The Band of Heaven

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
eborr

Post by eborr »

I was deeply, deeply saddened to learn of the untimely demise of Poly Styrene at the early age of 53.

At a time when feminism is defined and defiled by corporate women whose ambition exceeds their capabilty, Marian understood and articulated that womens place in the world was limited by societies expectations of them, and by their own response to that far more than by the glass ceiling perceptions of the middleclass an d middebrow undertalented who hijacked the feminist movement.

With her different looks and unconventional singing voice the stark beauty of the painful truth shone through.

You might guess I was a bit of a fan, Mrs E was lucky enough to see her perform live.

Perhaps the germ-free adolescents are no more, but Poly has a place in the Band of Angels, even if she is off-key every now and then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmlujq7qsW0
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Farewell to a Believer

Davy Jones, Manchester-born lead singer with 60s band The Monkees, has died aged 66, in his sleep at his home in Florida. His publicist, Deborah Robicheau, said he had a massive heart attack.

Jones was voted all time teen idol in 2008 by Yahoo! Music.

Brtish born Jones got his show-biz break aged 11 on British soap "Coronation Street", and appeared in "Z-Cars" before initially leaving showbusiness to train as a jockey. After worldwide stardom with The Monkees Jones eventually returned to his first love of horse racing and went on to train horses.

Despite being a manufactured band, The Monkees grew into their roles, developing their talents and earning their stardom. Although not allowed to play their own instruments on their early records, Jones and his three cohorts -- Micky Dolenz, Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork -- had several hits that sold millions of copies, including "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer." Their TV show and much-loved hits remain a lasting tribute
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I loved The Monkees.

And I remember Davy Jones on The Street. :(
Dig deeper.
eborr

Post by eborr »

played youtube monkees a lot last night, despite being called a sad old git by Mrs E.

Still I'd rather be a day dream believer that accept the "truth" that surpresses us nowadays.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

They had some serious songwriters cranking stuff out--Boyce & Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King. The session men on the recordings were top-notch too.

I always found it kind of cool that Jones did some training as a jockey, and later, bred horses.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Interesting anecdote: David Bowie's real name was David Jones, and he changed it partly because of confusion over his namesake!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

In retrospect, the Monkees got a bad rap for their apparent musical inabilities. True they employed session musicians, had songwriters and had to learn different instruments, but they were a talented group and had that certain something that made them very likable.

They were however a dysfunctional band from the beginning to the end. Their last three tours consisted of cancellations at the end because they basically couldn't take each other anymore.

I think their story is a bit of a Catch 22, in that they would never have been together had it not been for Don Kirshner and the tv show, but those two things ultimately kept them from reaching their full potential.

In any case, RIP Davey. A seemingly gentle soul (for a musician anyway) and a pleasant part of my childhood. Great tonal quality and a showman that can stand with any of them.

:cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8urgvC0TR8
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

A total rip off of the Beatles, but a quintessential depiction of the Monkees and the 60's and a classic album cover. Love it love it love it.

Even Run DMC loves the Monkees...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rer7e_g2 ... re=related
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Ever see Head? Last thing they did together as a group. The cameos and the quality of the music are a blast.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Oh yeah. That was one of those cult classics like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Tommy, Reefer Madness and Wake Me When the War Is Over that were popular in the day.

The movie actually took pot shots at the "Monkees" phenomena and songs that were written for them. I suspect drugs were also involved.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Of all the opportunities I have had in my life to feel "old", this one takes the cake by a long-shot. An interview with some old guy pretending to be Mike Nesmith in 2010. Holy sh*******!!! :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgS7YbqP ... re=related
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

tee hee

:D

Suck it up, gramps.
Dig deeper.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I was deeply saddened to hear today of the recent death of Jon Lord, keyboard player with Deep Purple and co-writer of many of the band’s legendary songs including Smoke On The Water. He had been suffering with pancreatic cancer, and died from a pulmonary embolism on July 16 at the age of 71.

Lord was influenced by classical, blues and jazz but played his Hammond organ with a rock attitude and helped Deep Purple become pioneers of progressive and heavy rock. He was one of the first rock stars to combine classical music with rock, composing Concerto for Group and Orchestra, which the band performed with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall in 1969. The band's hard rock anthems laid the groundwork for heavy metal music, and Lord played with many bands and musicians throughout his career, including Whitesnake.

Continuing to focus on his classical aspirations alongside his Deep Purple career, Lord finally left the band for good in 2002 to concentrate on his solo work, moving into the Classical mainstream with acclaimed works such as the Durham Concerto, a piece I particularly love...

(featuring Kathryn Tickell on Northumberland Pipes)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:( Yeah, Jon Lord's passing hit me hard.

Deep Purple was the band that defines my teenage years and I still have my vinyl copies of Machine Head and In Rock, even though we haven't had a turntable in 15 years. I sold the other albums but those two were too embedded in the warp and weft of the fabric of those formative years for me to ever let go of them.

RIP.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

RIP
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I just heard that Ray Manzarek, the keyboardist of The Doors, has joined his old bandmate, Jim Morrison, after a battle with cancer (thanks, Alatar, for the heads up on Facebook). Ray was a musical genius, who I don't think gets the credit that he deserves. The musical world has not seen the likes of him before or since.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

At the risk of heresy, I think Ray's keyboards, even more than Jim's singing, defined The Doors' sound and mood. Think about their cover of "Whisky Bar/Alabama Song" without it.

Yeah, I can't do it either.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

At the risk of heresy - and I say this as Doors a fan - Morrison's band was better than Morrison. He grabbed the limelight away from some super talented guys. Manzarek was fantastic.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think it is heresy, I think it is fact. Jim was certainly a unique personality, and great lyricist and (in his way) singer, but no one played the way Ray did. No one.

Let's also not forget Robbie Krieger, though. He is a vastly underrated guitarist and songwriter.