A moment of silence...

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

A moment of silence...

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Mime Marcel Marceau dead at 84

I've always appreciated visual forms of acting, and mime fits in there as a stylized form, but I never found myself able to appreciate it as well, perhaps. However, I recognize Marceau's importance and influence. He cited Chaplin and Keaton as influences, and in turn influenced others.

The moonwalk (for example) was appropriated from Marceau by Michael Jackson.

BrianIs Image AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

He was the only mime I could ever tolerate.
I found his role in Silent Movie to be pretty funny. There was only one word spoken during the entire movie and it was by him. :D
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Something I never knew about him-

Marceau was born Marcel Mangel on March 22, 1923, in Strasbourg, France. His father Charles, a butcher who sang baritone, introduced his son to the world of music and theater at an early age. The boy adored the silent film stars of the era: Chaplin, Buster Keaton and the Marx brothers.

When the Germans marched into eastern France, he and his family were given just hours to pack their bags. He fled to southwest France and changed his last name to Marceau to hide his Jewish origins.

With his brother Alain, Marceau became active in the French Resistance. Marceau altered children's identity cards, changing their birth dates to trick the Germans into thinking they were too young to be deported. Because he spoke English, he was recruited to be a liaison officer with Gen. George S. Patton's army.

In 1944, Marceau's father was sent to Auschwitz, where he died.

Later, he reflected on his father's death: "Yes, I cried for him."

But he also thought of all the others killed: "Among those kids was maybe an Einstein, a Mozart, somebody who (would have) found a cancer drug," he told reporters in 2000. "That is why we have a great responsibility. Let us love one another."
Lily Rose
earthbound misfit

Post by Lily Rose »

Northerner wrote:
But he also thought of all the others killed: "Among those kids was maybe an Einstein, a Mozart, somebody who (would have) found a cancer drug," he told reporters in 2000. "That is why we have a great responsibility. Let us love one another."
Yes, Indeed. That is the most important thing in the world. Until people can forgive 2000 year old grudges and learn to love each other, there will be no peace on this earth. :(

*steps off of soapbox*
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Marceau was amazing.

I have a friend who is a gifted professional mime. It is a performance art that requires stamina, agility, flexibility and complete ease with the body (he is a former dancer). It also requires careful observation, intelligence, creativity and a sensitive attunement to emotions.

To have had all those qualities and also to have revived an almost-lost art form ... that's genius.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup