorry about!